Jellicle Songs For Jellicle Cats

Once Munkustrap had pounced from the darkness of the automobile from the opposite side of the yard, I heard the beginnings of an oboe and clarinet solo ring through my ears. (Jellicle Songs For Jellicle Cats) The next cat to appear was the brown and white Siamese Cassandra, whom I hadn't met until last year's ball. She positioned herself with one leg up and one paw outstretched. Munkustrap crawled down the automobile farther toward the ground. Suddenly, Skimbleshanks, or as I normally call him Skimble, appeared and sniffed the air about four or five times, his nose twitching violently as he did so. Ademetus, a ginger and white tabby tom, and Alonzo then made their presence known from above the car that Munkustrap still laid near. The other set of twins, Corciopat and Tantomile, rolled in a summersault in almost perfect timing. They looked to their left and right as Tumblebrutus appeared in front of them. Plato, a gold and black cat almost similar to Demeter then made his appearance above Quaxo and I. It was then that Demeter made her appearance next to Munkustrap as he started to sing.

Munkustrap: Are you blind when you're born?
Demeter: Can you see in the dark?
Skimbleshanks: Can you look at a king?
Asparagus: Can you sit on his throne?
Plato: Can you say of your bite, that it's worse than your bark?
Alonzo: Are you cock of the walk...
Jemima and Sillabub: When you're walking alone?
All: Because Jellicles can and Jellicles do. Jellicles do and Jellicles would.

It was then that some of the cats started to arch their back as they stood up, making them even more feline in action than appearance. I too, found myself arching my back as they did almost as second instinct.

All: Jellicles would and Jellicles can. Jellicles can and Jellicles do.
Jellylorum: When you fall on your head, do you land on your feet?
Corciopat: Are you tense when you sense there's a storm in the air?
Jemima: Can you find your way back when you're lost in the street?
Old Deuteronomy: Do you know how to go to the Heavyside Layer?
All: Because Jellicles can and Jellicles do. Jellicles do and Jellicles can. Jellicles can and Jellicles do. Jellicles do and Jellicles can. Jellicles can and Jellicles do.
Tantomile: Can you ride on a broomstick to places far distant?
Victoria and Jennyanydots: Familiar with candle...
Bill Bailey: With book and with bell?
Bombalurina: Were you Whittington's friend?

It was then that Quaxo jumped from our hiding spot right into the group of singing Jellicles as he burst out his favorite line from the song.

Quaxo: The Pied Piper's assistant?
Tumblebrutus: Have you been an alumnus of heaven or hell?
Mungojerrie: Are you mean like a minx?
Rumpleteazer: Are you lean like a Lynx?
Electra: Are you keen to be seen when you're smelling a rat?
Cassandra: Were you there when the Pharaohs commissioned the Sphinx?
All: If you were and you are, you're a Jellicle cat. Jellicle songs for Jellicle cats. Jellicle songs for Jellicle cats! Jellicle song for Jellicle songs for cats. Jellicle songs for Jellicle cats. Jellicle songs for Jellicle cats.

It was then that I decided to make an entrance to my group of Jellicle friends. I grabbed onto a nearby swing and flew through the air

All: We can fly through the air! Like a flying trapeze! We turn off a summersault and bounce on a tire. We can run up a wall. We can swing through the trees.

It was then that Munkustrap grabbed me from behind and swung myself around his back and shoulder then back onto the ground. I playfully growled at him, and he returned it with a smile.

All: We can balance on bars, we can walk on a wire. Jellicles can and Jellicles do. Jellicles can and Jellicles do. Jellicles can and Jellicles do. Jellicles can and Jellicles do. Jellicle songs for Jellicle cats! Jellicle songs for Jellicle cats. Jellicles songs for Jellicle cats. Jellicle songs for Jellicle cats!
Arabella and the other Queens: Can you sing at the same time in more than one key? Duets by Rossini...
Toms: And waltzes by Strauss?

All of us then swung our heads to the rhythm of one of our favorite waltzes by Strauss. As I did this, I felt both Munkustrap's and Quaxo's fur both brushing against mine. I prepared myself for the next verse, as I was vital a few lines later.

Toms: And can you, as cats do, begin with a C?
Arabella: Aaa! (That is how I imagined the C would be written like.)
All: That always triumphantly brings down the house? Jellicle cats are queens of the night, singing at astronomical heights. And learning pieces from the Messiah. Hallelujah! A Jellicle choir!

I then placed one of my paws over the other while the rest of the cats did as well. I straightened my back to appear taller than Quaxo but failed as I am about a few inches shorter than him.

(If I get the lyrics wrong for this part I'm sorry... I couldn't hear this part very well in the recordings)

All: The mystical definitely and no strengthen valenity. From the cathedral. Live to everlasting cat!

I scrunched up my nose and arched my back to look more fierce as I whispered the last few lines.

All: Feline, fearless, faithful and true to others who do. What. Jellicles do and Jellicles can. Jellicles can and Jellicles do. Jellicle cats sing Jellicle chants. Jellicle songs for Jellicle cats. Jellicle songs for Jellicle cats. Jellicle songs for Jellicle cats. Jellicle songs for Jellicle cats!

I found myself squished to the front of the group right next to Rumpleteazer, Victoria, and Sillabub. I took this as an opportunity to show some of my new found dance skills in the next verse.

All: Practical cats, dramatical cats, pragmatical cats, fanatical cats, oratorical cats, Delphic Oracle cats, skeptical cats, dispeptical cats, romantical cats, pedantical cats, critical cats, parasitical cats, allegorical cats, metaphorical cats, statistical cats and mystical cats, political cats, hypocritical cats, clerical cats, hysterical cats, cynical cats, rabbinical cats.

As we all sang this part, a group of us would branch out and claw at the air, hissing or growling silently as we did so. The group I would branch out with would be with Cassandra, Tumblebrutus, Plato, Ademetus, and to what looked like my brother's distaste, Munkustrap. I, on the other hand, couldn't be happier that Munkustrap was in my group. Each cat chose with group to be in during a song, so the fact that Munkustrap chose my group and danced with me in the beginning seemed to be a shock to Quaxo.

All: Jellicle songs for Jellicle cats. Jellicle songs for Jellicle cats. Jellicle songs for Jellicle cats. Jellicle songs for Jellicle cats. Jellicle songs for Jellicle cats!

After we had finished the song, I saw Asparagus hunched over in a part of the yard staring into the distance. His fur was slightly puffed up and his ears were flat. It wasn't until he sang that I realized what the young Tom was so upset about.

Asparagus: There's a man over there, with a look of surprise. As much is to say, well now who about that?

Munkustrap ran over to the brown and white tabby and looked in the direction Asparagus was and sang with him. When Munkustrap ran by me, I couldn't help but feel my heart pulling towards him. What sort of magic spell was I under? Once Munkustrap sang, I almost felt my knees tremble.

Munkustrap: Do I actually see, with my own very eyes. A man who's not heard of a Jellicle cat? What's a Jellicle cat?

The entire group of Jellicles gasped, and I as well, once Munkustrap finished his line. This man didn't know what a Jellicle cat was? That, purely by itself, was slightly insulting. What's a Jellicle cat?