Chapter 10

The rest of the day went by in a flash.  I knew Niall was uneasy with the situation just as much as I was.  Over the past couple of months of getting to know each other, we had discussed my relationship with Josh and he knew most of what went on and he knew that I was having difficulty getting over him.

The next morning in English I took my new seat next to Josh.  I could see Niall looking over at us occasionally, with what appeared to be worry in his eyes.  I looked at him trying to tell him with my eyes that I wanted to be near him but was brought out of the silent conversation with Josh’s fingers under my chin, slightly turning my head back to look at him so we could talk, I assumed, about the project.

“I do miss you.” Were the first words out of Josh’s mouth.

I couldn’t breathe.  I just sat there looking at him.  Why would he say that?  Why would he say that to me when he knows that I am somewhat seeing Niall and I am happy.  I’m happy for the first time in a long time.

“Josh, please don’t say that to me.  Can we just discuss the paper and decide how to split up the work?” I said after raining in my emotions. 

“Harry, love.” He said bluntly, “I know you still have feelings for me somewhere in there” he said placing his index finger on my chest over my heart,  “ I’m kinda hoping that I can win you back and prove to you that I now know that I want to be with you.  We have spent so much time apart and it made me relize that I loved you way more than I allowed myself to admit and you ended things with me because you didn’t think our love was equal. “

  “Josh, please stop.” I begged

“No Harry.  I won’t stop.  I’m going to use this opportunity that we have while doing this paper together to prove to you that we belong together.  This should be a sign.  We got paired for a reason.  It’s fate.” He stated like it was a matter of fact.

“Josh, it was total coincidence.  Please don’t do this to me.  I have been finally getting over you and Niall makes me happy.” I replied with tears stating to form in my eyes.

“But is he your boyfriend?’’ he replied

“No, but-“ I was stopped mid sentence

“Then we still have a chance.  I will show you Harry.  I love you and I want you back and you will be mine again.” He whispered softly to me as he slowly grazed his hand across my cheek and down my neck.

I turn my head away from him to look down at my notebook.  I secretly wiped the few tears away that were falling slowly down my cheek.  Why did a part of me want to hear those words from him?  I want Niall.  I really want Niall.  He has been nothing but sweet, amazing and patient with me this entire time.  I couldn’t hurt him by trying to get back with Josh, but being back with him is all I ever wanted.  I wanted him to realize that he needed me as much as I wanted him to.  And here he was confessing all of this to me.  His hand felt right on my cheek.  After all this time it still felt right.  But Niall felt right too.  I am so torn right now.  I was brought out of my thoughts when I felt a pair of eyes on me from across the room.  I didn’t need to turn around to know the eyes would belong to Niall, but I had to look anyway.

I turned my head slowly to meet Niall’s gaze and I could tell immediately he was hurt.  I imagine he saw Josh touching my chest and my cheek.  I doubt he heard any of the conversation because he was all the way on the other side of the room, but still, it didn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out what was going one. 

Suddenly the bell rang causing me to jump.  I saw Niall walking over to me and Josh stood up and as he was leaving he ran his hand over my shoulders and leaned down to where his lips were inches from my ear.  I could feel his breathe as he spoke.