The Boy Next Door Owes Me Oreos (34)

It was finally Wednesday, and even though I was excited for the day to roll around it meant that half the week was over and that Devon would be going home in only a few more days. I knew before she even showed up that I had missed her and my life from New Hampshire, but now it was more magnified. I had friends here, and it wasn't horrible here... I just missed everyone and everything I had before this stupid move. I didn't want to say goodbye to Devon, and during our late night conversations while we lounged in my bed she admitted the same thing. I already knew it would be hard to say goodbye to her, but while we drove to the neighboring town that we were playing against I told myself to stop worrying about it. I still had three more days with her and after this game I would make them last. Today wasn't the day to worry, I needed my head in the game.

I drove in Chase's truck, buckled up in the middle wedged between Chase, who was driving, and Ryan. More guys wanted to ride in the bed of Chase's truck but I refused to have any part in that. Drivers Ed back in New Hampshire showed a video of a boy who was drunk driving a truck with eight people in the bed, and he killed every single one of his friends. Even after that story, they weren't impressed, but then I threatened to have my Mom give me a ride and immediately Chase refused to have anyone else in the back of the truck. He used the excuse that it would be illegal, but it didn't fool anyone. For this team it was bad luck for any team member to show up without the rest of the team. Yeah, it was news to me too.

We all traveled in a pack for the most part, we had to take the highway to get to this town. I had no idea where it was, but Chase lead the cars and there had to be at least six behind us.

The windows in the truck where completely down, and the only thing keeping all my hairs from attacking Chase and Ryan, and myself was the hair tie that was firmly holding my hair in place on the top of my head. It didn't stop the stray hairs from stabbing at my face though due to the speed Chase was driving at. The entire time though the radio was blasting, pumping beats out that I couldn't help but dance and sing along to.

“I didn't take you as a New Boyz fan.” Ryan laughed, as I sang out and tried really hard to get a move out strapped down because of how tightly I was in this truck.

“I like to play pretend too, I heard you had a baby... you wanna New Boy in you?!” I asked Ryan slyly, and he awkwardly shook his body against mine too. Not too close though, we both had seat belts on.

“Not in particular.”

“That was a big word for you Ryan!” I rejoiced, as the song finished out. The next song that wasn't interrupted by a radio broadcaster was I Wanna Go by Britney Spears. “F You. F You. F You. F You. You're Cool--- I'm Out.” I said in the opening beats from the music video and Ryan just stared at me incredulously.

“Seriously, Britney Spears?” He asked. “This girl is full of wonders huh?” He asked Chase, and Chase smirked.

“Guy, I had her ipod for like two weeks. She has musical ADD, you put that ipod on shuffle and it goes from some girl you have never heard of singing acoustic and all classical to Pitbull. She listens to some girl whose main instrument is a ukelele.” Chase explained, and I hit him lightly.

“Julia Nunes is my idol, you can't insult her.”

We were already in our team shirts, and because of the heat it was already sticking to my back. It would be the first time we were in our jerseys, which was a bright red with black lettering. Coach had ordered them for us a week ago. We would be getting in our jerseys there. The only problem was he didn't order me the right size, especially not for playing soccer. Generally, yeah I'm a medium but who wants to run around in a tight shirt under the hot sun? I was just thankful I had a sports bra, or I would have a completely different problem on my hands.

This school was smaller than I had expected, and was smaller than our high school for sure. No one really seemed to take this game seriously because I guess in the past they have played this team before and they weren't really a challenge and we won 16-1. Which is impressive, but as I climbed out of the truck after Ryan I was immediately intimidated.

The guy who were on their team were sporting blue jerseys, and were waiting to show us up to the field out of good sportsmanship but instead of directing us they were all staring at me.

“The rumors were true!” One yelled.

“They really do have a girl on their team!” A huge group of them laughed, and my face lit up.

“At least she's hot!” And that was all Chase needed to hear to round his head around the top of his truck.

“What?!” He demanded, striding over to Ryan and I confidently. “I would appreciate it if you didn't talk like that about one of our team mates.” Due to the crowd that was around us, the rest of our team were making their way over to defend us. Everyone seemed ready for a fight.

“Yeah, only members of OUR team can tell her how smoking she is, got it?!” Ryan tried to back me up and I smacked the back of his head so hard it hurt my hand.

“HEY!” Chase and I said together, “shut up Ryan!”

“She's probably no good anyway!” A tall, light browned hair boy said, he stood out from the rest of the guys and I had a feeling that he in a way was his teams Chase. “I'm willing to bet the only reason she's on the team-”

“Do not even finish your sentence!” I practically growled, thrusting my way between Mikie and Chase who had wormed there way protectively in front of me unnoticed. “The reason I'm on this team is skill, which is more than I can say for you, so make you and your team know that the only thing you're going to get from me is a good a** beating!” Fueled my anger, I wanted to make that kid bleed but before anything else could happen we all noticed Coach pull up and dispersed rather quickly towards the school so we could get into our uniform.

“What was that all about?” Coach asked as we entered their girls locker room.

“Nothing.” I grumbled.

“You could have warned Sylvia that they didn't know there would be a girl on the field.” Chase insisted, and my eyes went wide because Coach looked pissed.

“No. No, I figured they would be thrown back by it. I don't mind, actually the reaction on some of their faces were kind of priceless.” I threw on a fake smile to top off my incredible lie. The fact they wouldn't be expecting a girl player had actually never crossed my mind, and all their reactions did was anger me.

“Listen to the girl Chase, I know you're still mad but trying to pick fights with me isn't the best way to deal with it.” And with that Coach threw him his jersey, with a large, bright one on the back. I got the next shirt, which held a two and the rest were distributed between the shirtless guys. I didn't hesitate to strip off my team shirt because I had an undershirt on but it didn't stop some of the boys from looking... will I never get old?

We left the locker room and made our way to the field quickly, we were ready to play and win. The stands around the field were full of on lookers, I recognized some of the faces from school, and Devon, Abel and my Mom in the stands. They both looked surprised, and I think I know why. This was a boy cut shirt, it might have hid the curves because it was so baggy in the torso, but it still defined my chest. I would need to request something else because this would not work especially if all the guys on the opposite team were going to do was stare.

The kids who were told they wouldn't be playing the field first took a seat on the bench, and the opposing team were already in position. I took my place on the front line only a few feet away from Chase, who was center and we smirked at each other because of their expressions. I was correct with my assumption that that light brown haired kid would be their captain, he was standing in front of Chase looking aggressive and competitive. It was like the had never seen a girl play soccer before, and regardless to the fact that I'm on a boys team, they needed to suck it up because my team mates sure did quick.

After the first goal, they seemed to sober up real quick about me. Chase enjoyed the fact that they weren't taking me seriously, and the first three plays I didn't have a single person guarding me. To show them their mistake, Chase who had possession of the ball raced down the field with me diagonal and ahead of him enough that one swift kick would have that ball in without a problem. The goalie didn't even register I was there, he stepped out of his goal to guard it from Chase and no one saw it coming. Chase screamed my name, kicked the ball at me and before I knew what I was doing I kicked that ball so hard it made my foot ache and made the net dance triumphantly with the impact.

A very prominent smirk was on my face for at least half the game, I could tell Coach was extremely surprised by Chase and my performance. We were sharing the ball, it wasn't just Chase who touched it like in practices and I wondered if it had anything to do with our extra practices. Everyone touched the ball at least once, and we won 8-0. I had scored three of those goals, assisted in almost all of them, Chase the same and Ryan and Ricky scored two. I was winded and tired and completely ready for bed. I had fallen a lot, because the other team couldn't keep their feet work to a minimum or in their own space but it was always chalked up as an accident.

It's not my fault they didn't take me seriously.

We lined up to do the congratulations, good game hand shakes, but no one on the other team looked too thrilled to do so. I didn't know a single person on that team, and half of them didn't even touch my hand, all they did was mumble good game. It was that light brown haired kid that pulled me out of my thoughts of a hot bath and another fun night with Devon-- by grabbing my butt so forcefully that I jumped three feet and squealed. His team started laughing like a bunch of hyenas, and the hand shaking line was broken immediately because Chase was at my side in an instant along with the rest of the boys.

“You're f*cking mine!” Chase growled, grabbing at that kids blue jerseys and pulling him closer to him. All hell broke lose, the blue shirted kids tried defending their captain by getting at Chase but Ryan, Ricky, Mikie and all the boys jumped into action. I didn't take anything else in but Chase getting ready to punch that kid out and my heart turned to ice. There was no hands on contact with soccer, and if Chase had his way he would be kicked off the team. His eyes were full of hate and anger, and I remembered the conversation I had with coach about how badly he needed this.

“Chase! No!” I yelled, ripping the two guys apart as the coaches and ref finally pulled apart the sparing boys.

“ENOUGH!” My coach belted, throwing a few of his kids to the white line closest to the parking lot. “Get in your cars, and get home!” He ordered, as the other coach was barking orders to his own team.

My heart was pounding as I walked to the stands where my family and friends stood absolutely shocked by the outburst that just happened. The entire crowd actually did, but they didn't matter. No one really said anything as we walked to my Moms car, I thought it would be pointless to have to ride home with Chase, and everyone else that had parents here were riding home with them.

I was about to climb into the front seat when a hand grabbed my shoulder lightly. Chase held a little smile for me. “Hey...” He said lamely, and I was strongly aware of the listening ears of my Mother, Devon and Abel. “I'm sorry for making you get in the middle of that.” I stared at him incredulously.

“You're sorry? That guy was a creep Chase. I should be saying thank you to you, and I hope we don't get in trouble... I'll see you bright an early tomorrow morning.”