t w e n t y f i v e

in the middle of December

"Mom, you don't have to...-"

"Nonsense! My baby girl is going to her first prom!" My mom said as she began curling my hair with the curling iron.

I gave up on trying to insist on that I didn't need any help and just leaned back in the chair as I watched my hair fall down in beautiful curls over my shoulders. I smiled a little.

6:16 am.

I never thought I'd be one of those people who got up super early just to get ready for prom. A one time thing. But here I was, curling my hair with the help of my mom at six am.

I was nervous. Nervous for how I'd look. Nervous that I would fall in the heels my mom had bought for me. They weren't that high, but still. And at the same time I was excited. I hadn't even thought of going, but I was glad that I made up my mind.

I was suddenly awoken from my deep thoughts as my mom crouched down in front of me with her makeup bag. I smiled.

"You really don't have to do all of this, mom." I said and she smiled as she began picking out what she'd need.

"But I want to. I want to make you look even prettier than you usually do. Will you allow me?" She asked with a pleading look to her eyes.

"Fine." I giggled and closed my eyes as she began applying the foundation to my skin.

+++

Several hours later, I stood in front of my mirror, dressed in the dress that my mom and dad had bought for me. I had to bite the inside of my cheek to keep the tears from running down my cheeks. The dress was absolutely gorgeous. It was everything I could ever want in a dress- it was colored in champagne, strapless, with small crystal pearls covering the chest.

And my makeup. It was better than anything I could ever accomplish. It was beautiful. I was beautiful.

"Honey! It's time to go!" My dad yelled from downstairs and I nodded to myself as I took a shaky breath.

I slipped on a thin jacket and placed my phone in the inside pocket of it before I made my way out of my bedroom and down the stairs. All eyes were on me when I reached the end of the steps- my mom, dad, Josh... And Gabe.

"Please stop staring at me." I mumbled as I walked over to be embraced in a hug by my dad.

"It's hard to avoid. You're absolutely gorgeous." My dad told me as he hugged me tightly. "My baby girl has grown up so fast."

We finally parted from the hug and I received more hugs from everyone. When it came to Gabe, I had to stand on my tiptoes even though I had heels on.

"Hey, beautiful." He said as we hugged and I giggled.

"Hello." I said and we pulled back. "No offense, but... What the hell are you doing here?" I said in a soft tone with a grin and he chuckled.

"I'll be your driver for today." He said with a proud tone and I giggled.

I turned to my parents again. "Thank you so much. This is all I could ever ask for." I said and they exchanged a look.