Chapter 2

Picture of Daniel Thompson!!

(Daniel's POV)

"Alright boys we have to make it through Rally point two, and then we're in the clear to make it to home base. Keeps you eyes open and watch your six." Lieutenant Arnold said.

At the moment we are in a small village about six cliques away from rally point two.  The village that we have been communicating with, have been very kind in welcoming us and we've learned a lot from them.

"Get yourself together Thompson, we leave at fifteen hundred hours."

I walk over to the kids I was playing with a few moments ago and tell them bye. I knelt down in front of them and look them in the eye.

"Alright, now you remember what I told you if someone who isn't from your village starts shooting, right?"

They all nod.

"You said for all of us to hide in the houses and to not come out unless one of you come and get us."

"Right." I say.

I ruffle their hair and tell them bye one last time before joining my men. I can tell that this is gonna be a long journey home.

****

I hear shots fire and that's when I look at undo to see who's shooting. I see my buddy Brigs start shooting at a truck armed with explosives.

I aim my gun and start shooting with Brigs while trying to duck for cover behind an old car that had previously been blown up.

"Cover me Thompson!" Brigs yells at me.

I prop my gun so that its resting on the hood of my car and start shooting like crazy at the armed truck.

I see Brigs start shooting. When he stands up all the way and starts moving for the truck, I see a man aim gun at him and shoot.

"Brigs!" I scream. I look at the young 18 year old kid next to me and say, "cover me, and whatever you do, don't stop shooting!"

I stand up and move my way to Brigs shooting every once in a while when a gun was aimed at me.

When I get to Brigs, I see him covered in blood and choking to get words out. I pick him up and throw him over my shoulder and start running.

When I get to the car in which we are taking cover at, I strive him of his vest and assess the damage. I see that he was shot in the left lung.

Brigs grabs my my wrist and chokes out a few words, "tell my family that I love them, and tell Edith that I tried to come home. I love you son-" he started choking on blood and then stopped. He closed his eyes and didn't open them again.

I tried to shake him awake but it was no good.

"Brigs! Wake up!" I scream, "God damn it!" I say and punch the car.

****

By the time we get to camp, the mail was coming in. I gathered around just like the other men. I was expecting a letter from my family.

"Thompson." The guy called out.

I walk up, grab my mail and then go to my bunk.

I set my gun at the foot of my bed and strip of my bullet proof vest, along with my coat. When I take off my boots I feel relief flood my feet. They're sore from being on my feet all day, but I shouldn't be complaining. Both men and women who serve feel their feet ache.

I sit down on my bed and open a letter to a name I don't recognize: Jane Smith.

Dear Daniel,

I know you must be wondering what on earth I'm doing writing you, so I though I'd explain. To start off with my name is Jane Smith. My English teacher thought that it would be a good idea to write soldiers who are deployed, so here I am, writing you.
To be honest, I like the idea. I know you must be super busy, but I thought I could ask you one question: how are you over there?

Sincerely,

Jane Smith

I wonder how old she must be. She said teacher so I am assuming that she is in school. I open my other letter and it's from my mom.

I miss her like crazy.

Dear Daniel,

I know your busy but, but as your mother, I though you could use a few encouraging words. To start off with, I am so proud of what you are doing. I want you to keep up the good work. However I want you to watch yourself carefully. Make sure you come home to your sisters and I. We love and miss you. The box that is attached has your favorite chocolate chip cookies. Your sisters made them. I'll let you get back to work, but be careful and tell Brigs thank you for keeping my baby safe.

Love,

Mom and Sisters

I looked up and sighed. How should I tell her that Brigs dies defending his country and will never see his wife or his kids. I need to get my mind off of it. I know that we'll hold a little service here for him, but it's not the same as him actually being here. All I know is that he was like the father I never had. He helped me pick myself back up when I was down.

I'll miss him. I need to do something. I picked up the letter from Jane and grab a pencil and paper.

Dear Jane,

Thank you for taking the time to write. As for my well being at the moment, not so great. You were write about writing being a good idea, and I'm glad you wrote me. I needed something to take my mind off things here for a while. I can guess you live in the U.S by your handwriting-which is beautiful, I'm just wondering where. I'm deployed in Iran at the moment, and would give anything to be home. I miss the food. Glad at the moment to write you though, and thank you for taking the time to write me. How are you doing at home?

Sincerely,

Daniel Thompson

With that I put my letter into an envelop, wrote down the address that was on the previous envelope, and took it to the mail room. I can write my family tomorrow, but at the moment I need to get ready for the service. All I know is that this is gonna be a long night ahead of me.

Double update! Way to go me!! Just kidding!

How are y'all doing on this snowy evening?

Hope you are loving this book so far, I know I am loving writing it!

Tell what y'all have on your mind! Please voice your opinions!

Please Comment, Vote, & Share!!

Lots of Love!