Chapter 19: Hallways

Chapter 19 Hallways

Juliet Rose

I SOB THROUGH MY tear-stained pillow, tears strolling down my face. It was another school morning, and honestly I'm not sure what day it is. Yesterday, I sat with Ava during most of our classes, and skipped lunch to go the library. Fortunately, the staff didn't mind.

All I've been doing is thinking about Asher, and how he probably hates my guts now. How he has completely lost interest in me. How I'll never find love again.

God, I hate life.

"Hello my sweet honey cutie cupcake cookie pop!" Mom smiles, leaning on the edge of my door.

"I am not your sweet honey cutie cupcake cookie pop!" I say without a pause. I'm not sure how I remembered exactly what she said, but I guess it was a mother-daughter kind of thing.

She sighs, and immediately leaves the room. I slip into my clothes, wearing a suitable enough outfit. I don't feel like going to school today. What's the point if all I'm going to do is drown in my own tears?

I wonder if Asher thinks the same.

Science test today. Ten multiple choice. Three essay questions. Four short answer. Fifty-five minutes.

Great.

Megan and I both have science together, so I guess you could say it's been a little awkward for the both of us. I only wish that I could comprehend why she's so infuriated with me. We were such good friends the first week, what did I ever do to upset her?

Whatever it is, I am determined to fix it. I'm not going to let this small problem ruin our friendship. I've already lost Asher because of her, and I don't want to have done that for nothing.

"Mr. Jackson, may I sharpen my pencil?" Megan asks with a courteous hint in her voice. She sounded so sophisticated, so unlike herself.

"Of course, no need to ask," he smiles back at her. Megan seems so civil when she talks to teachers, but to me she's like a devil with an angels face.

As she slowly walks towards the front of the classroom, she secretly inserts her hand into my desk. Quickly, she pushes my notebook onto the cold floor, opening it up to reveal a bunch of useless words I'll never need. I see her mouth 'oops' as she casually continues her short walk to the pencil sharpener.

I want to strangle her, but at the same time I still wish we were friends. I lean down to the floor, picking up my notebook. That was a big mistake.

"Mr. Jackson, Mr. Jackson! Jules is looking at her notes! She's cheating!" I hear someone say. Megan gives me a mischievous grin while Ella gives out a small cackle.

I hate to say it, but they could be twinning right now.

At the end of class, Mr. Jackson went to 'talk' to me. I can already imagine all the consequences I'm going to get.

And I don't even deserve it.

"I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to look as if I was cheating. My notebook fell out of my desk, and I was just picking it up!" I whine.

I shiver at the word fell. One side of my brain is telling me to rat out Megan, while the other tells me that it'll do no good.

"It fell? Why were you touching your desk in the first place?" he questions me, folding his arms. Shine a light on me and tie me to a chair, and this is automatically an interrogation.

I gulp. Defending Meg in every situation I have isn't as easy as it looks. Sure she's a witch right now, but I'm positive she has an acceptable reason as to why she's doing this. I trust her, as odd as it is.