1

"Hey! Get back here with that!" The clerk yelled as I ran from the store. The green fruit shining in my tightly griped hand. I got to the corner and changed direction going left "Thief! Thief! Someone call the police!" The man continued to yell into the passing crowd. Huffing down the sidewalk I'm dodging people trying not to drop the apple in my hands. My eyes only get to about waist level so its hard to tell if I'm being followed or not. Grownups not noticing that I'm there continuously step in my way, then scolding me for bumping into them.

Its hard being short. I don't think tall people understand.

Finally I get to the second corner and stop to catch my breath. Seeing the green apple laying in my hands safe and sound makes the pain in my ribs all worth it. The walk sign lights up and I cross the street with all the other business men and women trying to get to work this morning.

It's a lot harder to walk down these streets when all the adults have places to be. Being pushed aside to the point that my feet are walking on the curb and a cool fall breeze flows through the air. I guess I should tell you about my little self.

My name is Sophia Mackenzie. I'm five years old and proud of it. I live in the absolutely beautiful and stinky New York City. My house isn't necessarily a house though. More like a cardboard box but it is perfect for me. I even have some drawings of Mommy and me in it.

Mommy was gorgeous. With her blue/green eyes like mine and long blonde hair, most people say that I'm a spitting image of her. Mommy isn't around anymore though. I'm not sure where she is right now but its not here. She left me a couple months ago and never came back. I miss her a lot sometimes. I guess you could say I'm all alone now. Maybe your right too, I'm not sure.

People were punching each other around and crowding the sidewalk. Lucky for me I can squeeze under and between their legs. The apple was held tightly in my right hand and I began to inch my way through.

A sudden pain struck in my head and shakes my body, causing my breakfast to fly out of my hand and me to fall onto my butt. Looking up I see some giant standing in my way. His blue eyes squint at me in disgust and confusion. He has a nice suit on and his hair is styled up.

Well excuse me Mister 'I'm so fancy'

I bent down and reached for my apple that rolled away and fell off the curb. Looking it over I see it covered in dirt and mud with a big bruise already forming. My heart fell knowing that I probably shouldn't eat it. All while I'm worried about surviving the man was mumbling about how his shoes could be scuffed.

Standing up and brushing my bottom from the dirt the man growled "You ruined my shoes."

I ruined his shoes?

Me, the five year old homeless girl ruined your shoes?

Anger filled me up and I felt my ears get warm. "Well you're a jerk for ruining my breakfast!" I yelled back. The man towered over me making me take a step back in fear.

Good job soph, now Mister fancy is also Mister scary.

+
+
+
+

Edited on June 25th, 10:03 p.m. (Please if you notice any mistakes that I missed message me or you can comment in the chapter :) )

Peace out peeps