Chapter 17: Bad Memories

Chapter 17 Bad Memories

Avery Rose (Juliet's Mom)

I LOOK AT HIS TALL FIGURE IN the distance- same jet black hair and pale skin. I haven't seen him in over a decade, so why would he be here?

The flashback of our memories rushes to my mind as I try to comprehend why he would be here. He can't find me here. I can already imagine the consequences that'll bring me if he does find me.

I never want to relive those memories again.

***flashback***

"So you're just going to leave me? What about our future together?" I cry, holding in my tears.

"Avery, I can't. This is a great job opportunity that I can't back down on. Our company is losing profit, this is my chance to actually mean something to my father," he replies, shaking his head.

I can't even tell what I'm feeling right now. It's a mixture of anger and sadness, and all I want to do is punch him in the face. How could he want to leave me just so he could please his future company?

I reach for my necklace, and throw it to the ground. A crack forms in the middle of the heart-shaped locket, creating two chains. So ignorant of him to propose to me by necklace. He had given me the silver locket as a proposal, saying it was meant for him to always be with me even if he wasn't there.

Now I don't even care if he's with me or not. I just want him to leave me forever.

"Leave. Go to your stupid company, and never come back. Have fun in Miami," I say, pointing to the door.

"Fine," he replies, walking towards the door. He leaves, slamming the door hard on his way.

Although we were still young, Xander still wanted to achieve his dream of owning his own business. His father owned a jewelry company, and promised to hand it on to him. But only if he was worthy of it. Therefore, Xander would always go on business trips, training to become the next CEO of Jewels Incorporation.

It usually led to our arguments, like this one right here. He decided that he wanted to go to Florida where one of his companies would be. He said there were plenty of great opportunities there, and we would eventually meet again. But I know that was a lie.

We're all the way here in NYC, and my father can barely afford this diminutive apartment. It would be impossible for me to waste my money to travel all the way there, and I know he wouldn't risk leaving his business for me.

It's my fault for rushing this marriage, especially since I'm still in my early twenties.

Unexpectedly, an unpleasant taste fills my mouth. I run to the sink, vomiting. Little bits of my lunch visit me again as I try to figure out why this was all happening. Am I sick? Did I eat something bad?

It hits me. A perplexing feeling forms in my stomach, shivers running down my back.

Please, let that not be the answer.

* * *

"What does it mean? Am I alright?" I question the doctor apprehensively.

She smiles widely, "you're actually perfectly fine. And I think you'll be happy with the news." she pauses excitedly. "You're pregnant!"

***flashback ends***

I tighten my grip on the wheel as I hear a loud bang. I find Jules, smacking the car window and mouthing 'open it!'. I unlock the car door, snapping out of the flashback.

"Sorry, hon," I apologize, starting the car and trying to forget about the horrid memories. I look out the window, where Xander is no longer standing. It probably never was him in the first place.

She rolls her eyes. "You're sorry? I kept banging on the window for like, twenty minutes straight while you just stared at the wheel! For a second there I thought Medusa had frozen you."

"Watch your mouth, missy. I can ground you," I snap, leaving the parking lot and into the road.

"Yes, please do so. It's better than this misery called school."

I question, "And that is supposed to mean?"

"Nothing, Mom. Nothing," she sighs, looking out the window.

-❤️-

Megan Green

"I still can't believe your home, Dad!" I say, hugging him tightly again. I can't remember the last time I actually made physical contact with him. He was so tall and big compared to my puny body. "Once I saw your face instead of Ricks, I literally screamed!"

He smiles, "this isn't the first time I've been home, Meg."

"I know, but it's been the first in a long time. You never come home early enough to kiss me good night, and on weekends your just stuck on your computer the entire time."

He sighs, "I know, I know. I wish it wasn't like that, but I have a company to run. You know that."

I nod. "So why are you home early anyway?"

"Ah, yes! I almost forgot to tell you," he says with excitement. "Our company is the number one jewelry store in California! To celebrate, I went home early."

"Oh," I sigh. "Congrats, Dad."

For a moment there, I thought he came home for me. So he could spend more time with me.

"Anyway, I have to tell you everything that's going on in school. There's this girl, Ella and she's just so horrible! Oh maybe we could go to a restaurant, or-."

"Wait one minute, honey," he says, taking out the ringing phone from his pocket. He puts it to his ear, and turns around to leave the room. "Hello? ... Oh hey, Tony! How's it going? ... Wait, what happened?"

I sigh, running up to my room. I crawl into my bed, covering myself with the thick blanket. I clutch the blanket with my fists out of anger and sadness.

None of this is fair. People always say that I'm lucky for being rich, and I should be thankful. But I'm not. At least they have parents who love them.

I take out my phone, dialing Asher's number. "We're sorry. This person is not-."

Ugh!

I try to call him again and again until he finally picks up. "Hello?" I croak.

"Hey, Meg. Something wrong?" I hear someone say.

It definitely wasn't Asher. I look at the caller ID. 'West☺'. I must've called him by mistake.

"West! Please, go to the park. Right now, please. I'll meet you there as soon as possible," I sob, hanging up immediately. I didn't need an answer, I trust he'll be there for me.

I hop out of bed, zipping up my coat. I run out the door, hoping nobody will catch me. "Meg, where are you going?"

I turn around apprehensively, only to see an unhappy look on Dads face. "Out. I'm going to see West."

"Didn't you want to tell me-."

"No! It doesn't matter anymore. I don't want to waste your time, anyway," I snap, running out of the house.

I hear him call my name, but I ignore it. The park is only a few minutes away, which is enough time for me to get there without West thinking I'm late.

I see his tall figure sitting on a wooden bench, his foot tapping with impatience. He jumps up right when he sees me running towards him. "Meg! Are you crying?"

I don't respond. I just hug him tightly. He replies by hugging me back, his hands wrapping my body. I feel his hot breath against my neck as he says, "you're making it harder for me not to like you."

I smile.

So adorable, don't you think?

What will happen with West and Megan? Will something happen?

Who was the Mom talking about, and why was she so afraid of seeing him?

Find out in... Chapter 18!