Chapter 16

Few weeks have passed and I am still trying.  He certainly isn’t making it easy, but I can’t expect him too.  I’m the one who messed up.  But I am not giving up and I think he finally knows that.  The boys are still encouraging and help with anything I need.

I have been putting letters or quick little notes in his lockers, sending him flowers, not very manly I know, but it’s a nice gesture; texting him every night before bed and every morning when I wake up.  Last week I even got up the courage to start walking with him to and from school again, although we don’t really talk much, but it is a nice feeling just to be in his presence.

There have been a few guys and girls that have been asking him out and trying to win his attention, but thankfully he has just maintained friendships with them and has not gone on any dates.  I know I have to do something bigger, like take him out on a date, if he will let me.  But I guess that I have to take the chance and just ask.  The worst that can happen is that he will say no.  That would crush me, but it would also not deter me.

I see him exiting the school beginning his walk home.  I quicken my pace to catch up with him.  It is Friday and I have built up the courage to ask him out tomorrow afternoon.  I figured a day date would be a good start.  I’ll make it romantic but it won’t have the extra romance that a night date would have.  Start off slow; I think that’s the best way.

I catch up and match my walking speed to his.  He slightly turns his head to glance at who just joined him.

“Hi” I say, hoping to open the dialogue.

“Hey” he replies.

We walk in silence for a few minutes and I begin to speak.

“So I guess I was just wondering if maybe you would let me take you out tomorrow afternoon.”  I pause and he doesn’t say anything so I continue making my case.

“I just think that it would be nice to hang out with you, just the two of us.  Do you think that would be alright?” I finish and wait for his answer.

After a few more minutes of agony waiting for him to reply, he finally does.

“I guess that would be ok.” He says and gives me a small smile.  I’ll take it!

“Great” and by this time we are in front of his house.

“I’ll text you in the morning and let you know the plans.” I say and reach out to touch his hand.  He doesn’t pull away and I am allowed to hold his hand for a few moments, which feels nice.  I hesitantly go in for a hug and again he doesn’t back away.  I hold him tight around the neck and he hesitantly wraps his arms around my waist.  After a minute he begins to pull away and I let him without protest.

“I’ll see you tomorrow” I state and begin the two minute walk to my house.

“Ok.” Is all that he replies and disappears into his home.