The Abnormal Girl Meets the Socially Awkward Boy

ThankGod it's McManus.

Despite the shabbiness of the school, Vice Principal McManus always dressed as if he was a dean at a university, contrary to the rest of the faculty, who normally dressed in their street clothes. Today, he wore a black blazer over a white shirt and a black gradient tie. Even though he looked as young as a college student, he was the same age as Dre's father, Raheem. "Running late again, Dre?" he said without looking up. "What's this, the fourth time this semester?"

"I don't really remember asking you, McManus," Dre said. He didn't want to admit that it actually was the fourth time, especially since they were only a month into the school year.

McManus glanced up at him through a pair of square, silver-rimmed glasses. Sweat dripped from Dre's chin, and only one side of his hair was brushed. McManus shook his head with a grin. "You look like hell. Your parents couldn't give you a ride? I know Raheem don't have much to do nowadays."

It always bothered Dre that McManus spoke like a southerner, despite not having a southern drawl. Running his brush through his hair, Dre said, "Nope. Mom and dad were gone before I woke up. Ian had to drop me off. You know how bad he drives."

He grimaced, remembering when he almost had a head on collision with Ian in his senior year. "That boy's going to run someone over one of these days."

He heard someone clear their throat from the entrance door. Dre breath caught as he glanced at the young woman shutting the door. Her scarlet, silky hair dangled just below the small of her back. She had large, almond-shaped midnight blue eyes with light-green eye shadow. Her red T-shirt hovered just above the belt-line of her over-sized black jeans. She looked at Dre, curious. "Uh, do you, like, need a towel or something?" she asked.

Dre's heart pounded at the sight of her. "Whoa... I mean, yeah, sure. Thanks," he said as she gave him a napkin from her pants pocket. He dabbed it against his forehead, taking in the robust scent of fresh strawberries.

"Don't mention it."

Mr. McManus's eyes twinkled from behind his glasses. He gave an impish chuckle. "Where are my manners? Miss Megumi, this is my best bud, Ke'Undre Wolf, better known as Dre. Dre, this is our new student from Japan, Megumi-"

"Gladestone. Pleased to meet you," she interrupted as she extended a honey-colored hand. She looked up at him, a smirk formed on her freckled face.

"Y-yeah. You too," Dre said as he hastily shook her hand. He could feel his face heating up; he considered himself lucky that his dark skin didn't show him blushing.

You have a girlfriend, Dre. Stop it.

"So, did the principal show up yet?" she asked McManus.

"Nah. I figured he wouldn't, so I filled out your schedule for you. Looks like you're in luck. Dre here has the same first period class as you. You wouldn't mind showing her to it, would you, Dre?" McManus asked as he pushed his glasses up the wing of his nose, grinning.

"Sure. Oh, do you want your towel back?" he asked Megumi.

"Eh, you keep it," she told Dre as she took her schedule from McManus. "I'll be waiting for you in the foyer."

"Okay, see you out there," he told her. He gave an awkward grin as she shut the door.

"I see that look on your face, Dre."

"W-what look?"

"That look you was giving our littleforeign exchanged student. Trust me, I know true love whenever I see it. It'swritten all over your face."

Dre gave a dry stare at McManus. "So, about my tardy slip."

"Don't worry about it, bro. I'll just say you were helping me with something and lost track of time. Go ahead and show your future girlfriend to her class," he told Dre through a laugh.

Turning to the door, Dre stated, "You know, this room isn't sound proof. She probably heard every word you're saying."

"She probably wasn't paying attention. Oh, and Dre?" McManus called as he opened the door. "When you two get married, do you mind if I be the best man?"

Dre slammed the door. He could hear McManus laughing from outside of the office. Raking his fingers through his black, shoulder-length hair, Dre sighed, "So, ready to go?"

"Does he really talk to all the students like that?" Megumi questioned, looking back at the office door.

"Nope. Just me, since he's a family friend. His mouth just works faster than his brain."