Chapter 128.

(Songs for this chapter are Chris Young- You, The Fray- All at Once, The Fray- You found me)

"Should we go out there with your mother?" I ask him after a few beats of silence.

"No.. let's just stay like this for a minute." He says.

"Okay." I happily oblige.

I know that Hardin and I still have things to sort out but I feel so resolved now, so calm, so right. I am worried about everyone's reaction, especially my mother's but I will deal with that when the time comes. I hope the fact that I am not spending Christmas with her for the first time in eighteen years will overshadow her anger over Hardin and I being together again and honestly if it doesn't I don't care. Well, I care but I am tired of the constant battle between her and I. I can't keep going to war with her over my choices, and I it's impossible to make her happy. I am done trying.

I lean my head against Hardin's chest and he takes the end of my ponytail into his hands and twirls the hair between his fingers. I am glad that I got all of the gifts wrapped, it was stressful enough to get them at the very last minute. Shit. I didn't get Hardin a gift! Did he get me one? Probably not, but now that we are together again.. or sort of for the first time.. I am afraid that he did and I didn't get him anything at all. I should have gotten him something before. What would I even get him?

"What's wrong?" He asks and moves his hand to my chin, tilting my face to his.

"Nothing.. "

"You aren't .. you're not .. you know.. changing your mind?" His voice is slow and unsure.

"No.. no. I just.. I didn't get you a gift." I admit.

His face breaks into a smile and his eyes meet mine.

"You're worried about getting me a gift for Christmas?" He laughs.

"Yea.. I should have gotten you something but I didn't know.."

"Tessa, honestly you have given me enough. You worrying about a Christmas gift is ridiculous."

"You're sure?"

"Positive." He laughs again.

I still feel guilty, maybe I will get him something when the malls open back up after Christmas. I will be at Landon's for Christmas anyway. I wish Hardin would reconsider.

"I will get you something really good for your birthday?" I shrug and he moves his hand back to my face. His thumb runs along my bottom lip causing them to part and I expect him to kiss me again.

Instead, his lips touch down on my nose and then my forehead in a surprisingly sweet gesture.

"I don't really do birthdays." He tells me.

"I know.. I don't either." This is one of the few things we have in common.

"Hardin?" Anne's voice calls as a light tap is heard on the door.

He groans and rolls his eyes as I climb off of his lap.

"It wouldn't kill you to be nicer to her, she hasn't seen you in a year."

"I'm not mean to her." He says and I know he honestly believes it.

"Just try to be a little nicer, for me?" I bat my eyelashes dramatically and he smiles.

"You're the devil." He teases but agrees.

"Hardin?" She repeats and knocks again.

"Coming!" He says and climbs off of the bed.

He opens the door and I cross my legs on the bed.

"Do you two want to watch a movie?" She asks him.