Truth

Steam flowed through the red painted bathroom. The Japanese painting of a tree with pink flowers falling daintily around became hardly viewable due to condensation. Kim took a deep breath as she let the warm water flow across her bare skin. Dre's words of reassurance echoed through her mind. My parents will be safe. She exhaled as she clutched the heart-shaped locket draped around her neck. Her mother, a proud Armonian warrior, would be more than able to protect herself against the Edge Walkers. Her father, a Spirit-elemental, always told her stories of how things were when he'd met his mother. An Edge Walker invasion falls in comparison to a full-on war, right? There was no need to worry.

She held her head under the shower head. Her ears twitched at the stream's touch. It felt good to finally let her ears free from under her hat. Closing her eyes, she ran her fingers through her hair. There was a knock at the door. "Kim? Are you in there? It's Sakura."

"Miss Sakura?" Her eyes shot open. "Has everything calmed down at Sylvia?"

"Not sure. Loyalty and I were sent here to watch over you all. I'm preparing supper for you guys now."

"Okay, thank you. Oh, Loyalty?"

"What's up?" his voice called above the shower, sounding much deeper than Dre's.

"Dre left whenever he came back to Earth. He said he was going to his sanctuary."

Loyalty sighed. "That's all the way across town." She heard Sakura's voice, but couldn't understand what she was saying due to the shower. "Nah, don't worry about it. He'll probably need the walk to clear his mind."

"Loyalty? Sakura?" Kim interrupted. She had to get something off of her chest. If she wanted to truly trust her squad leader, she had to know how Sakura would feel knowing that she was a half-breed. "What do you two think of me?"

"What do you mean?" "Sakura asked.

Her heart pounded against her ribcage. She fell silent, trying to will the question out of her mouth. What if telling them was a mistake? She shook her head, trying to force the thought away from her mind. They had to know, as much as she did. "I'm... I'm a-" It's now or never. She swallowed her fear. "I'm a half-Amian and half-Armonian." For a moment, the only sound was of the water rushing from the shower head. This was a mistake. A big mistake.

"Is that a bad thing?" she barely heard Loyalty say.

"Most Amians think so." Sakura's voice amplified. "You're fine with me, Kim, no matter what the other Amians think of you."

"Just never change the way you are," Loyalty added.

Joy and relief filled through her. She couldn't help but to smile, despite her eyes burning from the urge to weep tears of joy. "Thank you, very much."

"Don't mention it," Loyalty said.

Sounds like someone just got the best news of their life, Megumi thought as she stuffed a forkful of gumbo in her mouth. The rich flavor of chicken, sausage, rice, and vegetables exploded in her mouth. If she wasn't careful, this would be her new favorite food.

A separate plate of gumbo sat on her counter along is a tall glass of cold milk and a saucer of gumbo for Mew-Mew sat on the bed beside her. She picked up a comic book from her wardrobe and turned her television on for background noise. Realization flashed through her as she read: she had never been at a sleepover. She had no idea of what people were supposed to do at them. Well, this is going to be awkward. She began eating another forkful until her slowly swung open.

"How're you feeling, sunshine?" Megumi asked as Kim walked in.

"I feel much better now, thank you," Kim said with a shy smile. "Is that for me?" she asked, pointing at the plate of gumbo. Megumi nodded. Her smile widened as she took the plate and cup and at down by the frame of the bed.