Chapter 21: A Secret Revealed

Chapter 21 A Secret Revealed

Megan Green

"YOU'RE LEAVING ALREADY?" I question, biting my lower lip.

Olivia nods, pursing her lips.

"First Kayla, now you? Olivia, you can't go! You said you weren't leaving until a month from now," I sob.

"I know, but it's a change of plans." She frowns. "You still have Rick and May."

May's our maid. Maid May. I know, pretty clever.

"And don't forget the other two chefs; Marlee and Aspen."

I let out a sigh. Her despairing attempts to cheer me up are useless. Nothing can make me happy right now, nothing.

Dad walks down the staircase, his shoes clacking against the stone floor. "Olivia? Did you tell her?"

I look at Dad awkwardly. We haven't talked to each other since the incident happened.

"Yes, Dad. She did." He stares at me blankly, trying to think of what to say. "Excuse me." I run upstairs, forcing myself not to look back.

Oh, shoot. I forgot my bag.

Walking back downstairs, I overhear Dad and Olivia talking. I lean against the wall, hoping my body is hidden well enough and my breathing isn't too audible.

"When are you going to tell her?" Olivia hisses. "I won't be here anymore to back you up."

"I will tell her. Just not now, not yet. She's not ready." I can imagine Dad shaking his head disapprovingly.

"Or is it you who's not ready?" she snaps. "Tell me, Xander. What do you really think?"

It's amazing how she can yell at Dad just like that without worrying about getting fired.

Dad's gulp is audible even from here. "I just don't want her to get hurt."

"She's going to get hurt even more if you don't tell her sooner. You've been hiding this secret for sixteen years! When are you going to tell her that she's adopted?!"

I gasp, my jaw hitting the ground. The words struck me like lightning.

Adopted. I'm adopted.

My whole life is a lie. I'm not truly a Green. My Dad's not really my Dad. My Mom never died. She was never my mom all along.

Tears stroll down my face one by one as I feel the blood rush throughout my body. "I'm adopted?"

Dad and Olivia stare at me, their faces looking as if they just died. I sob, "Dad! Tell me she's lying! Please, Dad!"

His Adam's apple bobs and his eyes become red and moist. "Megan, I wanted to tell you sooner, but I... I love you. You're my daughter."

"No, Dad. I'm not." I wipe away my tears, but they keep on coming. "How could you lie to me all these years?"

I shake my head. Grabbing my bag, I leave the house. Again.

"Megan, please don't leave! Not again."

The wind blows my hair back, drying my tears away. Not knowing where I go, I run.

-

He swings the door open, his hair all scraggly and improper. He still wears his striped pajamas, though he's as cute as usual.

"Can I stay here for a while?" I ask.

He nods, grabbing my hand and leading me to his couch. I sit down, remembering his living room again. I pat the couch, trying to remember the feeling of being here.

I forgot how it felt to be a kid, when my only problem was which crayon to use.

"I haven't been here in so long," I finally say.

He smiles, "yeah. You and Ash used to come here all the time." His smile fades away. "What happened?"

"I got rich," I giggle, remembering how we would always go to my house/mansion. "Everything has changed."

Suddenly Taylor Swift pops up into my head. Great now I have a song stuck in my head. Can this day get any worse?

"Not everything," he says. "My feelings never did." He softly touches my chin, leaning towards me. His smooth lips silence me. For a moment, I actually felt like there were no problems in the world.

He pulls away and smirks, "It's hard to kiss you when you're crying, you know. Now tell me what's going on."

"West," I sigh.

You can do this, Meg. It's just West.

"I'm... adopted. Dad just told me today."

His cocoa brown eyes widen at me. "A-Adopted? How?"

I shrug, "I'm not sure."

"Meg, you should go back home, and find out what's going on. He has all your answers."

"Are you kidding me? I'm never going back there again!" I shout. "Not for as long as I live."

Long live, the walls we crashed through. How the kingdom- Yep, just great, another song stuck in my head! Thanks a lot, Tay.

He looks at me with those sincere eyes. Ugh. "I know it looks bad now, but it'll be okay. He probably didn't tell you because he loves you, and he doesn't want to see you hurt."

"Are you seriously going on his side right now? You've got to be kidding me!" I stand up, swinging my arms in the air out of complete furiousness.

"Meg, please calm down."

"No, you're just like him!" I yell. "You're my boyfriend, and you're supposed to agree with me!"

"I know but-"

"You're the worst boyfriend ever in history of boyfriends!"

Great, now I even sound like Taylor Swift! What is wrong with me today?!

"How am I the worst? I already betrayed my best friend for you!" He throws his hand over his head. He only does that when he's angry.

"Forget it," I say. "I'm going back home, but not because you told me to."

He covers his face with his hands, which I so want to hold right now. I leave his house as I see Rick drive down the street.

"Meg, there you are!" he shouts. "We've been looking for you!"

I go inside the car, expecting to see Dad. He's not there.

"Where is he?" I ask.

He replies, "dropping off Olivia at the airport."

Great, he left me alone at one of the worst times of my life. He turns on the radio, which is his way of calming me down.

Ugh, I swear if Taylor Swift starts-

We-ee are never, ever ever

"CHANGE THE STINKIN' RADIO STATION!" I shout.

-

"Say Something" - Christina Aguliera & the Great Big World

If you think that was sad, wait until the next few chapters!

I am planning on ending Broken on chapter 26, but don't worry! There will be a sequel!

See you soon guys!

(Hope you're not crying)

As of 3/15/14, the cover has now changed.

THE ELITE (Selection #2) REFERENCE IN HERE!