s i x t e e n

Dallon's head violently whipped up when the front door opened downstairs. His breath became unsteady and I could almost see how his heart took an extra skip in his chest. I bit down my lip, before getting up from my seat and offering my hand out to him.

"You'll be by my side the whole time, right?" He whispered as he took a hold of my hand and stood.

I nodded. "Always."

We then made our way over to the staircase, and faint voices could be heard from the kitchen. I looked up to Dallon and could see a small drip of sweat running across his face. My chest ached to see him so nervous and I gently reached up to wipe it off. He didn't seem to notice me doing so.

We made our way down the steps and slowly walked into the kitchen. Dallon's hand was tensed and barely even holding mine, but I didn't let go. He straightened his back a little and stood an inch behind me as I cleared my throat to get my parents and my uncle's attention.

"Good afternoon." My dad said with a smile, and his eyes landed on Dallon. "Is this the young man you've been talking about?"

Dallon faced the ground awkwardly as I responded, "Yes. This is Dallon."

My dad was the first one to come closer and stretch his hand out. "It's very nice to meet you, Dallon." He said with a soft tone and a little smile on his lips.

Dallon's hand was slightly shaking as he gripped my dad's hand. "I-it's very nice to meet you too, Mr. Joseph.." He mumbled and tried his best to not break the eye contact between the two.

My dad cracked up. "Please, call me Tyler." He said with a little chuckle. "I'm not very fond of such a formal title."

That made Dallon smile a little and relax somewhat. Next up, was my mom, who of course immediately embraced Dallon in a big hug and I could see pure fear spread across his already pale face. My breath got stuck in my throat as I watched them with tension. Not even I had gotten this close to him and right now, it looked like he'd pass out any second.

"Uhh.. I-I'm.. Uh.." Dallon stuttered as he wasn't entirely sure on what to do with himself and my mom quickly pulled back.

"I'm sorry! It's just that I've heard so many good things about you!" She smiled up at the taller man. "You seem like a very good man and I'm so glad that you and my little Gabby found each other..." She continued to ramble, but I just cringed at the fact that she actually said my nickname out loud in front of one of my friends.

Dallon just smiled.

Josh greeted him the same way as my dad did, with a casual handshake and some small talk that Dallon mostly listened to rather than actually saying something himself, but no one seemed to be bothered by that.

"Dinner will be ready in about an hour. You kids can head off and do whatever you like while you wait." My mom said and smiled at us.

Me and Dallon exchanged a look before nodding a little and heading back upstairs. Once we reached the top of the stairs, Dallon released a soft breath.

"How are you?" I asked him as we entered my room again, were the music still was playing.

"...Fine, actually." Dallon spoke softly and looked at me. "Thank you."

I looked up at him with a smile. "Why'd you thank me?" I wondered curiously.

"For making me go through with it." He said and walked closer to me. This was probably the first time he'd ever approached me himself. "Your nickname is Gabby?"

I blushed a little. "I secretly hoped you would've forgotten about that. I don't really like it." I confessed and he smiled.

"I think it's cute." He said and looked down a little.

I smiled. "Thank you.. But.. Please don't call me that." I whispered and he giggled.

"If you don't want me to, I won't." He said and smiled. We stood in the same place for a while, in silence, only the sound of our breathing filling up the room.

"Can I hug you?" I suddenly blurted out and stared up at him. He shifted a little.

"I don't know how to...-"

I cut him off by gently wrapping my arms around his waist and leaning my head against his chest. I could hear his heartbeat slam hard against the wall of skin and bones. I felt his eyes look down on me, before he hesitantly wrapped his own arms around my shoulders. He tugged me somewhat closer and I rested my hands on the small of his back.

"I'm so happy you decided to meet them." I mumbled against his shirt.

Dallon hummed something as a reply and continued to hold me. I smiled.

We stood like that for a moment, in the middle of my room while the dark settled outside and the tones of another song started playing. It was a really old song. I closed my eyes and sighed, the sound of Dallon's heartbeat slowing down a little.

His hands moved across my shoulders and over my back, slowly and steady. I enjoyed his gentle touch. It didn't feel sexual or uncomfortable, it just made me feel safe.

"I can't believe I'm touching you." He whispered and rested his hand on the back of my head while the other rested in between my shoulder blades.

"How does it feel?" I asked quietly.

He kept quiet for a moment before replying, "Good. I feel... safe. It feels good."

He gained the confidence to hold me a bit tighter, even though I could barely feel his arms tightening around me. Still, it sent a warm feeling over my body and I clutched onto his shirt. I didn't want to let go.