Chapter 3: Who's 'we'?

Chapter 3 ♡ Who's We?

Juliet Rose

AS I WALK DOWN THE UNKNOWN hallway, the same girl approaches me again, except now she has dirt marks plastered all over her outfit. I point at her clothes, about to ask her what happened when she interrupts me. "Don't ask." I nod, looking away from the morbid stains.

"So, I didn't get your name," she says, changing the topic.

"Juliet Rose," I smile.

"Well then Jules, I'm Meg," she replies.

"So Meg-"

"Only my friends call me that," she snaps.

Huh.

Just as I thought making friends would be so easy.

"I guess you're my friend now," she says.

A smile curves up my lip, "I've gotta go find my locker. See you at lunch?"

"Sure. Red table, center of the room. We'll see you there."

We?

* * *

The bell rings, signaling the time to eat. Favorite time of the day. I walk over to my faded blue locker, and enter in my combination. It's not working. Why isn't it working? I try again, more cautious this time. I grit my teeth as I pound my fist into the locker.

Ow, ow, ow! You win this time, punk, I mentally spit at the inanimate locker.

"Need help there?" A deep voice offers.

I spin myself around, and see a tall, handsome dirty blonde. His small muscles flex as he brushes his hair from his face. The teal button-up he wears compliments his electric blue eyes that remind me of the ocean connecting with the light blue sky. I examine him for a second, tilting my head like a puppy.

"I suggest this," He enters a different combination, and opens the locker.

"How did you-" I suddenly realize that my once girly locker with teddy bear magnets has now been replaced with football posters and crumpled up notes.

"This," he directs his hand to the locker. "is my locker." I blush cherry red.

Oops.

Play cool, play cool.

I reply cooly, "Sorry, food. I mean dude." Can I get any more embarrassing? Suddenly, I feel queasy in the stomach.

Shoot.

Please don't say my stomach just growled. Please, please. The guy looks at me, scratching his head and pretending to not have heard anything.

Dear universe, when I asked if I could get anymore embarrassing, that was a rhetorical question!

"Rawwr, rawwaar," I growl, trying to cover up my stomach growls. He lifts an eyebrow, evidently confused. "Heh, go tigers! School's team, right?"

He smiles. "Wow, you're new here and you already know our school team!"

I was . . Right? Thanks, universe!

"Duh, I've seen 'Go Tigers' signs everywhere!" I lie, feeling like my lungs had stopped working. "So I expect you play soccer?" I glance at a poster on the wall, and realize the Tigers is a football team. "Football, I mean?"

"I used to, but then I realized I want to keep the bones in my body working," he chuckles. "How 'bout you, you like football?"

"Course I do! I love watching the Mets." He begins to laugh. "Or Nets, whatever it's called."

He laughs, "You're funny."

"I should go to my locker now," I say, hiding my rosy cheeks. Unexpectedly, I trip and fall on top of him. My hands rest on his chest, and neither of us speak. I realize his eyes are deep crystal blue, somewhat like the ocean.

Without notice, I see some other girl arrive. I quickly put my hands back into my pockets. Meg follows up, and wraps her arms around him, carrying a smile on her face.

"Hey Ash! I see you've met Jules. She's awesome, you'll love her." She points to the cafeteria. "Let's go to lunch?"

I nod as she leaves her arm on his.

So that's what she meant when she said 'we', I think silently.

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Ooh, looks like someone's getting jealous.

And does Jules have a... Crush?

Find out in Chapter 4: Mash