Chapter 10: Dress to Impress

Chapter 10 Dress to Impress

Megan Green

"COOKIES, ANYONE?" AVA'S mom smiles while holding a plate of freshly-baked sugar cookies.

I recall that she volunteered to work at the church, so that's why I recognize her voice. The person who stood behind her was what astonishes me. She wore a long ponytail and dirty converse.

"Jules! You came!" Ava exclaims, hugging her tightly.

Jules laughs, "wow, Ava! Did you drink a bottle of sunshine or somethin'?"

Since when was Jules in the dance committee?

"I know right! She's been all happy for no reason!" Skylar adds.

Maxine giggles, "yep, ever since Megan stood up to Ella. It really shocked me, though. Out of all people, Meg was the one who stood up to that devil!"

I snap, "what's that supposed to mean?"

"Everyone knows you're not the toughest girl, Megan," Kay teases.

"Alright, that's enough about me!" I giggle. "Anyway, am I the only one who's completely lost about Jules being here?"

"Ava invited me," she replies.

Suddenly, a flashback appears in my mind. I remember Ella screaming at Ava for doing something she didn't want. I remember her saying how she hates 'that new girl'. It was Jules.

* * *

"Ugh, guys!" Jo groans. "We're never going to get this whole thing done if we keep fooling around like this!"

Claire responds, handing her a cookie, "lighten up a bit!"

She swipes the delicious dessert from her hands, and eats the entire thing with one swallow.

Ava frowns, "but seriously guys. We gotta finish this! We don't even have a theme yet!"

Skylar suggests, "how 'bout an underwater theme?"

"Did that last year," she moans.

"Glow in the dark?" Claire recommends. Ava shakes her head.

Maxine proposes, "Wild west? 80's, 70's? Neon?"

"No, no, no, no, and no! Those are all simple and overused. We need something," she pauses. "spectacular!"

I realize that she wasn't joking. We do need something spectacular. Although this is just a Valentine's Day dance, we need something that will shock everyone. Something that'll make Ella regret ever pulling my hair.

"How about a masquerade?" Jules suggests.

"No, that's too- Actually, that's not bad! That's perfect!" Ava exclaims. "We could all have masks, and we'll wear pretty dresses and-"

Jo interrupts, "chill, Ava!"

She takes a deep breath, "but it's just so perfectly perfect!"

That was no lie. A masquerade ball does sound perfectly perfect, no matter how absurd that sounds. A part of me wishes that I thought of that. I can already imagine Jules getting all the praise and admiration at that dance. Everyone just loving her.

* * *

-♡-

Juliet Rose

"Oh my God! I can't believe we got the theme for the dance already!" Meg smiles.

"Seriously? What is it?" West exclaims. Right before Meg could respond, he gives us a flat look, "Because I couldn't care less."

"You're such a pessimist, West," I roll my eyes.