Old Deuteronomy

Arabella's P.O.V:

Once Rumple and Jerrie had detached themselves from me, I heard the faint ringing of familiar chimes. I looked for my brother but did not see him in the general vicinity. After the bells diminished in volume, I saw Quaxo and to my surprise Victoria appear from the shadows near the stovetop. (Old Deuteronomy) He sniffed the ground expectantly and whispered loud enough for me to hear, "Old Deuteronomy?" Munkustrap, who had been behind me for the past few moments, was holding Jellylorum's shaky paw as Quaxo looked to him for an answer. The Sentinel nodded for a brief moment only to be interrupted by Tantomile and Corciopat, "I believe it is Old Deuteronomy."Electra rested her head on Munkustrap's outer thigh as we sang the oldest of Jellicle songs I've known.

All: Well of all things, can it be really? Yes, no ho high on my eye. My mind may be wandering but I confess, I believe it is Old Deuteronomy.

During this line, Munkustrap motioned for my brother to receive Old Deuteronomy which he reacted with great enthusiasm as he scampered off with his arms outstretched. As he left, the rest of the Jellicles laid down on their stomachs and backs slowly and patiently waiting for Munkustrap to tell of Old Deuteronomy's past life. I stretched out front paws first and brushed my stomach against Munkustrap's leg, which he returned the gesture with a warm and what I thought to be loving smile.

Munkustrap: Old Deuteronomy's lived a long time, he's a cat who has lived many lives in succession. He was famous in proverse and famous in rhyme. Long before Queen Victoria's accession.

My ears then caught the sound of another soloist, which to my surprise was the Tugger himself. His voice was now softer than his normal singing voice with hints of baritone here and there. I wasn't surprised though when I saw Bomba inching towards Tugger as he continued to sing. Munkustrap ran up towards the tire where his brother now leaned upon with an acknowledging smile.

Tugger: Old Deuteronomy's buried nine wives, and more I am tempted to say, ninety nine. And his numerous prodigy prospers and thrives and the Village is proud of him in his decline.

Munkustrap: At the sight of that old and bland physiognomy as he sits in the sun! On the Vicarage Road. The oldest inhabitant croaks.

Both: Well of all things, can it be really? Yes, no ho high on my eye. My mind may be wandering but I confess, I believe it is Old Deuteronomy!

As they finished their duet together, both of the tabby toms pointed into the shadows where Quaxo and Old Deuteronomy appeared from. I grinned from ear to ear and nearly leaped onto Old Deuteronomy, making him stumble slightly but laugh from my kittenish attitude. "It is good to see you old friend." He muttered as we kept walking forward towards Munkustrap and the rest of the Jellicles who had formed some sort of a line behind the Sentinel, with Quaxo and I escorting him by the arm. I nodded, "And you as well Leader." Once we released Old Deuteronomy, the rest of the kittens pounced onto his wobbly legs as he shook hands and bowed to several of the adults. When Deuteronomy reached where the Tugger stood, Tugger bowed to the older cat and Deuteronomy smiled back at the Tom.

All: Well of all things, can it be really? Yes, no ho high on my eye. My mind may be wandering but I confess, I believe it is Old Deuteronomy! ... Well of all things, can it be really? Yes, no ho high on my eye! My mind may be wandering but I confess, I believe it is Old Deuteronomy!

Once Deuteronomy made his way onto the tire, he stood up straighter as he sang in an opera-like fashion. We all sat down at the foot of the tire waiting to hear what our dear leader would say next.

Deuteronomy: My legs may be tottering, I must go slow. And be careful for Old Deuteronomy.

The Jellicle music that surrounded the old leader suddenly changed from soft and graceful to more of a familiar variation of the Jellicle Cats song. I scooted next to Demeter and Bomba and they wrapped their arms around me, sandwiching me between them. I sighed slightly, "The Mating Dances are coming up soon..." Bomba winked at both Deme and I, "Don't worry Bells, I'm sure Munkus will have a dance with you. And Deme too." Deme and I smiled, "First Teazer and Jerrie and now you? Now everyone is going to call me Bells." Deme shrugged, "And in time they may call you his First." I shook my head, "No, you would be his First Deme. I would be nothing more than a Second." It was then that Bomba swatted my ears scoldingly, "Now get your mind out of the basement Arabella! You should see how Munkus looks at you, he loves you!" I nodded and cuddled more into the gold and red queens, "I know. You're right Bomba." Bomba smirked, "Always am." Munkustrap smiled as he addressed the rest of the Jellicles with a more upbeat tune.