The Bet and the Dare; part 32

Kal

I'd slept all Thursday away, I was shocked to find when I woke up Saturday morning at eight. Seeing Laurence again had so exhausted me emotionally, it had effected me physically as well. And I think I just needed the sleep to sort things out, to work more at forcing Laurence from my very being. Because I had managed to force him to the back of my mind, to not really think of him. But even years later he'd been very much a part of me, of who I was. He had helped shape me and I hated it.

But telling Grey- showing him the scars, both literal and metaphorical- had been a turning point for me. Something had changed. I didn't know exactly what, but I didn't feel so tied down. My shoulders felt lighter. I didn't feel like I was going to throw up. All definite pluses. Still, I felt rather apprehensive about seeing Grey this morning. He'd been completely open with me before about his addiction so I supposed it was my turn, but I was still embarrassed. I had shown myself to be weak and, while I was sure he wouldn't suddenly turn me away for it, I felt as if he wouldn't like me as much because of it.

Stop! I told myself. Stop right there. Greyson wasn't Laurence. He wouldn't suddenly hate me because I wasn't as strong deep down as I appeared on the surface. He wasn't looking for some sign of weakness to be disgusted with, just so he could show exactly how disgusted he was. Greyson wasn't exactly the most openly caring person in the world, but he had yet to give me reason to doubt he cared at least a little. Perhaps a lot. Probably a lot. In Starbucks two days before he'd said he cared. I was amazed, just two days before... it seemed like so much longer than that.

"Ahh, I see you're awake," Greyson cooed from the doorway. I looked over and smiled vaguely then stretched out like a cat on the bed. Grey held a tray with fresh fruit, chocolate croissants, and mimosas. I'd have said it was too early in the day to start drinking, but it was juts one of those damn mornings.

"I see you've brought food," I smiled. "And alcohol. Definite kudos for you." Grey flashed me a grin, but his face became somewhat more serious as he settled down on the bed next to me.

"Are you okay?" he asked in a gentle voice. I shrugged. I really wasn't sure.

"I don't know. I think I'm going to be. But I've never told anyone... you know-" Greyson nodded. He did indeed know. He'd known all along. Or, had known since he'd realized Laurence Van Winter was my ex-love. I hadn't found out until after I'd dated Laurence that he had been acquiring a reputation for beating his women for quite a while. I certainly hadn't been the first one. Though, at thirteen, I was naïve and probably would have dated him anyways, sure that I could be the one to change him.

"You're strong," Grey assured me. "An absolute fighter. You'll be okay." It was so hard for me to believe that just two weeks before we'd been dating on a bet, each of us trying to win. The pranks, the arguments, the revenge plots all seemed to childish and far away now. Everything had seemed so important just that short time ago. And now it simply didn't. Now just staying sane seemed like the most important thing.

"We have to go back to Vermont," I said in a quiet voice. "Like, today." Greyson nodded and handed me a piece of paper. A ticket back to Vermont for tonight at twelve. I studied it for a moment, unable to comprehend going back. All my friends would wonder where the hell I'd gone. And I had no answer. They would expect me to act the same. But I was entirely changed.

"You'll be coming too." I made it a statement, not a question. Greyson held up his own ticket.

"Of course. I would never leave you to do this on your own. I love you." I froze slightly at the word love. It made my heart beat quicken, and not form excitement, but fear. Yet, even as the word scared the living daylight out of me, it was comforting as well. Somehow it seemed Greyson's love would help me through. Even if I couldn't really love him back. All the love I'd possessed had been ripped to shreds. I didn't have anything left to give.

Greyson

After Kalshan ate and took a shower, we went to Promises to see Anabelle one last time. She was looking better. No longer did her eyes have bruises under them and her shaking had ceased. Weight had been added to her bones from proper eating and the ability to keep it down and the sun had added a warm honey tone to her skin just in the last few days. Anabelle was starting to look like my sister again.

When she saw us, Belle bounded forward on long, thin legs and threw herself into our arms. Kalshan hugged her back, as did I. The nurses passing us in the hall smiled at the small reunion. It may have only been days, but it was amazing how days could feel like months.

"I'm so glad you came," she gushed. "Come on, you have to come see my project." Anabelle grabbed our hands and dragged us to another room like an excited child. The room contained various art projects in different stages of completion. At the far war, Anabelle stopped. It was an oil painting. Belle had always loved painting, and she had a natural gift for it. This painting was of Kal and me, smiling at one another. Kalshan's hand was in my own, and the look in our eyes exactly mirrored my own feelings.

"It's gorgeous, Belle," I praised her. She flushed slightly with pleasure.

"It really is amazing," Kalshan told her. "You have a lot of talent," Kalshan only seemed to be half there. I wondered where her mind really was. Anabelle seemed to notice, because her brows creased in a confused frown.

"What's wrong, Kal?" she asked. Kalshan sighed and took Anabelle's hand.

"Let's go sit in the garden and have some tea and I'll explain it to you," Kal suggested. Belle nodded, and we all proceeded to the garden.

Early the next morning Kalshan and I arrived in Vermont. As we gathered our bags she was entirely silent, her lips rather pale and drawn.

"We should get Kari," she said as I started the car. I was shocked by the sound of her voice. I hadn't heard it in so many hours.

"Of course. She'll be at Caroline's." Kal nodded and I started driving. Outside the air was the same as it was every morning. The sun was still rising. Much as I found I had changed in the last few days, in reality, nothing had. Seasons would still come and go. Weekends still anticipated, Mondays dreaded. People would still go on loving and loathing. Dying and being born. It was almost hard to believe, altered as I felt.

Finally, we reached Caroline's house and were back in our little, sleepy town. Kalshan got out and rushed to the door, as fast as she could. Almost as soon as she'd rung the doorbell, Kariana was there, throwing herself into her sister's arms. Kalshan caught her and swing the smaller, darker girl in a circle. Caroline showed up in the door and said something. Kalshan answered and the two young women hugged. Kalshan walked with Kari back to my truck, which still had Kariana's booster-seat in it.

"Ready to go home, kiddo?" I asked Kari. She nodded enthusiastically.

"I'm glad you and Kal are home," she said. I missed you." I smiled and reached out tog gently touch her cheek.

"We missed you as well." Kalshan smiled slightly at seeing the small exchange. We drove back to the house, Kariana chattering happily in the backseat the entire way. Just as we reached their street, I saw the cars, all with flashing lights. But most prominent in the scene, was the black body bag, being rolled out on a stretcher.

_________________________________________________________________________

This chapter is kind of slow, but in the next one, it gets faster. Then it's just this whole whirlwind until, finally, it will be done. Give me a month or so. I know I said that a month ago, but this time I swear it's true! Hope you all like it! xoxo~Ash