Early Morning Shock

Chapter 18

It’s been a day since I talked to Jake. A day and my nerves are getting worse and worse. I can’t sleep I can’t eat and I am struggling to make even the most simple conversation. That’s why I’m out walking the streets at 6am trying to ease my mind some and wear myself out for sleep.

As I round the corner of my street a familiar head of curly honey coloured hair catches my attention as she seems to slowly be making her way home lost in her own thoughts.

“Kate” I yell as she gets closer to me. Her head whips up big brown eyes wide like she just got caught with her hand in the cookie jar. “What you doing out this early” I ask. “W..W…What are you doing out this early” she squeaks back at me.

On its on accord my head tilts to the side and I study her closely. Her clothes are wrinkled, her make up slightly smudged and by the looks of it classic Kat bed hair trying to be tamed in a simple pony tail. She squirms under my scrutiny of her.

I raise an eyebrow at her “Spill now sister” I say in a stern voice.

Her eyes dart around and she chews on her bottom lip. I can only make out a mumble as her answer. “Release the lip and spill” I say again.

Lowering her eyes to the ground and in a low voice she says “I went to talk to Jake.” “You went to talk to Jake in the early hours of the morning?” some how I find it a tad bit strange.

“No I went to talk to him yesterday afternoon………. I may have mmmhmm” she mumbles off. “What did you do Kat?” I ask quietly laying my hand on her arm. “He opened the door and before he could even speak I jumped him!” she exclaims “He looked so sexy and grown up and I don’t know what came over me and well” she sucks in a huge breath then breaths out “and we mated.”

I’m shocked truly shocked. “And I thought I was bad when it came to the twins you little hussy you” I tease trying to lighten the mood. She cracks a smile “At least we talked after it, that’s more than you can say after your kinky car session with Ryan and Ryder” she quips back.

I laugh because it’s true. “You want to talk about it?” I ask knowing that she will say no. Kate always likes to think things through on her own like me before she talks about them. Giving her head a little shake, I nod and let it drop.

“So is this like your ultimate walk of shame or something?” I say smiling. “Ha ha April your hilarious but no I promised mum I would do yoga with her this morning and you know what she is like if I back out. Their will be hell to pay.” I let out a little laugh at her strange family.

“I’m taking it your still stewing over the twins pending return and can’t sleep?” she say knowingly. “How much sleep did you have before you “talked” to Jake?” I respond. We nod at each other, we both know the answer.

“Oh April before I forget Jake, you and me are going out for dinner tonight to celebrate his return and I guess out mating” she trails off at the end. It’s weird hearing someone refer to a relationship as a mating and that’s my mate instead of my boyfriend, my lover or my partner.

“Don’t you want some time with Jake alone to catch up? We can hang out another time.” I say. “Oh no no no no I want you their you know as a buffer in case we run out of conversation and need you to fill in the awkward silences” she laughs as she says this. Shaking my head at her early morning antics I start to head home again and call over my shoulder “What time?” “7.30 we will pick you up” Kat calls back too me.

Time to head home and pray for some sleep before my catch up tonight with my newly mated besties.

7.25 Jake comes to pick me up with out Kat saying she had to help her mum with something and was getting dropped off at the restaurant we were going too. We make easy conversation in the car. It truly feels like old times. The one subject that I avoid is his brothers. My nerves about the two of them are eating me up, talking about them now would be impossible

We arrive at a cute little restaurant called “Blue Lake” I have never been here before and assume its new. In side it is very romantic and I feel weird standing next to Jake in these surroundings. It is way to intimate for our friends status and him being with my other best friend but he doesn’t seem bothered at all. In fact if he looked any more relaxed then I think he would start dozing off.

The waitress leads us to a very quiet and private booth. It’s U shaped and faces a large window that is impossible to see out of because it is night out.

I slide in and wait for Jake to do the same but he remains standing. “I just got to aarrh pee April, I’ll be back in a minute.” He says before he dashes off without a word from me.

I look around while I wait. Fairy lights cover the roof, with no other lights but them to give the room light and create the cosy romantic atmosphere. A large open fire place stands unlit, in the winter it would be breathtaking here. This whole place has a charm about it that I have already fallen in love with and if the food is up to par will be returning.

Minutes tick by and still Jake hasn’t returned. The waitress approaches me with a look on her face I don’t like and hands me a napkin. I unfold it and recognise Jake male hand writing.

“April”’

I’m so sorry but I had to leave immediately, I need to do something important. Have fun at dinner at least your not eating alone.

Jake”

Well at least Kat is still coming to eat with me, she will love this place too. I wonder of the Twins would like it here. I smile thinking about the three of us in this booth, having an amazing dinner together. Would this be the sort of place they would have taken me before they left? Would we have had date night together or one on one time? So many unanswered questions.

Shaking my head I pick up the menu to read through.