Road Trip, Baby

The final bell of the day rang, and the students all filed out of the classrooms, heading to their lockers. "You know, I've only been here for a few days and I'm beginning to notice something," Megumi said as the group walked through the busy hall. "There is nothing to do here. Like, at all."

"Nonsense." Dre gave a wide smile. "We can do one of my favorite hobbies: watch paint dry. I hear a new season's supposed to start tonight." Megumi, Kim, Michael, and Keiko all stopped and stared at Dre. "I'm just saying."

"Ignoring your idiotic comment." The group started walking again as Michael continued. "From what I've read, this town used to be a very populous place to live. I believe that there was even a theatre here once, but that was a long time ago."

"Well, we do have a museum," Kim contributed. "Though, I don't really think you'd want to go there. It's pretty small. Like, the school's gym is larger than it."

"Are you being serious?" Megumi asked. "Do any of you all have any idea what to do?"

The group mulled it over after they left the foyer, into the scorching and humid September air. "God, it's so hot," Dre groaned. "Anyone wanna cool off in an oven?"

"Cool off? Hey, I got it!" Keiko smiled wide. "We could go to the lake. It should still be open, right?"

Megumi arched an eyebrow. "Lake? There's a lake by here?"

"Well, kind of," Kim said. "The closest lake to us is Lake DeGray, but that's past Arkadelphia. It's about an hour away, a little over thirty minutes if you take the interstate."

Patting off the sweat from her forehead, Megumi said, "It's better than standing in the maw of hell."

"Should we call Ian and Rose?" Dre asked.

"Sure. Why not?"

"Rockin'. I call shotgun!"

He began to rush to Megumi's car, only to be stopped by a strong grip on his shoulder. "You're sadly mistaken. I call shotgun," Michael stated.

"Like hell, you do. Don't you have to shadow Keiko or something? I'm pretty sure that it's illegal for three people to sit in the front seat."

"She's going to be in the same car as us. I think she will be fine," Michael said through his teeth. "Besides, I need the leg room."

"There will be enough leg room in the back seat if you sit behind me," Dre snarled.

"Can we just go?" Megumi groaned. "You boys are sitting in the back. Kim is sitting in the front."

Both Dre and Michael turned to Kim. "I-I'd rather not be a part of this."

"Sorry. My car, my rules."

They all filed into the car. "So, Dre and I already have our swimwear. Does any of you need a ride home to get yours?"

"I do, but I don't think my parents will be okay with this," Kim said.

Megumi smiled as she cranked on the car. "Your parents will totally be okay with it, dude." She turned to the back seat. "What about you two?"

"We don't have anything to swim in." Keiko said, sounding blue.

"That, and I can't swim," added Michael.

"We'll just have to change that, then." She turned back towards the front. "Do you live close?"

"Yes, about two blocks down the road. I'm still a bit shaky on this. My father would never allow me to travel with someone he's never met."

"Let's go meet them, then," she said before driving off of the school campus.

Megumi drove down the street, her music turned up loud enough to barely hear each other. "My house is up here to the left," Kim called above the music. "It's the brick house with the fence."

She pulled into their driveway. The house was a moderate-sized, red bricked house with a black, wooden door. A glass door was in front of it, trimmed with a white frame. "I have a bad feeling about this."

"You're just hungry," Megumi said as they got of the car. "C'mon, it'll be fine."

"If you say so."

The five walked up the front door, and waited. "Well? Aren't we going in?" Megumi asked. Almost as soon as she did, the door opened, and an older, slim man stood in front of them. He had honey-golden hair, which reached the ends of his earlobes, and green eyes. It was odd. Even though Kim was the tallest member of their team, her father was barely taller than Ian. His tan suit suggested that he had just gotten back from work.

"Kim? What's going on?"

"H-hi, dad. Can I go to the lake with my friends?"

"Absolutely not," her father said. "You know that we can't- hold on." He opened the glass door and peered close enough to Megumi's face to see her reflection in his eyes. "You look vaguely familiar."

If he says he remember me from his dreams, I'm totally leaving.

"Who are your parents?"

"T-Toney and Tiffany Gladestone."

"Gladestone? Are you serious? I went to school with Toney and Tiffany on Amity. You're a really lucky girl to have them as parents."

"Thank you." I guess.

"And you," he turned towards Dre. "You look familiar as well. Who are your parents?"

"Raheem and Abigail Wolf."

His face soured slightly. "I know of Raheem from when he was teamed with Toney. He's certainly changed a lot since his battle against Toney's group. They've had a lot of falling out before he broke off and made his own team. From what I remember Toney telling me, they both wanted to be the leader, though both men possessed the qualities that make an excellent leader. There I go rambling. My sincerest apologies."

"So, is it okay if she comes with us?" Megumi asked.

"Sure. Your parents are good enough people to trust. I'll go and get your swimsuit." He disappeared into the house for a second and returned with a red, one piece swimwear. "Be sure to bring her back by ten, alright?" Kim grabbed the swimsuit and hugged her father.

"Can do, sir."

"Okay. Be safe." He kissed Kim's forehead before they walked back into the car.

"Road trip, baby!" Dre called as they piled into the car.