The Invitation To The Jellicle Ball

Once Quaxo had revealed himself to Victoria, she let out a muted squeal. I smiled, I knew that the young Queen always liked him. It was then that Quaxo did something that I, and Munkustrap, didn't suspect. He started to dance with Victoria as he sang...

Quaxo: Jellicle cats come out tonight. Jellicle cats come one come all. The Jellicle moon is shining bright, Jellicles come to the Jellicle ball. Jellicle cats come out tonight. Jellicles come to the Jellicle Ball.

Munkustrap then stood up slowly as the rest of the Jellicles made their way out of the tiny nooks and crannies that resided all around the yard. When Munkustrap sang, he sounded more like a narrator than anything else.

Munkustrap: Jellicle cats meet once a year at the Jellicle Ball where we all rejoice! And the Jellicle leader will soon appear and make, what is known, as the Jellicle choice. When Old Deuteronomy just before dawn, with a silence you feel you could cut with a knife, announces the cat that can now be reborn and come back to a different Jellicle life. Because waiting up there is the Heavyside Layer full of wonders one Jellicle only will see.

When he sang that last line he gestured the number one to all of the Jellicles. I smiled as I figured out the next line he would say and butted in before he could even open his mouth.

Arabella: And Jellicles ask because Jellicles dare. Who will it be?

All: Who will it be?

After the song ended, there almost seemed to be a sudden change in the atmosphere as Munkustrap jumped down from the car with me and cats greeted him. Etcetera and Sillabub immediately pounced onto the silver tabby Tom. I tried my best to suppress a laugh as Quaxo appeared next to me. He rubbed his head on my shoulder, and I returned the gesture as Munkustrap appeared in front of us. We both bowed in front of him and extended a hand as we walked to the side in perfect sync. Jellylorum and Skimbleshanks both bowed to the Sentinel along with Bombalurina. Demeter rubbed her head along his hands and Electra pawed at him from the back. As the Jellicles met with Munkustrap, I thought, This is what it would be like to be his mate, being greeted by all of these cats with such joy. Alonzo brushed fur with Munkustrap and Cassandra as I made my way to the corner of the Yard with Quaxo. We were about to bundle up as we normally did, but this time Demeter and Bombalurina came up to me and asked, "Do you want to sit with us tonight Arabella? It's kinda cold this year." Demeter asked timidly. I nodded, "Sure!" I then turned to Quaxo, in which he nodded in assurance. I joined the gold tabby and the red Queens somewhat near the center of the Yard next to Corciopat and Tantomile who were bundled up into two tight little dark tabby balls. Once us three had settled down, Bombalurina asked, "So what's up with up and Munkustrap? You two seem close this year." I shrugged, "It's just good to see him." Demeter rolled her eyes, "Please, I've seen the way he looks at you. And plus, you two look cute together!" I shook my head, "I don't he thinks of me like that Deme." Bombalurina paused for a moment and then smiled, "Well we won't know until he tells you!" Demeter nodded, "We have to get you two together!" I rolled my eyes slightly, "Try if you must, but I don't know if Mistoffelees let you get Munkustrap and I together." Before Bombalurina could answer, Demeter cut her off, "Look! There he is!" I looked to the center of the yard to see Munkustrap and Quaxo standing side by side preparing to sing again. (The Old Gumbie Cat) Munkustrap scanned the yard and stopped once he met my gaze. He smiled, as did I, and began the first verse.

Munkustrap: I have a gumbie cat in mind, her name is Jennyanydots. Her coat is of the tabby kind, with tiger stripes and leopard spots.

Once Quaxo realized that Munkustrap wasn't singing about him, I could have sworn that I saw him pout slightly as Rumpleteazer and Mungojerrie pointed at him and snickered. I, being somewhat near their earshot, growled slightly which got their attention quickly.

Munkustrap: All day she sits up on the stair or on the step or on the mat. She sits and sits and sits and sits. And that's what makes a gumbie cat. That's what makes a gumbie cat!

As he sang the last two lines, Munkustrap gestured to Quaxo who opened the trunk of the car using a little bit of magic. Once the trunk opened, a sleepy Jennyanydots appeared to the other Jellicles. Bombalurina and Demeter then forced me over to the side of the car where we sang a trio perfectly in tune. Munkustrap pointed to us three and we began to sing.

Arabella, Bombalurina, and Demeter: But... When the day's hustle and bustle is done, then the Gumbie Cat's work is but hardly begun. And when all the family's in bed and asleep, she tucks up her skirts to the basement to creep. She is deeply concerned with the ways of the mice.

Jennyanydots: Their behavior's not good, and their manners not nice.

Arabella, Bombalurina, and Demeter: So when she has got them lined up on the matting she teaches them...

Jennyanydots: Music, crocheting, and tatting.

Munkustrap stood next to Jenny as he sang the next verse particularly to her. Some of the kittens, being Sillabub, Jemima, Victoria, and the older Rumpleteazer played the parts of the mice.

Munkustrap: I have a Gumbie cat in mind, her name is Jennyanydots. Her equal would be hard to find, she likes the warm and sunny spots. All day she sits beside the hearth, or on the bed or on my hat.

As he sings this, Jenny suddenly yawns and ducks in between Munkustrap's legs and merely falls asleep.

Munkustrap: She sits and sits and sits and sits... And that's what makes a Gumbie cat. That's what makes a Gumbie cat! 

Arabella, Bombalurina, and Demeter: But... When the day's hustle and bustle is done, then the Gumbie Cat's work is but hardly begun. As she finds that the mice will never keep quiet. She is sure it is due to...

Jennyanydots: Irregular diet!

Arabella, Bombalurina, and Demeter: And believing that...

Jennyanydots: Nothing is done without trying.

Arabella, Bombalurina, and Demeter: She sets right to work with her baking and frying. She makes them a mouse-cake of bread and dried peas. And a beautiful fry of lean bacon and cheese!

Munkustrap: I have a Gumbie cat in mind, her name is...

Arabella, Bombalurina, and Demeter: Jennyanydots.

Munkustrap: The curtain cord she loves to wind and tie it into sailor knots. She sits upon the windowsill or anything that's smooth and flat. She sits and sits and sits and sits... And that's what makes a Gumbie cat. That's what makes a Gumbie cat!

Arabella, Bombalurina, and Demeter: But... When the day's hustle and bustle is done then the Gumbie cat's work is but hardly begun. She thinks that the cockroaches...

Jennyanydots: Need employment!

Arabella, Bombalurina, and Demeter: To prevent them from...

Jennyanydots: Idle and wanton destroyment!

Arabella, Bomboalurina, and Demeter: So she's formed that lot of disorderly louts, a troop of well disciplined helpful Boy Scouts. With a purpose in life and a good deed to do! And she's even created a Beatles Tattoo!

It was then that Jenny took off her sleeping garments and changed into a golden frilly onesie that looked like something out of the 1980's. All of the other Jellicles were dressed up as cockroaches and tap dancing along with Jenny. Bombalurina, Demeter, and I patiently waited for our turn to participate in the tap dancing as well as Munkustrap. Once we joined in, I found myself on Jenny's right and Munkustrap's left.

All: So for all Gumbie Cats let us give three cheers. On whom well ordered households depend on, it appears. Three cheers, three cheers, three cheers!

We then all lined up into two lines facing Jenny as we sang the last line together as one choral unit.

All: For she's a jolly good fellow!

Jennyanydots: Thank you my dears!