The Jellicle Ball Part 1

It was in this moment of pure joy that we heard a blundering crash from the southern side of the yard. Automatically believing it was Macavity, due to my previous outburst, everyone scattered from the center of the yard and ran with their tails between their legs. Jellicles immediately paired up with loved ones, like Teazer with Jerrie and Tantomile with Corciopat, but some of the pairings surprised me like Plato with Cassandra and Pouncival with Etcetera. I leaped into the nearby pipe with Victoria and Deme and shielded them from whatever came our way. Moments past and nothing happened so I let go of Victoria, who I hadn't realized was clinging to me and I to her. Deme whispered, "It had to have been Macavity. Nobody else would scare us like that." Victoria yelped in fright as Deme mentioned Macavity, clinging to my fur once more with her slightly sharp claws, "Is he going to hurt us?" I shook my head, "He would die before he would get to us, Munkustrap would protect us Vic." The white queen nodded and slowly crept out of the pipe. I then noticed Munkus standing crouched in front of Old Deuteronomy hissing in an attempt to intimidate anything that had perhaps entered the yard. It wasn't that long afterward that I realized that Quaxo was hidden behind Deuteronomy and ruffling his fur. I shook my head as I smiled, only to see that Deuteronomy sent him away towards us. He then grabbed me and Victoria into a massive hug, "Are you both okay?" We nodded, "She was safe with me brother. You chose correctly." If a cat could blush, then Vic and Quaxo would be red as tomatoes. "W-What do you mean?" Vic whispered. I rolled my eyes, "I grant you both my blessings just... wait until the Mating Dances to make it official please?" Quaxo nodded, "I wouldn't have it any other way, sister." Victoria then looked over Quaxo's shoulder to see that Deuteronomy was summoning her for some unknown reason. (Jellicle Ball) She curtseyed to us both and went to the center of the yard, still frightened from the ordeal. Jemima then followed suit and danced with Victoria in the center of the yard. Old Deuteronomy then spread his arms out as he sang softly with the two new queens along with Munkustrap.

Old Deuteronomy: Jellicle cats come out tonight! Jellicle cats come one and come all.

All: The Jellicle Moon is shining bright! Jellicles come to the Jellicle Ball.

From my right, Alonzo then slunk out as he sang his line with his hips swaying flirtatiously. Quaxo's paws turned into fists but I placed a hand on his shoulder to calm him as I whispered, "He doesn't know Quaxo. Calm down, he might be going for Jemima." Quaxo snorted, "Let's hope so, for his sake." It wasn't too long after Alonzo that little Pouncival burst out from his hiding place and sang with the four cats in the yard.

Alonzo: Jellicle cats are black and white. Jellicle cats are rather small. Jellicle cats are merry...

Pouncival: And bright!

Jemima and Victoria: And pleasant to hear when we caterwaul.

It was then that Skimble and Tumblebrutus made their way out of their hiding place. Skimble said his line first while balancing on one leg while the younger Tumblebrutus followed his action in a smaller motion.

Skimbleshanks: Jellicle cats have cheerful faces!

Tumblebrutus: Jellicle cats have bright black eyes.

Quaxo: We like to practice our airs and graces...

Quaxo then leapt out from the hiding place that Deme and I still inhabited. As soon as he said his line, I slunk out next to Deme as we made our way to the top of the tire. We both sang along with the next line as Munkus, Admetus, and Plato made their way to the center of the yard in syncopated movements.

All: And wait for the Jellicle Moon to rise!

Munkustrap, Admetus, and Plato: Jellicle cats develop slowly.