Chapter 7

(Jane's Kitchen!)

As soon as I woke up, I got excited. Why? Because today is another day of school, another day down till Daniel could possible come home!

I know, I am getting way ahead of myself, but I can't help but feel curious about him.

I head downstairs to my kitchen where I see my mom cooking bacon and eggs.... YUMMY! I walk around her and steal a piece of bacon. She smacks me on my butt just as soon as she sees me take it.

"What was that for?" I ask innocently.

"You know what that was for."

"True... Love you mommy." I say and kiss her on the cheek, and then head up stairs to get ready.

The sun is shining brightly so I already know that it's going to be a hot day. I pull out my silky tank top that is super light and will keep me cool all day and throw that on along with some shorts. Paired with my favorite gladiator sandles that are a beige color.

I loosely curled my hair and then threw it up in a high messy pony tail, and hardly did anything to my face, all that I did was put cover up under my eyes to hide the dark circles under them, a thin line of eye liner and some mascara.

I run downstairs and see that my mom is eating her breakfast in a hurry so I join her. By the time we finish it's 7:30 so we run out the door.

While I'm sitting in my truck I wonder about Daniel.... I hope he's okay. I want to meet him.

When I enter the schools front doors, I am greeted with Sam screaming my name down the hall... Why I'm friends with her, I don't think I will ever know, but I can tell you this.... She is one of the most loyal friends I have ever had in my life.

"Have you heard?" She asks' as she catches her breath in front of me.

"Heard what?" I ask a little puzzled.

"Daniel..." She trails off.

"Daniel what? Spit it out Sam!" I shout.

"Something bad happened to our soldiers."

"What?!" I ask more to myself than her.

I don't hear what she says next, and I bolt for my English class.

First period just started, but I don't care.

I run in the room an interrupt my teacher.

"What happened?" I demanded.

"What have you heard?" She asks' hesitantly.

"Something bad happened to my soldier, what happened?!"I shouted at her.

"Jane calm down, all I know is that he was out doing his job and an ambush happened. I'm sorry... That's all I know."

"Who's his LT?" I ask.

"I don't know the name, but I can give you the number. Oh and Jane...?"

I look up at her from the floor.

"What?" I ask.

"There's a letter for you." She says and hands me an envelope and a sticky note  with Daniel's LT's number, "Jane why don't you go home, hm? Take the day off.... Don't cry, Jane. Everything will be alright."

I swipe my cheek, and notice that it's covered in my tears.

"Sorry." I say and walk out with both the number and the envelope in my hands.

I see Sam standing next to my truck, and all I can do is fiddle with the piece of paper in my hands.

"Going home?" She asks'.

"Yeah, I need to. I need to get ahold of him... See if he's okay."

She hugs me and says, "he'll be okay, if he has you with him."

"What are you saying?" I ask.

"If you need to, you should go to the hospital where he's staying and see for yourself. But call first and let me know, alright?"

I nod my head, hop in my truck and drive home. When I get home, I enter my living room and take off my shoes and drop my bag in the single chair next to me, as I'm sitting down on the couch. I take the envelope and tear into it.

When I read it, I start to cry.

Dear Jane,

It's good to know that nothing has changed back home. I promise you that I will do everything I can to come home safely to you an our country. You are without a doubt the most beautiful young women that I have ever seen let alone are talking to.
I deployed in June 2015, so I have been here about 8 1/2 months. The weather is hot and dry. I can't wait until I can come home. To answer your question, I am 20 years old. How old is this gal that I am writing though? I have to get going, so I will talk to you later. You have a good day, and be sure to enjoy Texas for me.

Yours,

Daniel Thompson

He promised to come home safely.... I dial the number that my teacher gave to me and it starts to ring.

"Lieutenant Commander Mason Sherman speaking."

I stop and think about what I am going to say, and that's when I realize it's been a while cause he asks' if I am still there.

"Oh yes, sorry. I'm not a news reporter of any sort. I was wondering if you could tell me where a Daniel Thompson is?"

"You related?"

"No-"

"Are you in any sort of trouble?"

"No, but-"

"Then what in the sam hell are you doing calling in the middle of a war zone looking for one of my soldiers asking where he is at?"

"Okay, listen here. I got his Dear John letter, and my teacher said that some thing happened to him, so I am calling you to see where the guy from my town is because I am terrified that something bad has happened to him. No I am not related and no I am not in any trouble, but I want to know if he is okay,or if I can see him. Do you have any idea what it's taken me to call you? My teacher has to work her ass off to get this damn number! So what the hell is your problem that you are yelling at me, and who are you to talk to a citizen like that?!" I shout at him.

 "Who are you to talk to a commanding officer like that?"

"You aren't an officer, you are an LT, the two are very different.... Look, I am sorry for shouting, but I am eager, can't you tell?"

"I can, but I can't just give out information like that."

"Why not?"I ask.

"It's confidential information miss. I can only give it out to family members."

"Where does his family live?" I ask.

He gives me the number and address for a house here Austin. I get in my car and drive. I can't think about anything other than Daniel. What has happened to my Daniel?

Hey y'all so this was a LATE night update. I am talking 2 in the morning but that's okay.

Hope you all enjoyed.

Sorry for not updating in such a long time. I had writers block.

Tell me what y'all think.

Please Comment, Vote, & Share!!

Goodnight Everybody!!

Lot's Of Love!!