Chapter 3

The day went on as it normally would.  I was thankful that I hadn’t seen Josh since this morning in class.  But I also hadn’t seen that beautiful blonde, blue eyed boy named Niall either.  I was walking into my last class for the day and there they both were.  I looked at Josh with pain in my eyes and his glance at me was one of knowing what I was thinking.  I quickly diverted my attention to the empty seat next to Niall and began my walk over to it.

“Hey Harry!” He exclaimed.  “I’m glad I have you in another one of my classes.  It’s nice to see a familiar face!”

I smiled in return and took out my math book. 

“Hey” he said.  “Are you ok?  You seem a bit down.”

“Yea, I’m fine.  Just tired at the end of classes usually.” I said and shrugged my shoulders.

I know he didn’t believe me when he gave this look where left eyebrow raised and he lips went into a half smile.  “You know, I am a great listener and I think I give pretty good advice if I do say so myself!” he said and held my shoulder.

“Thanks.” I replied with a smile.  Making me feel comfortable, I told him quickly that sitting over in the back corner was my ex boyfriend and it was a difficult breakup.

“I’m sorry” he said.  “It must be really difficult to see him every day at school.  I know what a tough breakup can be like.  But eventually you’ll find someone else worth giving your heart to.” He said looking at me with empathy.  “Thank you.” I replied and gave him a half smile.  He was a really nice person and it did feel good to talk to him.

After a few minutes of silence he looked like he wanted to say something, but was trying to think how to word it correctly.  He finally turns to me and whispers “how do people at this school react to a student being gay or bi?”

“Um….you get the occasional star or snide remark from some, but overall no one really seems to mind.” I said as I examined his face.

“That’s good to hear.” He replied and turned his attention back to the teacher.

Was that his way of telling me that he was either gay or bi?  Or was I reading too much into it and he was just happy that the students in this school are for the most part tolerant.  A part of me was hoping it was the first.  I wanted to get to know him better.  I wanted to become friends and maybe, I thought, he would be the one to help me get over Josh.

I stood up and started to walk out the door at the end of class.  “Harry” Niall called to me.  I turned around and saw Josh out of the corner of my eye give a slight glare to Niall.  Was Josh jealous?  Did he still have feelings for me?  My mind wandered.  “Hey” Niall said as he tapped me back to reality.  “Do you walk home or do you have your own car?” he stated.

“I usually get a ride from my best friend Louis. But I could technically walk.  I only live about 10 minutes from school on Sycamore Drive.” I replied.  He smiled that amazing smile at me and said “That’s the street I live on!  It’s such a nice day and I plan on walking home.  Would you care to join me?”  I thought about it for a second while his amazing blue eyes looked upon me.    How could I say no to someone with those eyes and smile?  “Sure.” I replied.  “I just have to let Louis know.”

I walked up to Louis’ car with Niall right behind me.  “Hey guys.” I said to Louis, Liam and Zayn.  “This is Niall.”  They all said hello to each other and exchanged quick small talk.  “I’m going to walk home with Niall today, ok.” I said.  “Yeah, sure.  But call me as soon as you get home” Louis beamed!  “I really need to talk to you.” He said and gave me an obvious wink.  Oh God, I thought, I hope Niall didn’t see that. 

Our walk home was great.  We talked a lot.  Nothing to deep, just the kind of ‘get to know you’ kind of stuff.    We reached his house.  “I hope you don’t have to go much further by yourself” he said.  “No, actually, I just live about 5 houses up there on the left.” I pointed.  He smiled.  We stood there in front of his house for a moment awkwardly in silence until he spoke up first.

“It was really great getting to know you today, Harry.  I’m sure we will be great friends!”  “Yea, I think so.  And it was great meeting you as well!” I replied.  “See you tomorrow!” I said as I started to walk towards my home. 

“Um.. Harry” he said and I turned around to see him taking quick paces to catch up with me.  “Yeah” I replied.

“Do you maybe want to walk to school with me tomorrow morning?”

“Yes” I replied too quickly then felt the blush starting to creep up on my face.  He just smiled and said “Great!” and with that he hugged me and said “See you tomorrow.” And off he went into his house.  I stood there for a moment trying to process what just happened.  I turned slowly and started to make my way to my house.  It was just a hug, Harry.  Snap out of it.  It didn’t mean anything.  But maybe it did.  That was one of the best hugs ever. 

I walked happily into my house and up the stairs to my bedroom still thinking about Niall and my walk home.  As soon as I entered my room, my smile quickly turn to a frown when I saw the picture of myself and Josh that I have kept on my desk.  Niall and his beautiful blue eyes were no longer on my mind.