Chapter 165.

"That guy.. the one on stage.. is your religion professor?" Hardin asks me, despite the fact that Steph just told him.

"Yes." I finish off my drink and begin looking around the table for another.

"He's in a band? How fucking lame." Hardin leans back on his chair and rolls his eyes, tapping his fingers against the wooden table.

"They are pretty good, really." Nate says, clearly testing Hardin's patience tonight.

"How weird is that that you came here and he's here playing? What a coincidence!' Landon says to me.

Yeah, coincidence.

"He asked me to come, to bring some friends." I explain, still not looking at Hardin.

This whole thing really isn't a big deal at all but with Hardin, everything is a big deal.

"Anybody want another?" Nate asks, holding up another pitcher of beer.

"Oh." Landon's nose scrunches up in that way that lets me know exactly what he is thinking.

"He shouldn't be inviting you anywhere, he is a professor." Hardin frowns, he is obviously annoyed by the fact that he was locked out of the apartment and perhaps that Zed is here.

"It's not like that. He's a nice guy Hardin." I say quietly.

"You think everyone is nice Tess, you are naïve."

"He is a college professor, that would be incredibly unprofessional if there were anything more to this. It's just a show. That's it."

"Sure, Tessa." Hardin barks.

"Anyway... let's enjoy the music." Zed says, looking at Hardin.

My hand immediately rests on Hardin's thigh in an attempt to make some of the tension disappear, the air is thick with it and my head is beginning to feel fuzzy from the alcohol. Hardin glares at Zed for a few seconds but doesn't say anything.

"We will be back on in ten minutes!" Professor Soto announces through the microphone.

"Probably needs to try to learn how to actually sing." Hardin says under his breath.

"How was the game?" I ask him and Landon.

 The game must have not gone too bad since Landon is sitting across from me. It's still strange that Landon is here with us, I don't know why Hardin brought him but I am glad he did. I wish he could hang out with us more often.

"It was great, we won." Landon beams, then coughs.

"I hate cigarettes." He complains and I nod in agreement.

"I missed you." I lean into Hardin's shoulder, he seems to relax slightly.

"Did you now?" He asks timidly, a smile slowly creeping in.

"Yes, I did." I say and feel his hand lay over mine on his leg.

"How much have you had to drink?" He asks.

"Not this again." I roll my eyes playfully and take a large gulp from my glass.

"I'm only asking." His lips are dangerously close to my ear, close enough to make me shiver.

"I can't tell what type of mood you are in." I say so that only he can hear me.

"Neither can I. I'm pissed that you were invited here by your professor, and I'm pissed that he is here." He says, I know he is referring to Zed. "But I did miss you, and now I am here."