Chapter Thirty-Seven

Dedicated to my loyal, amazing and beautiful fans who I adore

Chapter Thirty Seven

Everyone froze and once reality had kicked in, so did I.

My heart hammered against my chest. My mind, which had been filled with nothing but Mason, cleared and suddenly I became aware of each and every person in the room. The second Mason stepped back from me, I dared to open my eyes.

To my surprise it wasn't exactly the horror scene that I was expecting. Everyone stared, open mouthed at us and even the children had their eyes glued to Mason and I, but there were no pitch forks and abuse being hurled. My eyes followed the rows of faces until they landed on a very familiar pair. My dad stood behind Mason, his cheeks a little pink and a soft smile on his lips.

"Are you ok?" Mason whispered, drawing my attention back to him. I nodded, unable to speak. "I couldn't stop him." He bowed his head slightly, trying to hide the embarrassment that was obviously written all over his face.

I squeezed his hand in mine, "I'm not angry about that." I said and I was telling the truth. Yes, our packs found out in a different way than I would have wanted, but it didn't matter. Their opinion of us didn't matter and either way, they were going to find out somehow.

Giving me that small, corner of his lips lifting smile that sent my heart into a frenzy and knotted my stomach in the most pleasurable way possible, he turned to face my dad. "I understand your wife's feelings Mr Harper and I respect them, but she has to respect that Rain is my mate and nothing will change or stand in the way of that." With my hand still tight in his, he moved me around from behind him until I was standing beside him. "Of course I want your blessing and I haven't asked or proven in the best way that I deserve it, but she is safe with me and I would risk my own life to protect her. I'll treat her with nothing but respect and she will know every day how beautiful and important she is to me

The words falling from his mouth swelled my heart and by the looks of things, it had won my dad over as well. "You're mature for your age, son." He said with a warming smile. "And I believe every word you say. I know how important Rain is to you because my wife holds my heart in the same way. Please forgive what she has done this evening." The shame was for all to see

Mason held his hand out for him to take. "There's nothing to forgive. She's a mom and she worries."

I wasn't sure Alpha Vermont or Alpha Hudson would see it the same way, but I was grateful to Mason for saying that. "Still, that did not give her a reason to react the way she did." My dad shifted his attention to the two Alpha's standing still at the front of the room. "She just needs some time to come to terms with what's happening."

"As does everyone, Mr Harper." Alpha Vermont said. "I have welcomed Rainie into my family and my pack as my son's mate, but it's not just her who will risk sacrificing herself. Many of the woman and men here run the risk of losing their children."

He was right and I knew it, but that didn't stop the words cutting into me life a roughly edged blade. "She can have as much time as she needs." Mason said, turning toward everyone in the room. "Rain and I would like to have done this differently, but that doesn't matter now. We will have an announcing ceremony in two days, you are all welcome as our new, united pack."

Taking me by surprise, the room exploded into a round of applause. Each person cheering and giving us their congratulations.

Pulling me closer into his body, Mason's lips brushed my ear, "Looks like it's official, little kitten."

I smiled, not only to him, but the crowd of people who had their eyes solely focused on us.

* * *