Chapter Twenty - Mason's POV

Dedicated to AyshaKhatun for the brand new cover for Oh, So Now You Want Me? You're a sweetheart.

Chapter 20

Mason's POV

"That's all you got?" I baited her. Her face was bright red and drops of sweat ran down her temples. I could hear by her heavy panting and see by the quick rise and fall of her chest that she was absolutely exhausted. "Christ Rain, I thought you'd come at me with more than that." I never thought teasing her would be so amusing, but here, standing in front of her bent over frame I couldn't help but smirk.

"Shut up!" She straightened up, folded her arms tightly over her chest and glared at me for all she's worth. "You're trying to kill me." She growled at me, the perfect picture of a ruffled kitten.

Taking a step forward I caught the hesitation in her eyes, she didn't know what to do and a small mischievous grin appeared on my lips. "You're not," I narrowed my eyes, pretending to fumble around for the word, but instead having fun dragging the torture out, "scared, are you sweetheart?"

Huffing a breath out, her bangs blew from her eyes, she wasn't as red as she was, but her cheeks were still tainted pink. "Scared of you?" She giggled and I'd swear I had never heard anything more beautiful or melodic in my life. "You're an overgrown dog, why would you scare me?"

I stared back at her, my lips pressed together fighting back my laughter. "You do realise that would make you a dog as well?" Cocking my head to the side I watched as that little button nose of hers scrunched up in that adorable way and her lips puckered, she was thinking about what I had said.

Licking her lips she pulled her hair from her face and tied it back. "You're only a dog when you act like one," she stated, "and as I don't act like one and you do, that makes you the only dog here." The cheeky little smile that sat on her lips was triumphant.

Ignoring the snap from my wolf - he was not only basking in the sight of his mate's smile, but also at her feistiness - I easily let my lips relax into a one sided smirk. "Instead of running your mouth, why don't you show me what you've got, sweet cheeks."

It was her turn to smirk at me and within seconds an ash grey wolf appeared before me. I had only ever seen Rain once in her wolf form, she seemed a little bigger than I remembered and I knew it was probably thanks to all the training she was enduring. Her tail wagged behind her flashing the black tip and her ears were spiked, ready. My wolf almost burst through my skin at the sight of her, but I held him back enough to gain control.

When I found out that Rain had been attacked, I went into full battle mode. He was just a stupid rogue who thought he could push his luck on someone else's territory, so I knew he wouldn't be missed by anyone, not that I had been thinking that at the time. I wasn't after a conversation, I was after his blood. My wolf had completely taken over, the thought of someone hurting his mate was just too much for him and in all honesty I didn't even bother trying to stop him. 

A rage that I had never felt before washed over me and all I could think about at sight of her body trapped underneath him as he pinned her to the dirt with his weight, was to go at him and not stop until he was dead. 

The sound of his neck snapping between my teeth had my wolf reeling in both victory and dominance, but it was quickly replaced by worry as the heavy beat of Rain's heart pulsated through my ears and had my wolf instantly pull back wanting to tend to his mate. Killing other wolves wasn't something that was done day to day, but rogues were different. Never had I met a rogue that was good, they were all after something or someone from a pack and because of that they ended up dead. 

If my wolf hadn't already have had complete control over me, the sight of his mate's little body curled up with her head buried in her hands would have thrown him over the edge. In that minute she looked so fragile and innocent I wasn't sure whether me going to her was a good idea, but my wolf wouldn't have it any other way. He wanted to be near her, to touch her and to make sure she was safe.