Welcome to the Team

Chris Blade stopped the students in front of a large iron door. A deep wave of fear seem to enumerate from the door, as if the Grim Reaper himself was waiting to collect their souls on the other side. He very well may be. There were no windows, no way to see what it was keeping in. The only thing that decorated the door was a giant bolt lock.

Dre tried to find comfort in the words that Toney told them before the feast. I can assure you that if you follow our directions, you will not be in any life-threatening situations. The more he looked at the door however, the more he thought about what the Edge Walker's Forest must look like, as well as its inhabitants, the less he felt confident in his chances of survival.

First, I get assaulted by Peewee, then I get strangled by Dixon, and now I'm a few feet away from my death. Yeah, this just isn't my day.

"Hold up! One second!" a calm voice called out from the other end of the hallway. The crowd of students looked back to find Toney, Michael, and Keiko running towards them. "Sorry for the hold up, Mr. Blade. Excuse me, guys," he said as he gently nudged the students aside. Once he made his way to the front, he turned back to the students. He took a deep breath and cleared his throat before he began to speak. "If I may have your attention, please-" Dre figured it was pointless to ask for the students' attention, considering all of the students had fallen deathly silent, as if they were witnessing a funeral, possibly their own. "This is the entrance to the Edge Walker's Forest. As I'm sure Mr. Blade has explained to you, though quite rudely I might add," Chris Blade simply shrugged nonchalantly, "every Amian has to go through this ordeal at least once in their life. I've done it, your parents have done it, and now you will do it. In this exam, you will not only learn about the Amian power that you harness within yourself, but you will also learn about the importance of teamwork, patience, and the importance of distinguishing between friend and foe. And now-" he turned to the door and gave the latch a great heave; fast, rhythmic clacking of the door matched with Dre's heart thumping at Mach speed, "it is time to venture inside the forest. Once inside, you will find three teachers waiting for you; Mrs. Gladestone, Mrs. Kimachi, and Mrs. Bright, who will put you in teams of seven." The door had finally stopped clanging, and it felt as if Dre's heart had stopped beating with it. He pulled the massive door open as he said, "I wish you all the best of luck."

The students began spilling inside of the room. The sun shone through the area where there should have been a ceiling, and an enormous sword stood on a stone pedestal in front of the ominous, dark forest about fifty yards from the entrance. In front of the sword were three women. In the center, Dre automatically recognized, was Tiffany Gladestone, who held a clipboard under her arm and looked stone-faced at the incoming students. The other two, Dre had not seen before. To her left was a young black girl with black, curly hair which draped over her shoulders. She looked around absent-mindedly, as if she hadn't noticed the shuffling of the students. To her right was a beautiful young woman with shiny, shoulder-length black hair. Her dark brown, almond-shaped eyes were focused on studying the clipboard in front of her eyes. She wore a black tank top and a pair of black cargo pants, along with a small, golden necklace which held a gold ring.

"I want everyone to line up in three single file lines!" Tiffany commanded as the rest of the students made their way in. They quickly scurried around each other, rushing to get lined up. Dre found himself standing in the back row, with Ian to his left and Kim to his right, who face reddened as she adverted her gaze from Dre. "Allow me to welcome you to your entrance exam room, the Edge Walker's Forest. I do hope that you take this exam seriously, because your life depends on what you do once the Edge Walkers are released. Not only is your life at stake here, but also your future as an Amian. If you do not awaken your Amian power, you will not be able to enroll in this year's class, and must wait one year to retry, though that rarely happens.