f o u r

After Dallon had left me, alone and taken away by his sudden appearance, I'd closed the door and walked back upstairs to lay on my bed and listen to the tones of the music that was pouring out of my speaker. I couldn't stop thinking about Dallon and I almost wanted to run over and knock on his door, but figured it'd be pretty weird since he was just here and since we didn't know each other. I was pulled out of my thoughts as a voice exclaimed downstairs.

"Gabby?" My mom called downstairs, using my nickname. I hadn't really approved of it, but both my mom and dad had been using it since I was a newborn and didn't plan on quitting. As long as my friends didn't find out about it, it was fine by me.

"Yeah!" I called back, and I heard her leave some groceries in the kitchen before her steps moved up the stairs. She stopped in the doorway, a smile on her lips.

"Hey honey, how was school?" She asked me softly, arms crossed over her chest.

I sat up to face her on my bed and smiled back at her. "It was good. Mr. Wentz told me I did really good on our recent math test, which was relieving." I told her and she brightened up.

My grades in math had been horrible the last few years because of my awful teachers that shouldn't be allowed to label themselves that since they couldn't teach, but that seemed to change now. Mr. Wentz was a great teacher, and I hoped he'd be able to help me out a lot more so that I'd reach a higher grade.

"That's fantastic! Congrats honey." She said and walked in to ruffle my hair, before walking back out. "Your dad is on his way home, so we'll eat dinner in a bit!" She called before disappearing down the stairs again.

I stood and walked back to my computer. I sat and started to scroll down my Facebook feed. It wasn't that interesting, but I did it anyways. Not many people used Facebook anymore, most people was over at Instagram, Twitter or some other social media that I was too lazy to even look over. So I kept on returning back to Facebook when I was bored.

Apparently, my dad had arrived home, which I didn't hear since I was lost in my own little world, so when he suddenly stepped inside my room I almost fell out of my chair.

"Hey baby girl." He laughed at me as he saw my shocked face expression and I playfully glared at him.

"Can't you at least knock?" I asked and he shook his head.

"No, I like scaring you." He giggled and he looked over my shoulder at my computer screen. "Really? You're still on Facebook?" He teased and I sighed.

"Unfortunately, yes. I'm still stuck on this site that I've tried to leave but always returns to." I told him and he smiled.

"Well, you'll have to return to it after dinner, because we're eating now." He said and patted me on the head.

"Alright, be down in a bit." I smiled and continued to scroll on my laptop.

"Now, Gabby." My dad said, trying to sound intimidating, but I could hear the smile in his tone.

I sighed and began logging out of my computer, but didn't get far before my dad picked me up and swung me up over his shoulder. I squealed as he brought me down the stairs while laughing quietly at his own action.

My dad carried me into the kitchen, and I lightly punched his back.
"Put me down, dad!" I told him and he spun around, making me dizzy. "I'm serious!" I said, and he laughed.

"Tyler, put her down." My mom laughed and I grinned.

"See? Mom's on my side." I said and he finally gave in.

"Alright, alright." He chuckled and put me back down on my feet. My mom brought the food to the table and my parents shared a kiss, before sitting down. They were serious relationship goals and my dream was to one day have a relationship like theirs.

We said grace as we always did and then began eating. My mom was an amazing cook and her food was always the best. This time, she'd cooked a creamy potato salad with bacon, which was one of my favorite dishes by her. I took in the scent of the food, before taking a bite and the food melted in my mouth.

"So," my dad began, "How's school been?" He asked me and I felt his and mom's eyes on me.

I looked up at them, before beginning. "Really good, actually. Sarah and I have been getting to know each other a lot, and her friends and I are getting along well."Ryan got detention today though." I explained and my dad frowned.

"That Ryan kid seems to get in a lot of trouble," he said and faced his food.

"No!" I said, a bit too fast. "He's a nice kid and this wasn't that big of a deal, I promise." I said, smiling over at my father who still wasn't very convinced. I debated in my head whether I would tell them about Dallon, but I couldn't refer to him as my friend yet and I couldn't call him a stranger..-

"I'm just glad you've made friends." My mom interrupted my thoughts and I looked over at her. "I know we've been moving around a lot, but we're planning to stay here. For real, this time." She announced and my dad nodded.

My lips curved up into a big smile that reached the top of my eyes. "That makes me happy. I really want to stay here. I like it here." I said, and they smiled.

And it was true, I really wanted to stay. I somehow felt like I finally fitted in, had found friends that I enjoyed being around and the school that had the teachers that actually knew how to teach. But also, because of Dallon. The tall creature who was so mysterious, but always left me wanting to know more about him.