t h i r t y

I woke up the next morning in the middle of the couch, Dallon and Gabe still sleeping next to me. I sighed and closed my eyes again, not wanting to get up since I knew what the day would bring us. But my back was hurting from the uncomfortable position I was laying in, so I forced myself to get up.

I quietly walked up to the bathroom, washing off my face and putting my hair up into a messy bun. I felt like doing my makeup would be extremely unnecessary, since I'd probably mess it up. Most of it was already packed down anyway. I snuck back downstairs, feeling rather stressed. It was already around 7 am and we were leaving around 10.

When I returned to the living room, Gabe and Dallon were up stretching their bodies. I stopped in the doorway and crossed my arms over my chest.

"Good morning." I told them and they looked over at me.

"It's not really a 'good' morning." Gabe muttered and walked past me to head upstairs, probably to make a visit to the bathroom. I looked over at Dallon.

"I can't believe you're..-" he began, but I hushed him.

"Could we not talk about that right now?" I asked. He didn't protest.

I turned and walked out into the kitchen. I could hear Dallon's shuffling feet behind me. There wasn't much in the fridge, but it was enough for the three of us. I knew my parents would eat something on their way home. They were at the school right now, talking to Mr. Wentz.

I didn't want to think about that. I decided to just pretend like everything was fine, for the moment at least. For Dallon and Gabe's sake.

Just in that moment, Gabe came down the stairs again and walked into the kitchen. His hair was messy, eyes swollen and tired. Had he been crying? I couldn't stand that thought. No. No, he had not.

I told the guys to eat, once I had brought out the topping and the sandwiches. They didn't reply, just obeyed. I waited for them to take a bite of their breakfast before I prepared my own. We ate under silence, tension between all of us. Dallon just looked sad, even though he tried to hide it. Each time our eyes met, he'd smile a little but as soon as I looked away, that smile was long gone. Gabe didn't even look at me.

Once we had eaten and cleaned up in the kitchen, we walked up to my room. They hadn't seen how empty my room had become and I wasn't excited for them to do so. All I had left was my bed and a framed picture of the three of us in New York standing next to it. I stood in the doorway, gazing over the empty white walls and the spots were my furnitures once had been.

I slowly walked inside. It felt so real now. I walked over to pick up the framed picture of us to hold in my hand. I pressed it to my chest as I stood in front of the window, ready to look out over the neighborhood from this spot one last time.

"Can you sing for me?" I asked, turning my head to the side a little but not entirely looking over my shoulder. "Gabe."

It took a few seconds before he said anything. "What would you like for me to sing?" He asked, his voice weak, like it was going to break any second.

"The one you sang in New York, that night in our hotel room.. The Scene Is Dead?" I was unsure if that was the name of the song, but it seemed to be correct since Gabe let out a breath and cleared his throat.

"I'm not playing this game no more," The soft tones of Gabe's voice echoed through the room. I closed my eyes. "I'm out of medicine, so call the medics."

Tears began making their way down my cheeks but I didn't care to wipe them away. They slid down my face until they reached the edge of my jaw, were they dripped down onto the floor.