Chapter 27: Wake Up

PART II OF BROKEN

Chapter 27 Wake Up

Megan Green

JULIET ARABELLA ROSE HAD died eight days after her car incident.

Nah, I'm totally kidding.

Right after that car hit her unconscious, Dad sent her straight to the hospital. The doctors said she would be put into a coma for only a while, and yet it's been over a week since I've last seen her brown eyes. Dad and Avery (my mom) are continuously visiting her at the hospital while also neglecting their other daughter's existence. Of course they don't spend all their time at the hospital, but most of their lives right now is devoted to saving Jules, rather than actually bonding with me. She isn't even awake right now, but she still somehow gains all the attention of my loved ones.

The school allowed my week-long absences due to the fact that this is a family emergency. But now that I think of it, this is far from a family emergency. We aren't even a family to begin with! We've never spoke to one another without using our words of hatred and anger, and Dad doesn't even speak to Avery unless it's about Jules' state, while the last time I've talked to my only sister was in a huge argument of ours. Our family's breaking apart, and everyone knows it.

I'm broken, and I can't do one dang thing about it.

Ricky bursts into my room, his chest pumping as if he's just ran a mile. Pfft, like that's ever going to happen. He says two words to me before running back downstairs.

Something's happening.

My eyes widen in shock and fear. I'm not sure what to feel about this situation, all I know is that I'm unable to handle all the guilt I owe her. But at the same time, I envy at how she can so easily gain everything I want. She even has the attention from Dad, something I've always desired. Needed, actually.

Running down the two-way staircase and to the driveway was a breeze for me, but not so much Ricky. He's never been the athletic type and has arms that can easily be mistaken as sticks, but I have to say he has some mad driver skills. On the way to the hospital, he drives sixty miles per hour, speeding down the highway and ignoring the honking drivers. Each time he had to stop, it felt like a stab to the heart. I was anxious to get to the hospital, and see what my future awaits. I hate to say it, but she's still my sister.

My broken sister.

* * *

I arrive to the room 155, where I find the wooden door open. I take a deep breath before I twist the golden knob, only to be interrupted by a short nurse closing the door shut and locking it. Confused, I turn my back around and see Avery and Dad apprehensively shaking their legs while trying to keep still in their plastic chair. As I scan the room, I see one last boy cradling himself in the corner, his arms shaking violently and shielding his face. He's been the same like that every time he's came here, but he only seems to get worse each visit.

"A-Asher, are you okay?" I croak, unable to see him in such pain. It was kind of stupid for me to ask such a dumb question that is only used in the most awkward and uncomfortable situations. I might as well have just said, 'Hey, so I know you have a dying girlfriend and all that cool stuff, but I was wondering if you were still doing fine. You know, even with the dying girlfriend and failing relationships.'

He slowly lifts his head up with his bright blue eyes meeting mine. But this time they weren't as bright as usual. Instead they're red in the corners and a darker shade of blue. He has black circles around his eyes, as if he's not getting enough sleep lately. It's expected though, since whenever he had free time on his hands, he would use it on visiting Jules and just waiting for her to wake up. Even if it means sleeping over at the hospital. It's only been a week without her, but I understand how he doesn't ever want to let her go. Not again, at least.

He sighs, "I don't know, Meg. I'm dying here, okay? It's too painful seeing her like this. I can't handle it, I can't!"

A ball forms in my throat, mainly because I truly do want to help him but there's really nothing for me to do. The best thing for me to do would be to at least mourn for her or silently apologize. I truly do feel guilty, and I really should be the one crying rather than the guy who only met her for a few months. You can say that I'm horrible and I don't deserve anything from my luxurious life, but I don't feel sorrow for Jules. I feel sorrow for me. Selfish, I know, but that's just how I feel.

I lightly pat him on his shoulder, trying my best to comfort him in the least-awkward way possible. "Ash, it's gonna be alright. Jules will be fine, everything's going to be okay."

He nods, sniffling his nose and pursing his thick lips. I can feel that he wants to deny everything I say, and just start lashing out on me, telling me she's not okay. But he's weak. He's broken.

The nurse bursts the door open, startling all of us. "She's awake," she smiles. All our eyes widen at those two words, and we quickly shoot up from our seats and run towards the door. At first we're all shocked to see her fully awake, but then we move our frozen bodies and hug her. Well, they hug her.

"Welcome back, Jules." I'm able to make out a small grin before backing away from the crowd forming around her.

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

Hey everyone, thanks so much for reading this chapter! I hope you enjoyed it! (: I worked really hard on this one. Unfortunately this chapter wasn't as funny as the others, because ha-ha a girls dying. So no, I'll stick with drama on this one.

I truly do apologize for the late post. I know I usually update Broken every few days or so, but if you've read the previous Authors Note then you would know I've been really busy. I'm also writing a new story that would be awesome if you checked it out, it's called "Life on the Wild Side".

I remember on the previous chapter I wrote that there would be a sequel called 'Switched', but I realized a sequel is not needed. So I will continue my chapters on the same book instead of creating a whole new one.

ALSO THANK YOU FOR SEVEN THOUSAND VIEWS AND OVER 200 FOLLOWERS!!! ASDJKLDOTY THANKS SO MUCH GUYS!! :D