Chapter 30: Scarves and Handcuffs

Juliet Rose

"Thanks for the invite," I said quietly while buckling my seat belt.

Megan smiled at me and turned her attention towards our driver. "To the mall, please." He nodded and started the car.

We sat for a moment in silence. I wanted desperately to speak to her again, but no words came out. I couldn't think of anything to say. What was I supposed to say to someone that I just found out was my sister?

I took in a heavy breath then said, "Tell me everything that happened between us. Please."

Megan laughed. I wasn't sure if it was sarcastic or innocent. She said, "Do you really want to know? It's not going to be pretty." I nodded and she continued. "Well, we met on your first day at school. You were with Asher, and then we invited you to sit at our table."

I suppressed a giggle. It sounded so cliche. A memory of the moment I sat down at their table flashed in my mind, but it quickly vanished before I could remember anything else.

"We were good friends, until," she sighed, sounding like she couldn't bear to continue. "You became jealous of me."

I paused. Jealous? That doesn't sound like me. Before I moved to this town, I recall myself never being the jealous type, or at least I tried not to.

"Your jealousy overcame you, and suddenly you were out to avenge me," Megan continued. My mouth turned agape from the shock. "I know, it sounds bizarre. I didn't believe you'd be like that either when I first met you."

"Are you sure?" I gulped down the lump in my throat. Heat was rushing to my cheeks, and all I wanted to do at that moment was to let hot tears roll down my face. I need to be alone to let this news sink in. "What did I do?" I asked, although I'm not sure if I wanted to know the answer.

"I always knew you were jealous of me. If it was about my appearance or money or whatever went through your head; I didn't know, and I tried not to care because you were my friend." She laid a hand on my knee as a way to pity or comfort me, but it wasn't working. I shifted closer to the car door. "First, you tried to steal my friends and get them to like you more than me.

"Soon you somehow made Asher like you just to spite me. Perhaps in the long run you eventually grew to love him, but I wouldn't know."

I wanted desperately to fall down to my knees and beg for forgiveness. How could I have been such a cruel person? "I'm sorry."

"Don't be. The past is in the past." She smiled at me.

The driver stopped the car and grunted, "We're here." He seemed upset.

"Are you alright?" I asked him.

"Fine. Just be careful," he replied, sighing. I wasn't sure if he was referring to me exiting the car or what Megan had said.

I was slightly upset by how she told me these things as if I were to do something about the past and reverse it. Her anger at me lingered in her voice, no matter how hard she tried to suppress it. 

~

Megan Green

"You also butt into my business a lot. I hated that in people. When they interrupt others conversations as if their opinion matters," I snapped, eyeing the driver, then quickly smiling again. "Go on without me, I just have to grab something in the car." Jules agreed and walked towards the entrance door to the mall.

"What are you doing?" I snarled at Rick.

He ignored me. "How long will you be staying here? Should I go back to the house and pick you up later, or would you prefer for me to stay in the parking lot and wait?"