Grizabella's Return

I slunk over to Deme and Bomba as the rest of the Jellicles reached out their paws towards Deuteronomy. As Deuteronomy was talking to us about some sort Jellicle story, I heard the Jellicle oboe softly play a dark and mournful tune as my nose caught whiff of the old exiled queen from before. Tantomile and Corciopat were the first to recognize the new scent as they stalked over to Grizabella, only to hiss in her face and scatter from the yard. Victoria was slightly shoved to the side by the pair but she didn't seem too hurt by this expression. Tugger then waltzed over to her as the rest of the Jellicles stood up and got their bearings together. He shook his mane as he bumped his shoulder into her and walked away. Jemima reached for Grizabella's paw but was cut short when Skimble intercepted her and led her away swiftly.

Before I could react, Pouncival ran over to her and bumped her so hard that she nearly fell to the ground. I let out an instinctive hiss, which made Pouncival skitter away in slight fear of me. Deme reached forward to catch her, but stopped once she realized what she was doing, and Bomba grabbed her by the shoulders and led her away from the ragged queen. Not too long afterward, it was only Munkus and I that stood in the center of the yard with Grizabella. Munkus looked to Deuteronomy as he stood protectively in front of me and as Deuteronomy nodded, he sauntered away while asking for my arm. I looked at him and then Grizabella and then back at Munkustrap as I shook my head slowly. He nodded understandingly and sauntered out of the main part of the yard. The old queen looked at me with curiosity, and I her, as she reached out a paw for me to accept. I flinched slightly, but stayed put as Jellylorum sang to get her attention.

Jellylorum: You see the border of her coat is torn, and stained with sand.

As the older queen sang, Victoria crept around her and attempted to touch Grizabella, only to have Jelly smack her paw away. I felt a pain of sadness as she scattered away from the yard with Vic in tow. Jemima then crept around Jenny as she sang the last verse of the shorter song.

Jemima: And you see, the corner of her eye twists like a crooked pin.

Jenny then smacked Jemima's paw away from Grizabella's, sending Jemima away from the center of the yard. The Gumbie Cat hissed at Grizabella fiercely and skittered to where Jemima ran off to. I was now the only one left standing next to her as a haunting tone led by the oboe and piano hummed through the yard. I stepped backward slowly and slid over to Deuteronomy's tire as the queen attempted to dance, but couldn't due to her old and ragged condition. I curled up right next to Deuteronomy and whispered, "It was her. She was the other cat you wanted to take to the Heaviside Layer, wasn't she?" As Old Deuteronomy nodded solemnly, I felt tears prick at my eyes but shied away from Deuteronomy when he let out a source of comfort for me. I jumped from the tire and settled down at the entrance of the Vicarage Pipe brooding. Grizabella frowned slightly and softly sang her own Jellicle song.

Grizabella: Midnight. Not a sound from the pavement. Has the moon lost a memory? She is smiling alone. In the lamplight, the withered leaves collect at my feet and the wind begins to moan. Every street lamp seems to beat the fated warning. Someone mutters and the street lamp flutters, and soon it will be morning! Memory! All alone in the moonlight. I can smile at the old days, I was beautiful then. I remember the time I knew what happiness was, let the memory live again...

As the tune she sang died down, Grizabella reached out a paw behind her almost expecting one of the Jellicles to accept her afterward. I stared at her for a moment, reached forwards as I crept behind her, but recoiled when she did as well. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Old Deuteronomy looking at her with eyes filled with sympathy. She reached out backward again, but frowned when no one came. As she left the yard and was consumed by the darkness, I rushed forward only to have her disappear. I sighed as the rest of the Jellicles appeared from the hidden nooks and crannies of the yard. I heard Tugger mutter, "Good riddance!"