A Little Break

Chapter 34

Robert wasn’t Alex’s father. Those four words just keep repeating in my head like a broken record. How could this be happening? Why was it is happening? I left like it was a cruel joke that was aimed at me and intended to hurt me. That someone couldn’t make it easy for me for once.

“Would someone care to explain this to me a bit more?” my voice came out defeated. The renewed energy that I had from my shower was gone. The tension and stress had taken its prime location back in my body, weighing me down.

“We are trying to find out where Alex’s mother is. She is the one that holds all the answers to this. From what I can tell Robert truly believes that he is the father to Alex. Garrett is checking all of Alex’s medical records now. He has a friend at the hospital that is going over it with him. Garrett is going to talk to Robert and as well and see what he can find out about Alex’s mother and we can go from there.”

Dad was trying to be honest me that is why he was telling me this now and not when they had more information on the whole situation. I also knew that this was now a puzzle that Dad had all intention of solving.

“Why would you want Alex to come live with us Dad?” that is what I couldn’t really understand.

“Alex is going to be a shifter, he needs to be around others of his kind to make that shift easier on him. Most shifters spent their whole lives around others of their kind. We are animals that seek being in a group. Especially when we are young and pre-shift. We thrive on it and after our shift we are happy to wander on our own if need be, we go out seeking our mates. When we find them they become our main priority, then the streak we come from.”

I watched Dad run a tired hand over his face before continuing. “My point is if were aren’t around others before we shift, our animals are always restless. We can’t control them, the smallest things will cause a shift and that’s why others get hurt. If Alex is around our streak now he will adapt, he and his animal will coexist better when his shift comes. He doesn’t have to live with us. The Taylor’s have said that they will be happy for him to live with them. I just figured that you would be going back to school so you wouldn’t be there and he might feel more comfortable with that, as he adjusts to a life that he doesn’t know, but has no choice but live with”

My eyes flicked to the twins, who were still on either side of me holding my hands in a show of silent support. This was part of the conversation I was trying to have with them before Dad came back with this news.

I fought with everything that I had to stop the tears that were filling the backs of my eyes to not fall. I wanted easy, uncomplicated, happy life. My life was like that before the twins returned from there trip in my senior year. That trip where they shifted and came back to discover that I was there mate. Since then everything seems like it has been a struggle. A constant battle to find harmony.

I know what my life without the twins is like. I got to live that first hand for a few years. I was lonely and miserable. I existed in autopilot when they weren’t with me, I couldn’t do that again. I wouldn’t do that again. Right now I needed to accept what was best for this kid that didn’t ask for any of this. Whose world was about to be ass ended and a whole new life thrown in front of him.