t w e n t y t w o

I woke up to the sound of rain against my bedroom window and raised my head as I reached for my phone. The screen lit up when I pressed the home button and the light was so strong that I had to squint my eyes at first.

3:46 am.

I sighed and placed my phone back on the nightstand. I continued to listen to the sound of the rain for a while as I ran a hand through my hair.

I thought of Dallon. Again. He occupied my mind constantly these days. More than he did before he started to hang out with Brendon. More than he did before I lost him.

But then I thought of someone who I hadn't seen in a while. Someone who cared for me and someone who hadn't left me. Someone who had told me to call, whatever time it was or whatever I needed.

Gabe.

I reached for my phone again and almost immediately found his contact in the list. I dialed his number and held the phone to my ear as I sat up in my bed.

The signals echoed in my still newly awoken ears and I started to lose hope in him actually picking up. But suddenly, a scratching sound was heard before Gabe's voice came through.

"Hello?" He said, his voice obviously tired.

"Hey. I'm sorry for waking you up." I said and I could hear him smiling as he said,

"No need to apologize. After all it was I to told you to call whenever you needed me. What's up?"

I let out a breath. "I'm just sad, I suppose." I said. "I'd rather not talk about why, I just need someone."

"I'm always here." He assured me and I smiled. "Let's talk about something else. What are you doing?"

I giggled quietly. "Well, I was awoken by the rain." I told him. "What are you doing?"

+++

Me and Gabe didn't hang up on the phone until two hours later, around six am, when my alarm rang. We decided to meet after school. He would come and pick me up and we'd just drive around town in his car for a while.

I felt relieved, because he got my mind on other things and that's what I needed right now. And I'd get away from Sarah and Breezy, who otherwise would insist I followed them home to one of their places. I was suspecting that they'd ask a lot of questions about yesterday, wonder why I ran off. I didn't feel like talking about that. Mostly because they didn't get it.

Gabe would most likely not understand either, but I wasn't planning on talking about Dallon to him.

I gathered my things and took a look at myself in the mirror before I walked downstairs, pulled my jacket and boots on and exited my house.

+++

The day passed by painfully slow. It always did when I was doing something exciting afterwards. The day consisted of Dallon giving me a quick hug that barely even felt like a hug, Sarah and Breezy being up my ass with hundreds of questions and a pounding headache that didn't leave me alone until I saw Gabe's car pull up outside the building.

I quickly ran off to my locker to get my bag, but I didn't had the time to leave before Brendon approached me. Honestly, he was the last person I wanted to see right now. I knew whatever he said, it would make me mad. I blamed him for all of this.

"Hey." He said and I could hear the slight concern in his voice. "Are you okay? You've been so distant lately."

I felt the anger build up inside of me.
"Why the fuck would you care?" I snapped at him and he looked quite shocked for a while. I threw my backpack over my shoulder.

"Haven't I always cared about you?" He said with a furrowed brow, slightly annoyed.

"No, Brendon, you haven't!" I sighed. "First, you go and talk shit about my best friend behind his back. Then you steal him away from me and act like he's your best friend suddenly."

Brendon turned pale. His face didn't show any expression or emotion. It was just blank.

"Just shut up and leave me be." 

I turned my back at him and started moving down the hall, both of my fists clenched like I was ready to hit someone. Brendon didn't chase after me, or call my name which I was thankful for.

Gabe met me outside of the entrance and he could see that something was wrong.

"Are you okay?" He asked me and I nodded.

"Let's just leave."

He didn't say anything else, just lead the way to his car and opened up the door for me as we arrived. I sat in the passenger seat and he in the driver's seat. Instead of driving off, he turned his body fully towards me.

"What happened in there?" He asked softly and I opened my mouth to speak, but the tears started running down my cheeks again.

Gabe quickly leaned over to embrace me in a hug, something I accepted. My arms wrapped around his broad shoulders and I dug my head into the crook of his neck, quietly sobbing.

Crying wasn't something I did very often, but nowadays I was always crying. I hated it. But it was the only way to get my emotions out. At least, this time I wasn't alone.

Gabe gently ran his hand up and down my back, not saying anything, just comforting me with his touch. I eventually calmed down and relaxed, not leaving the safe space in his arms. I let out a shaky breath and closed my eyes.

"Could you just drive me home?" I asked quietly, scared that he might get mad at me for ruining our plans.

But he didn't mind. "Of course," was the only thing he said before pressing a kiss to my temple and slowly proceeding to pull back to start the car. I stopped him.

"Can we just hug for a while longer?" I asked and he smiled faintly, before nodding and taking me into his arms again.