Chapter 18: Sparks Fly

Chapter 18 ❤️ Sparks Fly

Megan Green

WE STROLL DOWN THE PARK, our hands clasped together. Are we together? Nope.

But I really need someone to comfort me right now, and the warmth of his hands is more than enough for me.

"Can you tell me what's going on now?" he asks, gripping my hand tighter.

I reply, "it's my Dad. He's just, neglecting me. I don't know why but, it's bringing me a lot of pain right now."

"Oh come on, he's not neglecting you. He's probably just busy with his company."

"Whatever," I say. "I didn't come here to complain, West. I came to have fun, do something for once."

"Alright, then. Follow me," he says, pulling me to his car. I hop in, buckling my seatbelt.

"Where are we going?" I question excitedly. He starts the engine.

He responds, "wherever the wind takes us."

We arrive at a familiar place called 'Fun Land'. I remember that we used to go there every month or two to play laser tag. It would always be the girls verses the boys. It was amazing.

"Why are we here again?" I question, slamming the car door close.

He laughs, "you said you wanted to have 'fun'."

I roll my eyes. We enter the building, a million kids scattered all over the place. I laugh at how ridiculous I was back then.

"Hello, how many children?" the lady at the counter asks.

"Oh, it's just him and I. Two adults," I say, quite embarrassed.

I find it quite offensive that she greeted us with a question about kids. I mean, how rude is that?!

"Oh, I apologize for asking then," she says, a smile forming on the corner of her mouth.

Ugh.

"So," she continues. "Wristbands or tattoos?"

* * *

"God, I just wanted to slap that smirk right off that a-hole!" West shouts.

Parents give us disapproving looks. I pinch his ear like his Mom used to do every time I came over. "Children are here!"

"Exactly why I used an abbreviation. It's not like they'll be able to comprehend what I'm talking about, anyway," he says as he accidentally steps on a kids foot. "Sorry, kiddo."

He replies by saying some colorful words I do not want to repeat. West just opens his mouth in shock as the little twerp grabs this girls hand and says, "Let's go babe."

"Did... Did that just happen?" I ask, my jaw still on the ground.

He just shakes his head. "Kids these days. They all have girlfriends, phones, while when I was they're age, all I had was a crayon box. And they were broken, too."

I smirk, "And that's all you'll ever have."

We walk ourselves into this tight room filled with two clothing racks; one with green equipment, and the other with blue. I take a blue while West takes a green.

"What are you doing? We can't be competing," I say, buckling the thick vest onto me.

He chuckles, "and why not? Are you scared, chicken?"

"Oh, you did not just say that! You're on, spaghetti arms!" I laugh, grabbing a gun.

The counter lady (aka old hag) opens a silver metal door, leading us to a dark place with neon lights at every corner. I walk in, and immediately bump into one of the walls. Dang it, I hiss to myself.