t w e n t y s i x

Our teachers had really made a fantastic job in transforming the boring hallways to something that looked exciting and really cozy. Or maybe it was just the damped lightning that gave the impression of that.

Me and Dallon was standing in line to get a stamp before we entered the dance floor area. I was holding on tightly to Dallon's arm, nervous that Brendon somehow would spot me in the dark and come to talk to me.

I didn't really understand why I was so scared. He (and the rest of them) had ignored me and hadn't showed any signs of wanting to talk to either me or Dallon. So why did I even worry?

Suddenly it was our turn and we both reached our hands out. The stamp we got was colored in white and had a glow-in-the-dark effect on my skin. I looked at it with amazement in my eyes.

"I didn't know our school could afford high-tech stuff like this." I joked and Dallon laughed.

We walked further into our transformed school and soon reached the dining hall. All the tables were removed and replaced with small circle formed tables that all stood in the outskirts of the room. In the middle they'd created a big dance floor and some had already began moving their bodies to the beat of the music that quietly played through the speakers.

Dallon spotted a table not far from the DJ booth and we decided to take a seat there. I sat down while Dallon ran off to get some drinks for us. I looked around the room and tried to see if Brendon and his gang had arrived, but I couldn't seem to find them anywhere. It was relieving and very stressful.

Dallon came back again, this time with plastic mugs filled with some reddish liquid in his hands. I gave him a look as he sat down.

"And what exactly is this?" I asked and he looked down into his mug as he were to study the liquid.

"It's strawberry juice. At least that's what I think it said on the bowl." He said and grinned. I giggled.

We both took a sip from our mugs. The liquid tasted like some mix of strawberry and raspberry and somehow, that actually worked.

"So what did you and Gabe talk about in the car?" I asked him and leaned my head on my hand.

"He asked me about my bass practice and I told him how it had been going. Stuff like that. We decided we should jam together some day." He explained and I nodded.

"That's nice." I said with a smile and Dallon agreed.

Suddenly the music abruptly turned off and a voice came through the speakers instead. It was our principal speaking. When I looked up fully I could see him standing by the DJ booth, microphone in hand.

"Welcome, beloved students!" He said and a few whistles went through the room. I now realized the hall was filled with even more people than it was just a few minutes ago.

"Today is our last day together before you can start your holidays with your family and friends. I just wanted to thank you all for an amazing semester and that I can't wait to see you all after the holidays." Applauds went through the room, me and Dallon quietly joining in.

"But now the time has come for us to choose a prom king and queen." Silent laid across the room.

"We've gathered all of the votes from each and everyone of you, and the winners are..."

Dallon's hand suddenly intertwined with mine and I looked over to see him flash a smile at me. I smiled back.

"... Brendon Urie and Sarah Orzechowski!"

Applauds and whistles echoed through the room as Sarah and Brendon walked across the dance floor to receive their crowns. I let out a relieved breath that it wasn't me who was standing up there. But then I was worried that they'd seen us.

"Gabs," Dallon suddenly said and I looked over at him. "Let it go. For today, at least. It isn't healthy stressing over them." He said quietly and I realized how stupid I'd been.

"I'm sorry. You're right." I sighed. It wasn't right to let my nerves go out over Dallon. And if they wanted to talk, they would look me up. But for now I decided to lay all of that to the side and just enjoy my time with Dallon. He deserved that.

He carefully smiled a little. "Good."

The music soon began floating through the speakers again, much louder this time. Pop, hiphop, even some rock played and I watched as my excited  classmates danced across the dance floor.

I got up from my chair and stretched out my hand to Dallon. "Come on." I said with a smile. He gave me a questioning look, but took my hand.

I pulled him out from the dining hall and walked with him down the hallways. I looked up at the taller man to see him pouting. I chuckled.

"What?" I said and he shrugged.

"I thought you wanted to dance with me." He said, a slight hurt tone to his words. I squeezed his hand.

"Trust me, you do not want to see me dance." I said and he pulled me into his side so he could wrap his arm around my shoulders.

"Actually, I do." He said and giggled.

We continued to stroll around the school, just looking around and talking about everything and anything before we decided to return to the dining hall. Just as we walked in, the DJ announced that it was time for the first slow-dance of the day.

Dallon looked down at me with pleading eyes. "May I?"

I looked down a little, before I gave in and looped my arm through his. "Lead the way." I said as I looked up at him with a smile on my lips.

He smiled and we walked out to the middle of the floor. He turned his body towards me and placed his hand around my waist while his free hand held onto mine. I nervously chuckled since I'd never danced with anyone before. He pulled me closer to his chest and I rested my free hand on his shoulder.

Of course, the song that was playing was 'I Will Always Love You' by Whitney Houston. I didn't complain though.

Our feet moved slowly around in a small circle on the spot. I was clumsy, not really knowing how and where to move my feet and Dallon tried his best to show me even though he barely knew himself. The only knowledge I had about dancing was the one we'd be taught in school and that was not a lot. I felt awkward, which made me rest my head on Dallon's chest with my eyes closed.

Dallon rested his chin on my head and I smiled a little. His heartbeat was calm, while my own was beating hard against the frame of my chest. I didn't know if it was because of nervousness. It probably was. I suspected there was a hint of excitement in it too, but I didn't really care.

I looked up at the taller man who curiously gazed back at me with a small smile in the corner of his lips. I continued to stare at him and he didn't break our eye contact as the music slowly faded out for me. I wondered if it did that for Dallon too. My hand tightened were it rested on his shoulder when he leaned down to press his forehead against mine.

I inhaled a shaky breath and my eyes fluttered shut. I slowly exhaled as the darkness surrounded me. Dallon's nose touched mine and his breath fell on my lips. My hand suddenly let go of his and wrapped around the back of his neck. His now free hand wrapped around my waist and he tugged me closer to him. I felt his bottom lip brush against my top lip and my body relaxed. I leaned into him more as his lips fully brushed against my own.

The song suddenly ended and the light seemed to increase in the room. I let out a quiet sigh as I pulled away, but I was certain that Dallon could feel it. In his eyes I saw disappointment, but he could hide it so well behind the smile on his lips. It felt odd having our bodies unattached. I intertwined our fingers as we walked back to our table.

Maybe it weren't meant to be.