Chapter 28: She's gone

*IMPORTANT AUTHOR'S NOTE AT THE BOTTOM! PLEASE TAKE THE TIME TO READ!*

Chapter 28: She's gone

Megan Green

Before I even fully turn around, Asher zooms past me, completely tear-streaked, and slams his head against the wall. Almost instantly, I grip my hand on his shoulder and look him straight into the eye. I ask, "Asher, what happened in there?"

"She's gone."

"No, no. She can't be. Sh-She can't!" I pull my hand over my mouth, shaking my head. We have utter eye contact until I move my sight to the door, debating whether or not I should go in. I was too much of a coward to even move. "How could she be dead . . ."

"What?" Asher gave me a questioning look, his eyes still red and moist. "Jules isn't- She's not . . . She's not dead."

At that moment, I was so close to strangling him. I slapped his shoulder hard, screaming, "WHAT? YOU JUST TOLD ME SHE WAS GONE, YOU FOOL!"

He shook his head as his eyes began to water. "I was the first one she saw. I went to hug her and she . . . she asked me who I was."

It wasn't long until his words struck me like a baseball bat, and I understood what he meant. He dashed past me before I could try to comfort him. Nevermind him. I turned around and ran into the room. Avery, or apparently my mom, was rubbing her forehead with her hands as Dad gave me a sympathetic look.

"I know," I said quietly, already knowing what Dad was going to say. Slowly, I approached Jules, who looked nothing more than the lost girl in the Wizard of Oz. "D-Do you remember me?"

She shook her head no. Although I have yet to consider her my 'sister', it still slightly hurt to know that she didn't even recognize me.

"Sorry, but can you please tell me what has happened to me? As the only patient here, I'd like to know."

"It seems to me," the doctor spoke, whom I didn't even realize was in the room, "that Juliet only recalls everything before Ms. Rose and her moved. You did move, correct?" Avery nodded. "As I was saying, I'm afraid to say that Juliet has amnesia." At that moment everyone had a grim look on their face. "Although, you should still be grateful that she was able to wake up. Her coma could've lasted as long as a month.

"Her injuries are still severe, so I suggest you let her stay a couple more days before she attends school again. She'll also have to use a wheelchair from now on and please, try to make sure no distress encounters her. If you would like, I know a few people who could give Jules therapy lessons to regain her memory back." The doctor continued on, discussing more about her injured state.

I can't help but make awkward eye contact with her at moments. It's strange how the person you thought was destroying your life is now going to be a part of your life. Although, it's even stranger that that person doesn't even know what her part is.

After quite a long ramble, the doctor left the room to try and let us talk to her more, maybe even get her to remember a few things. Dad and Avery continued talking to Jules, not mentioning what had happened in the past few days. She still looked perplexed and lost throughout their whole conversation. I, though, simply sit off to the side, trying to digest all the things that happened to me. I had thought that it would take much more longer than a few days to completely screw up my life, but then again I should've known long before that it was already screwed.

Dad and Avery soon left to get Jules' food from the cafeteria, even though it would only take one person to carry a tray for one. I gave Dad a glare as he exited the room, which essentially meant that Jules wouldn't be the only one sleeping in the hospital tonight if he dared leave me alone with her. He then gave me a glare, which essentially meant talk to the girl you just found out a week ago was your sister. I huffed, pulling my chair closer to Jules' bed.

"Hey," I say. She smiles in response, quite forced if you ask me. "Listen, I . . . I think it'd be best if you stayed away from me."

She stares at me, her mouth ajar and trying to finds words to say. I continue, "I know I might come off as a jerk, especially since you don't even remember me, but we weren't exactly on great terms. You've done a lot that hurt me, and honestly, I didn't respond in the lightest way. I'm sure Dad told you we're sisters, and for me that's not something I can take so easily. When we get back to the mansion, resist yourself from trying to be friendly with me. I'm sorry for your injuries and all, but-"

She interrupts, "Are you really going to hold a grudge against me, especially in the condition I'm in? I don't even know a single thing about you, and yet you're attacking me as if I know everything you're talking about. Please, don't start a fight with me because I won't even know what I'm fighting for."

That's when I get mad. "Don't you dare act all innocent on me. You did what you did, and you can't take it back no matter what." She may not remember exactly how our 'friendship' went, but that doesn't mean I'm going to just forget everything that happened. "This is hard on me, don't you realize that?"

"It's hard on me, too! I didn't even recognize half the people staring over me when I woke up." She started to simmer down a bit, breathing deeply. "I don't know what I've done to you, but whatever it was, I'm truly sorry. It must've been horrible considering how you're acting. Maybe if you just let it go, we can start over, and I promise I'll be the best sis-"

"Don't call me your sister." Suddenly all the guilt and pain I was feeling over her vanished. How could I have thought this grudge for her would just go away? How could I have been stupid enough to believe she was my sister? I started hearing voices from the hallway and stated quickly, "Just leave me alone."

><><><>><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

Sorry for the shortness of this chapter, but I really wanted to update as soon as possible!

In case you haven't noticed, I've decided to delete the last chapter and take a new twist to the story. In all honesty, I really didn't know where I was going with this book and had thoughts about deleting it. Fortunately, a new idea popped into my head and I now know which direction this book is heading. I'd also like to apologize for not updating in a very long time. I've just been on a bad writer's block and I never had the motivation to write a new chapter.

Also, thank you so much for over 19k views on this book! Who would've known I could ever reach that far? On my last chapter, I stated that I've reached 7k views, and to see how that progressed to 19k is simply amazing. I remember just last year I was starting this book, thinking no one would read it, and here I am with 19k views! I've also gotten up to 500 followers, which to me is a VERY big deal! It took me several months to accomplish that goal, but I've done it anyway, thanks to the probably 5 people reading this!

Last but not least, please, please take a look at my other book, Scripted! This one is a new book that is far more planned than Broken, and is a completely original idea. I've worked very hard on sorting out the plot and I feel the writing has much more high quality than Broken. It would mean a lot if I could gain 19k views with that book, too, so please give it a chance.

Until next time!