t w e l v e

During dinner with our family that consisted of me, my mom and dad, my grandfathers and grandmothers, cousins and Josh- my dad's bandmate, I kept quiet for most of the time. But not because I was afraid of saying the wrong thing, no, because I had disappeared inside my mind, into my own little world. I had a tendency to do that a lot lately with my thoughts mostly revolving around Dallon.

I only replied to questions that they asked me, like "how's school" or "have you made any friends yet", things my grandmother was very interested in knowing. Other than that, I didn't say much.

The dinner itself was really nice and it was fun to show everyone around our new house. They all seemed to like it as much as I did. After some chatting by the table and touring around the house, we sat down in our big living room, everyone holding a bowl of chocolate ice cream with whipped cream and a strawberry on top. It looked absolutely delicious. The older ones drank a cup of hot coffee as well, while I settled for a glass of Coke.

As I was scooping ice cream into my mouth, my phone buzzed in my pocket and I sneaked it out. I glanced down at the screen.

Facebook: You've received a new friend request!

I curiously opened up the app and clicked on the 'Friend Requests' box.

Loading...

I impatiently tapped my finger on the screen and scooped in yet another spoon of ice cream into my mouth.

Dallon Weekes wants to become your friend. Accept/Decline?

I smiled a little and almost immediately pressed accept. I didn't know he used Facebook, but I was glad that he did. I clicked on his profile and scrolled down a bit to see what content he had. He didn't had too many friends. Around 100. I didn't recognize any of their names, so I guessed that it wasn't anyone from school. I clicked on his photos.

He had around ten pictures uploaded, all of them pictures of him. I looked at the most recent one, which also were his profile picture. It was a picture of him in a white button up and a bass hanging around his shoulders, with a grin plastered on his lips.

"What are you smiling about?" Josh suddenly said from the armchair opposite mine. I looked up and saw everyone's eyes on me.

"Uh.. Nothing." I said, shooting a glare over at a grinning Josh.

"Oh, it's something. I see it." Josh teased and I hid my blushing face in one of my hands.

"I was just texting a friend." I lied and Josh chuckled.

"Friend? You sure it's just a friend?" He continued his teasing.

"Josh!" I exclaimed in embarrassment and he laughed along with a few others.

"I'm sorry, champ." He apologized with a smile and in my mind I forgave him, but still sent him a playful glare.

An hour later, it was time for our guests to leave. Well, except for Josh. He was staying the night. I embraced everyone in a long hug and we all exchanged goodbyes. When everyone had left, the silence laid over the house. I helped my mom do the dishes while my dad and Josh wiped off the table. Once we were done and once I'd escaped Josh tickling me, I was up in my room.

I pulled out my phone from my pocket again and saw that I'd received a message from Dallon about an hour ago. I opened it up and read it.

Dallon: "Family dinner going well?"

I grinned.

Me: "It went good. I didn't say much except when I absolutely had to."