Meeting the Fallen King

"Hello? Is anyone here?" Dre's voice echoed through the nothingness. He slowly looked around, dressed only in his pajamas, lost in the void. Darkness seemed to stretch on for miles, and even though he couldn't see anyone around him, he felt as if there was another presence here. How long have I been here? How do I leave?

"They say that sleep is related to death. Wouldn't you agree, Ke'Undre?" he heard a voice say behind him. Dre quickly spun on his heels to Hiro walking up to him, his wooden sandals clacking against the floor. His eyes lingered on Dre, staring almost through his soul. "I'm sure you have a lot of questions you may want to ask. Unfortunately, we don't have much time to speak. I can only address the more pressing matters."

"How are you here? I mean, in my dreams. Aren't you, like, dead?"

"If you'd let me finish," the former King sighed, "I'd be able to tell you. Yes, Ke'Undre, I am dead. I was slain by my best friend to ensure victory in my last battle against Aggaron the Dark." Great, I'm speaking to a ghost in my dreams. Fantastic. "Our battle, however, is not over."

"What do you mean? How can you fight if you're dead?"

"The work of a King is never over. Even in death, we must guard the current King from Aggaron's magic until it is time for the final confrontation between good and evil. If that time ever comes."

"But why can't we just go to him now and destroy him? Wouldn't it be easier that way?"

"Theoretically, yes, however it will throw off the balance of the universe if the ultimate good kills the ultimate evil, and vice versa. Compared to the time it took for him to prepare in the last battle, I would assume we have about eight years to prepare. Even as I say that, though, there is still a very strong possibility that he may come to power much sooner than that, or later. Something has disrupted the balance just enough to make both the King of Elements and Aggaron the Dark return much sooner than anticipated.

"Which brings us to you. Over the past few weeks of training, have you noticed that your elemental and sword fighting has not improved at all?" Dre nodded. "The reasoning is simple; without meeting me, the former King, your fighting skills will not progress fast enough to fight against Aggaron. You must have a bond with the past Kings, absorb our experience, triumphs, tragedies, everything that makes us who we are. We must fight as one if we are to overcome darkness in this never-ending battle."

"But why bother with me?" Dre sat on the ground, keeping his eyes on his limp fingers. "I'm a nobody; a loser. If I can barely even protect Kim and Megumi from Edge Walkers, how could I possibly even consider winning a war with Aggaron?"

Sighing, Hiro said, "It's no wonder you're thinking like this. You must know something before you receive your gift from me." The idea of getting gifts perked Dre up slightly. Kneeling in front of Dre, Hiro continued. "The reason that you do not feel like the hero you are destined to be may also be linked to the reason why it took so long for me to be able to create a bond with you. You were not supposed to be the King of Elements." Dre propped his head up, looking into Hiro's gray, determined eyes. "It's by pure luck that you've been given this opportunity to be Amity's guardian."

Dre scoffed as he lowered his head. "Figures."

"Let me finish," Hiro said calmly. "You were lucky to have this power, so do you intend on wasting it, or do you intend on do something with it?" He slid a sword from his sash and held it out to him. "Take hold of this sword, Ke'Undre Wolf, and reap a small sample of your power, your right: the power of the King of Elements."

Dre gazed at the glossy sheath, feeling its power drawing him in to it. He brought his hand to the handle of the katana, looking at Hiro's stony face.

Gulping, he grabbed the blade. The moment his hand touched the handle, he felt power surge through him like a jolt of lightning. The world flashed, transporting him to a world of endless skies. He no longer felt like the weak, incompetent Dre from before. This was a much more confident, brave Dre. He saw that the sword was changing shape. The blade grew wider and straightened into a broadsword. The handle shorted to barely fit both hands. The hilt flared out into blue wings, centered with an emerald. A chain slunk out of the pommel, bearing the insignia of the Spirit elementals at the base. The Suscéptor. Just as the power began filling him, a tunnel of darkness began to form around his vision. He began to panic as he swung his sword haphazardly through the darkness.

"Do not be afraid," the disembodied voice of Hiro seemed to come from all directions. "You have only taken your first step in being the warrior that Amity and Earth truly needs. You will receive many trails and hardships as you prepare for the great battle against Aggaron. But do not be afraid. You have generations of Kings who are here to guide you through your hardships, to guide you through the pain. To guide you through the darkness.

"Do not be afraid."