Mistoffelees

After a few moments of silence, I caught my brother's gaze and we nodded to each other. Munkustrap and Deme didn't realize that I left as I trotted up to my brother, "Are you sure you want to try this?" Quaxo nodded and gestured to Tugger, "Might as well introduce the two is us while we're at it, Tugger." Tugger nodded and sat at the edge of the group as he began the introduction into our song. (Mister Mistoffelees)

Tugger: You ought to ask the Mistoffelees, the original conjuring cats.

When several of the younger Jellicles started to snicker at Tugger's suggestion, he sat up in his seat and growled at the young kits.

Tugger: Please! Listen to me, and don't scoff. All their inventions are of their own bat.

Tugger then got up out of his seat, a drum roll looming through the Jellicle yard as he continued the beginning spoken verse. I grabbed Quaxo's paw out of nervousness, and my brother squeezed my paw slightly in reassurance. 

Tugger: There are no such cats in the metropolis. They hold all the Pitan monopolies for performing surprising illusions and creating eccentric confusions. The greatest magicians have something to learn from the Mistoffelees's conjuring turn.

Tugger then crouched down as he got more and more invested in selling the extent of my brother and I's magical powers to the rest of the Jellicles.

Tugger: And we all say: "Oh, well I never, was there ever. Cats so clever as magical Mr. and Ms. Mistoffelees"

Tugger leaped down from the stove and started to dance around. The rest of the Jellicles began to catch onto what Tugger was doing, the kits and the younger queens joining in as Tugger continued to sing.

Tugger: He is quiet. She is small. They are black. From the ears to the tip of their tails. He can creep through the tiniest crack. She can walk on the narrowest rail. He can pick any card from a pack. She is equally cunning with dice. He is always deceiving you into believing that he's only hunting for mice.

The rest of the Jellicles swayed to the jazzy tone of the song as Quaxo and I took our entrance places. Ecetera and Electra bounced along to the music as they sighed in awe of Tugger, making me shake my head slightly in amusement. 

Tugger: They can play any trick with a cork. Or a spoon and a bit of fish paste. If you look for a knife or a fork and you think it was merely misplaced. You have seen it one moment and then it is gone. But you find it next week, lying out on the lawn.

Tugger then pointed to the sky as Quaxo and I seemingly flew down from the sky whilst holding onto a rope. Both of our coats gleamed in the moonlight almost as if they were illuminated by bright twinkling lights. When the two of us landed on the ground, Quaxo made the rope disappear, both of us turning around and turning the lights in the Jellicle yard back on with a simple spell.

Tugger: And you'll all say: "Oh, well I never, was there ever. Cats so clever as magical Mr. and Ms. Mistoffelees"

Arabella and Quaxo: "Presto!"

All of the Jellicles sighed in relief once the lights were back on, leaving Quaxo and I the opportunity to display some of our magical powers to the rest of the Jellicles as Tugger continued the chorus.

Tugger: "Oh, well I never, was there ever. Cats so clever as magical Mr. and Ms. Mistoffelees"

When we finished our little display, Tugger continued the next verse of the song while dancing with the two of us.

Tugger: Their manner is vague and aloof. You would think there was nobody shyer. But his voice has been heard on the roof when he was curled up by the fire. And he's sometimes been heard by the fire. When he was about on the roof. At least we all heard that somebody purred, which is uncontestable proof. Of their singular magical powers. And I've known the family to call them in from the garden for hours. When they were asleep in the hall.

As Tugger continued the verse, I ran to the side of the Jellicle yard and threw a large-sized cup over to my brother, which he caught instantly. When he did so, he muttered a small incantation that made a long, glittery ribbon fly out from the cup's opening.

Tugger: And not long ago, these phenomenal cats produced seven kittens right out of a hat. And we'll all say: "Oh, well I never, was there ever. Cats so clever as magical Mr. and Ms. Mistoffelees"

A small music break made up of several jazz instruments bumbled through the yard as the two of us performed a syncopated dance solo. Quaxo slid over to where Victoria was, winking at his mate as I did the same with Munkustrap. The kittens stayed put next to Tugger as he sat down near the stove to watch. Tantomile and Coricopat watched in awe of our magical powers as we danced throughout the yard. Quaxo and I then began to do several leaps in the air as the tempo of the jazz music surrounding us grew faster in tempo, making the rest of the Jellicles ooh and aah at our aerial flexibility. We ended our small routine with one gigantic leap in the air, both of us landing directly in sync with one another. Quaxo and I then ran over to the trunk of a broken-down car in the yard, pulling bright red silk out of the exhaust pipe. As Tugger continued the previous verse, we used Cassandra as our assistant and wrapped her in the silk for another trick we had planned.

Tugger: And not long ago, these phenomenal cats produced seven kittens right out of a hat.

I shared a look with Tugger, as he looked confused as to what we were doing. Quaxo and I ran our hands over the red silk, muttering an incantation of sorts only to pull off the silk to reveal that the real Old Deuteronomy was underneath the silk. Everyone paused as they saw Old Deuteronomy appear, Tugger immediately running to the Jellicle leader's side as he muttered under his breath.

Tugger: And we all say: "Oh, well I never, was there ever. Cats so clever as magical Mr. and Ms. Mistoffelees"

Tugger turned Old Deuteronomy to face us, to which my brother and I leaped into the Jellicle's arms and hugged him tightly. The rest of the Jellicles in the yard continued to sing the chorus of our song as the two of us ran toward the tire and took our bows.

Jellicles: "Oh, well I never, was there ever. Cats so clever as magical Mr. and Ms. Mistoffelees"

Tugger: Ladies and gentlemen. I give you the magical, the marvelous Mr. and Ms. Mistoffelees!

An uproar of applause filtered its way through the yard as the rest of the Jellicles applauded Quaxo and I's performance.