Chapter 121.

(The song I listened to while writing this was "Hundred": by The Fray. I feel like it is exactly what they are going through. I have a "Hessa" playlist that I listen to while writing this story, I just thought I would let you know what I listened to while writing this chapter! lol ily all)

After my shower I decide to get myself all the way ready before leaving the bathroom. I am a coward, I know but I need a little more time before I put on a fake smile for Hardin's mother. It's not exactly a fake smile, that's the problem. I had a really nice time yesterday and I slept better than I have all week including my drunken slumber with Hardin on Friday. I slept well that night but I only got a few hours of sleep.

Once my hair is curled to near perfection, I pack my things back into my small bag.

"Tess?" Hardin's voice calls through the door as his knuckles lightly tap the wood.

"I'm finished." I respond and open the door to find him leaning against the door wearing long gray cotton shorts and a white t-shirt.

"Not to rush you or anything but I really have to piss." He gives me a small smile and I nod.

"Sorry." I say and try not to notice the way his shorts hang on his hips making the black ink over his side even more visible under the white t-shirt.

"I'm going to get dressed then I will be on my way." I tell Hardin and he looks away, focusing on the wall.

"Okay."

I exit the bathroom and walk straight to the bedroom to get dressed before facing Anne. I feel terribly guilty lying to her and leaving so soon. I know she was so excited to meet me and I am leaving on her second day here.

I decide on wearing my white dress with my old black tights underneath, It is too cold to wear only the dress. I probably should just put on jeans and a sweatshirt but I decide against it.  I wear the dress more than the rest of my clothes lately but I love it and it gives me a strange sense of confidence, which is something that I need today. I pack my clothes back into my bags and place the hangers back into the closet.

"Do you need some help?" Anne says from behind me.

I jump, dropping my navy dress that I wore in Seattle.

"I was just..." I fumble my words. I don't know what to say.

"How long will you be at your mother's?" She asks, her eyes staring into the half empty closet.

"Uhm.. I.. " I am a really terrible liar.

"It looks like you're going to be gone for a while."

"Yea.. I don't have many clothes." I squeak.

"I was going to see if you wanted to do some shopping while I was here, maybe if you come back before I leave we can go?" She asks.

I can't tell if she believes my lie or if she suspects that I don't ever plan on returning here.

"Yea.. sure." I lie again.

"Mum.." Hardin says in a low voice as he enters the room.

I notice his frown as his eyes take in the empty closet and hope that Anne isn't observing her son the way that I am.

"I'm just finishing packing." I explain and he nods.

I zip the last bag and look at Hardin, completely unsure what I should say.

"I will take your bags down for you." He says, grabbing my keys from the dresser then bends down to pick up the bags from the floor.

As Hardin disappears from the room, Anne's arms wrap around my shoulders.