Chapter 5

Picture of Jane's bedroom!

(Jane's POV!)

I woke up to the sound of my phone blaring in my ear. I moan and start patting around on my night stand until I find it. I open my eyes and stare at my phone and read the time on it.

It's 5:30 in the morning..... Why does school have to start so early, I think to myself.

I get up and go hop in the shower. Once I step out, I dry myself off, twist my hair up with a towel, put my robe on and walk to my wardrobe/dresser. The person who created them were the smartest person known to man! I swear!

 I rummage through my closet portion of my wardrobe, and pull out my blue jean and lace dress that goes to mid thigh. I pull out a pair of my black shorts to go underneath it.

When I finish getting dressed, I walk into my bathroom and blow dry my hair. I would leave it wet, but it's suppose to be really humid, which means: no thank you frizzy hair! I curled my hair and shook it out so that it hand loosely around my shoulder, I do a light eye shadow and do a little wing eye liner.

By the time I get through getting ready, I look at y clock. School is suppose to start in 15 minuets. I brush my teeth and head downstairs. I walk into the kitchen and see it empty, so I toast a piece of bread, put my cowgirl boots on and head out the door with my stuff in tow.

****

As I am putting my stuff into my locker, I hear a girl call my name.

I look over my shoulder and see Samantha running over to me.

"Jane!" Sam yells.

"Yeah?" I ask her.

"You ready for English?"

"Yes, why wouldn't I be?" I say and smile at her.

She just shrugs and says, "good question. I'll let you know when I have the answer."

I throw my head back and laugh. Leave it to Sam to say that.

She links her arms with mine as we walk to class. The good thing about having the same classes with your best friend, is not only tag teaming to get homework done, but to actually hang out at the same time and have a blast while doing it!

I know, sounds weird to say, but it's true.

When we walk into our class, I notice that Mrs. Black is handing out envelopes. It's been two weeks since I last wrote Daniel. I hope he's okay.

I sit at my desk and notice that I have a letter. I pick it up and it says my name on the front. I can't help but get a little giddy from getting a letter from a soldier.

Before I get a chance to open it, the bell rings and Mrs. Black starts to talk.

"Alright class, now all of you have a letter on your desk. Before you tear in to the envelope, lets talk about Dear John letters. Does anyone know, how they got started?"

I raise my hand and wait to get called on.

"Jane?" Mrs. Black asks'.

"From the research that I have done, The Dear John letters started during World War Two, and while troops were stationed overseas for such a long time. For such a long time that, soon many women started a relationship with a new man, rather than the one that they were married to, or dating. To add to that, the letters would be affectionate. So as soon as a man got a letter with a 'Dear John' title they knew that it would be an affectionate letter." I say.

"Good Jane. Anyone else have something to add to that?" Mrs. Black asks'.

I look around and see that no one is raising their hand.

"Alright then, class take out your letters and you may write. But be mindful to do some research on the Dear John letters. There will be a quiz on it. You may begin."

I open the letter and smile when I see the familiar handwriting.

Dear Jane,

I should be the one thanking you for writing me again. I know that it's an assignment, but it still feels good to know that someone back home has the interest of knowing how we're doing. What I meant by us not doing so good meant, that we lost one the soldiers in our platoon. He was a crazy one, but he was the most loyal soldier that I have ever worked along side with.
So you live in my hometown. It's a bit shocking to know that. I still live in Austin to answer your question. I miss it. I keep wondering to myself though, what does the girl I'm writing look like? Wish I could see. It's pretty late here, so I'm gonna mail this off in the morning, before I have go out on duty. Take care of yourself.

Yours,

Daniel Thompson

I look up and and smile, yet again. He wants to know what I look like.

I raise my hand and Mrs, Black comes over to me.

"Yes, Jane?"

I give her the letter to read and ask her what I should do about it.

"Seems to me a soldier would like to know how pretty the girl he's writing really is."

"So would it be okay if I sent him  picture or something?" I ask.

"Of course. By the way, great job on answering the question earlier."

"Thank you." I say and start writing.

Dear Daniel,

I am a little shocked to find out that you live in Austin. As for you missing it, it's still the same as when you left, which brings me to a question: when did you deploy? I'm sorry about your friend. I can only imagine what you must be going through.
You should have a picture of what I look like. I hope that does it's justice. What does the soldier that I'm writing look like? Only god knows. Not to put you on the spot, but since we are getting to know each other, how old are you?
Well it's the end of my class, so please stay and come home safely!

Yours,

Jane Smith

And with that, the bell rung. I handed over my letter to my teacher so that she could mail it off. As I exited the doors I turned to look at Mrs. Black.

"Thank you." I say.

"For what dear?"

"For having us write soldiers who are going through a hard time."

She just smiled at me, "There is no need to thank me for that, Jane. Have a good day."

"You too." I reply with a smile.

The photo of Jane is the one she sent to Daniel!! And say hello to Sam! Jane's best friend!!

Hope y'all are loving this book!!

I love writing it!

Please tell me what you are thinking!!

I love your opinions! They are who make you, you!

Please Comment, Vote, & Share!!

Lot's of Love!!!!!