Chapter 8: Hugs & Disses

Chapter 8 Hugs & Disses

AN: I recently made a trailer for Broken, and it would mean a lot to check it out. It is only 41 seconds that you'll use in your life! So check it out now or you will forever be cursed with bad luck.

To view the video:

1.) Go to the ONLINE version of wattpad.

2.) Select any of my chapters from 1-7.

3.) Scroll down the right bar (includes photos, cast, etc.) until you see the video.

4.) Enjoy!

thankyouu

Juliet Rose

MRS. JOHNSON IS GIVING US a quiz on the Industrial Revolution of the 1800s. This quiz was special, though, since we had not even thirty seconds to answer one question in front of the entire class. If we didn't answer it correctly, we would automatically get a zero for the day.

"Ella Madison Parker," Mrs. Johnson called. "You're up next."

Her hand was shaking for a few seconds before she evidently let out a deep breath.

"Question number one," Mrs. Johnson began with a stern voice. "What do you think is the most helpful invention we have learned about so far?"

She gulped, "I say the cotton gin. It helped collect cotton more than fifty times what we would have gotten without it. It also increased cotton production."

"Good. Now, sit," she turns to me, smiling evilly as if I'm her next victim. "Ms. Rose, I haven't heard from you in quite a while. Why don't you tell the class whether or not you disagree with Ella here, hm?"

I nod silently in response. Do I agree with her? If I don't, I'll embarrass her in front of the entire class. And I'm not saying this because I'm scared of what she is capable of doing to me, but because I truly don't want her to get hurt. The poor girls probably dealing with a lot that I don't know of, and nobody deserves to get embarrassed by Ms. Johnson.

"I'm waiting, Juliet," she states.

"Well, I-I..." I stuttered. You can do this, Jules. "Actually, I do not agree with Ella."

The whole class gasps as if I had just grown two heads. Ella shoots me a look, squinting her devil eyes at me. Suddenly I don't feel as bad for her.

"You see, the cotton gin led to an increase in slave population. Although it helped us with cotton, it also meant more slaves to work in the factory. Slavery was a tragic conflict back in the day, and I still don't think it was ever right, whether or not they needed more workers. Although a lot of other machines involved capturing more slaves, I have to say the cotton gin was what started it. I apologize to Ella for disagreeing with her, but that is just my opinion."

I can see Ms. Johnson's eyes spark with delight as she clasps her hands together, "what a great point of view! We barely even spoke about slavery in this chapter, and yet you were able to bring it up. Well done, Ms. Rose. Well done."

My cheeks turn a light pink, for I'm not used to such compliments. It was a common thing for a teacher to dislike me at my old school. It's not because of fooling around or talking, but it was actually for lack of talking! They said I was too shy and barely participated in class. Sure, my grades were good, but they said that that wasn't good enough. That's why I need to fit in this time, I need to start fresh. I have a chance to gain a new reputation, a new life ahead of me. I could be someone I never imagined to be!

And maybe I'll just like this new 'Juliet Rose'.

* * *

I close the faded blue locker door, struggling to keep my books within my arms. Turning around, I see a tall blonde slowly approach me, her heels clacking against the floor. Her outfit seems so tight that I'm sure not even a piece of lead would fit in it. Compared to my jeans and sweatshirt, I look like an embarrassment to humanity. Suddenly, a flashback appears in my mind.