Skimbleshanks The Railway Cat

After Gus and Jellylorum left the yard, a more upbeat tune led by the harpsichord flittered into the yard. I was surprised when no one reacted at first, since Gus had left them in a small state of sadness. I then leapt out of Munkustrap and Deme's arms with my tears long gone from my face with a smile beaming. I looked then to Old Deuteronomy who found my gaze as we started the verse about our favorite railway cat. Jemima then joined with us as I bounced around in a kittenish like state, to the amusement of my mate and brother.

Arabella and Old Deuteronomy: Skimbleshanks the railway cat!
All: The cat of the railway train! There's a whisper down the line at eleven thirty nine when the night mail's ready to depart. Saying, "Skimble? WHERE IS SKIMBLE! Has he gone to hunt the thimble? We must find him or the train can't start!"

It was then that we turned our attention to the sleeping form of the orange tabby that we sung about. When we screamed the one line, Skimble immediately woke up and nearly fell off the stove that he laid upon. Munkus escorted Deuteronomy back to the tire as Skimble sang his own line. As he did so, he somewhat assigned roles to us, with mine, Teazer, and Etcetera's being the station master's daughters.

Skimbleshanks: All the guards and all the porters and the station master's daughters would be searching high and low saying, "Skimble? Where is Skimble? For unless he's very nimble then the night mail just can't go!"

Skimble then slipped into the center of the yard with Teazer and I not far behind him. As he acted this verse out, with the aid of Asparagus and Tumblebrutus, he waltzed up to the two toms with Electra batting at his tail for a short moment.

Skimbleshanks: At eleven forty two with the signal overdue and the passengers all frantic to a man, that's when I would appear and I'd saunter to the rear I'd been busy in the luggage van!

All: Then he gave one flash of his glass-green eyes and the signal went "All Clear!".

Skimbleshanks: They'd be off at last to the northern part of the Northern Hemisphere!

We then all lined up behind Skimble as he skipped around the middle of the yard. Once we made it a certain distance, Asparagus let out a paw signaling us to stop which we did in one fluent motion.

All: Skimbleshanks the Railway Cat, The Cat of the Railway Train!

Skimbleshanks: You might say that by and large it was me who was in charge of the Sleeping Car Express. From the driver and the guards, to the bagmen playing cards
I would supervise them all, more or less.

As we all sing this part, we arranged ourselves into the configuration of Skimble's Sleeping Car Express with me being in between Electra and Teazer. Electra then began to mess with Cassandra, which I pointed out to the tabby which earned him a pretend coin with he bowed to me once he received it.

All: Down the corridor he paces and examines all the faces of the travellers in the first and the third. He established control by a regular patrol and he'd know at once if anything occurred. He would watch you without winking and he saw what you were thinking, and it's certain that he didn't approve of hilarity and riot, so that folk were very quiet when Skimble was about and on the move!

We then scuttled behind Skimble as he took the center stage, as one would say, and waved his brown tail around in circles. After giving him some time in the spotlight, we then rushed forward and almost pounced on the older Tom.

All: You could play no pranks with Skimbleshanks! He's a cat that couldn't be ignored, so nothing went wrong on the Northern Mail when Skimbleshanks was aboard.

The queens then formed a circle around Skimble, with me squished in between Teazer and Etcetera. After Skimble would sing a line, we would respond with creating a sound similar to that of a train's whistle. Skimble would also act out each little word with great enthusiasm. At the end of one verse, Teazer let out a loud sneeze which I immediately shushed as Skimble continued.

Skimbleshanks: It was very pleasant when they'd found their little den with their name written up on the door! And the berth was very neat, with a newly folded sheet and not a speck of dust upon the floor. There was every sort of light, you could make it dark or bright, and a button you could turn to make a breeze. And a funny little basin you're supposed to wash your face in and a crank to shut the window should you sneeze.
Then the guard looked in politely and would ask you very brightly,
"Do you like your morning tea...

All: "weak or strong?"

Skimbleshanks: But I was just behind him, and was ready to remind him, for Skimble won't let anything go wrong!

All: When they crept into their cosy berth and pulled up the counterpane, they all could reflect that it was very nice. To know that they wouldn't be bothered by mice. They can leave all that to the Railway Cat, The Cat of the Railway Train. Skimbleshanks the Railway Cat, The Cat of the Railway Train!

We then grabbed scraps of metals and cloths to created a mock version of Skimble's Northern Mail train. I was the one privileged to hold the lantern which was the train's main source of light. Skimble stood on top of the train whilst singing another verse.

Skimbleshanks: In the watches of the night I was always fresh and bright. Every now and then I'd have a cup of tea with perhaps a drop of scotch while I was keeping on the watch, only stopping here and there to catch a flea.
They were fast asleep at Crewe and so they never knew that I was walking up and down the station. They were sleeping all the while I was busy at Carlisle, where I met the station master with elation! They might see me at Dumfries if I summoned the police, if there was anything they ought to know about.

All: When they got to Gallowgate there they did not have to wait for Skimbleshanks would help them to get out!

It was then that the entire train full of Jellicles broke down and started batting at several of the individual pieces. Skimble shook his head and shrugged at Old Deuteronomy, which the old leader responded with another shrug, as Skimble took the stage again. He waved his tail around in circles as he ended the song with standing on top of Alonzo and Asparagus with Munkus helping the older cat up their backs.

All: And he gives a wave of his long brown tail, which says "I'll see you again! You'll meet without fail on the Midnight Mail. The Cat of the Railway Train!"

Another crash then suddenly spooked the entire yard. Red and yellow lights were flashing everywhere, sending me into hysterics. All of a sudden, several pure black muscular toms leaped into the yard and grabbed Old Deuteronomy! I tried to get to him but was thrown to the side by one of them. Deme and Bomba immediately came to my rescue and sheltered me in their arms at the left side of the yard as we watched our leader being taken away.