Bustopher Jones

Demeter and I lunged forwards towards Grizabella, only to grasp the nothingness of darkness. Demeter rubbed her shoulder on mine, "It's okay Arabella. She's gone." I sighed and shook my head, "By the way she sounded, she won't be for long." Demeter smiled as she lead me back into the center of the yard, "And if she does, I'll bet you a dance during the ball that Munkustrap will protect you again. Did you see his face when you tried to reach out to her? He's totally in protection mode." I nodded with eyes slightly bulged, "I was there Deme. Something tells me he's going to talk to me soon about it." And speak of the devil, once those words crept their way out of my mouth Munkustrap appeared in front of us. "May I steal Arabella from you Demeter?" He asked. She nodded, "I was just going to go too." Demeter winked at me as Munkustrap took me to the outside boundary of the yard. 

Once we arrived, he sighed, "Why did you do that earlier?" I turned to him and answered confidently, "Did what?" Munkustrap slightly growled, "Oh for the love of Heavyside... Why did you attempt to touch Grizabella?" I then realized that he was in full out protection mode. I looked down in slight shame as I meekly answered, "I don't know... I just felt bad for her." Munkustrap's hardened gaze softened slightly and he pulled my into his strong embrace, "I know. But I have to make sure that she isn't a danger to the tribe, to you." I smiled as I returned the hug, "I understand." Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Jennyanydots batting her eyes at a very, very fat tuxedo cat. I then realized, that cat Bustopher Jones! I pointed a paw towards him and smiled, "Bustopher Jones!" Munkustrap turned to where I was pointing and smiled along with me, "Well, what are we doing here? Let's go greet him!" I nodded and trotted next to Munkustrap as we entered the main part of the yard once more. The fat tuxedo tom was waddling next to Quaxo and Skimble as Jenny began to sing admirably. Bombalurina stalked over to Jenny and sang along with her.

Jennyanydots: Bustopher Jones, is not skin and bones.

Bombalurina: In fact he's remarkably... fat.

Jellylorum: He doesn't haunt pubs.

Jennyanydots: He has eight or nine clubs.

All: For he's the Saint James' street cat!

Jennyanydots: He's the cat we all greet as he walks down the street. In his coat of fastidious black.

Bombalurina: No common place mousers have such well cut trousers.

Jellylorum: Or such an impeccable back.

Jennyanydots: In the hall of Saint James is the smartest of names, is the name of this bravo of cats!

As soon as Bustopher Jones walked by the trio Munkustrap appeared in front of him and smiled while acknowledging him. I hung behind Munkustrap, curious but still the shy cat I was sometimes, and saw Bombalurina wink at me. I rolled my eyes in response.

All: And we're all of us proud, to be nodded about, to buy Bustopher Jones' white spats.

My brother slid up right next to the fat tuxedo and played with his tail like he was a little kitten again and I held back a series of laughing fits. Quaxo was the odd-ball of both of us anyways.

All toms: In the hall of Saint James is the smartest of names, is the name of this bravo of cats. And we're all of us proud, to be nodded about, to buy Bustopher Jones' white spats.

Skimbleshanks brought Bustopher a huge top hat to sit on, but the tuxedo thought it was too dusty so he made Skimble brush the top off with his tail. I smiled with the kittens Electra, Ectetera, Jemima, and Victoria as I wast down next to them and Bombalurina. Bombalurina nudged my shoulder as Bustopher began to speak to the other Jellicles, "So, you and Munkustrap huh?" I smirked, "Perhaps. Even I don't know what goes on in that tom's head sometimes." Bomba smiled, "We'll see soon enough. Let's hope he confesses before the Jellicle choice." I nodded, "Me too."

Bustopher Jones: My visits are occasional to the senior educational, and it's against the rules. For any one cat to be nodded of that to the joint educational schools. For a similar reason when game is in season, I'm found not at Fox's but Blimp's. I am frequently seen at the gay Stage and Screen, which is famous for winkles and shrimps!

I licked my chops at the thought of a platter of shrimps right at my feet. I could see that Quaxo was also thinking the same thing, as he had a paw outstretched towards me and nodded with a smile. I smiled back as the chorus line sang.

Bustopher Jones: In the season of venison I give my ben'son to the Pothunter's succulent bones.
And just before noon's not a moment too soon, to drop in for a drink at the Drones. When I'm seen in a hurry there's probably curry at the Siamese or at the Glutton. If I look full of gloom then I've lunched at the Tomb, on cabbage, rice pudding and mutton!

When Bustopher mentioned cabbage, my face wrinkled in slight disgust. I never liked vegetables as a kitten anyways. But once he mentioned rice pudding and the mutton, my eyes lightened up almost instantly. Bombalurina noticed this and pawed at my shoulder, in which in response, I then rolled my eyes as the next verse was sung.

All: In the hall of St. James's is the smartest of names is the name of this Brummel of cats! And we're all of us proud to be nodded or bowed to by Bustopher Jones in white, Bustopher Jones in white, Bustopher Jones in white spats.

Jennanydots: So, much in this way passes Bustopher's day, at one club or another he's found. It can be no surprise, that under our eyes, he has grown unmistakably round! He's a twenty-five pounder!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 Bustopher: Or I am a bounder!

Jennyanydots: And he's putting on weight everyday...

Bustopher: But I'm so well preserved because I've observed all my life a routine, and I'd say
I am still in the prime, I shall last out my time!

Jennyanydots: That's the word from the stoutest of cats!

All: It must and it shall be spring in Pall Mall, while Bustopher Jones wears white, Bustopher Jones wears white, Bustopher Jones wears white spats!

Bustopher: Toodle pip!

After Bustopher sang his last line, I saw a flash of orange and brown tabby fur. And I knew who it was, or at least I believed it to be him. It was then that I screeched, "Macavity!"