Chapter Sixteen

Thank you to all my new fans and for everyone who commented on the last chapter, I read every single one and they honestly make my day. 

Chapter Sixteen

The air around us was thick with tension. Neither of us had spoken and I just wanted to be able to step into a time machine and turn back the clock. I had no idea what to say, no idea what Richard would say and I didn't even want to begin to think what was going through Mason's head right now.

Richard's fury filled eyes bore into Mason's before he turned his attention to me, his gaze softening slightly the longer he held mine. His voice was calm, but there was an edge to it that I didn't miss. "I need an explanation."

Mason snorted, "You don't need jack." Taking a firm, but gentle grip on my arm he pushed himself in front of me. "This is between me and Rain, not you." He spat his words with disgust.

Clasping his hands together in front of him, Richard's shoulders became rigid and his lips set in a straight line. "Rainie is a part of our pack and if I'm not mistaken, I believe I directed my request at her, not you." His eyes were firmly back burning holes into Mason. The bulging muscles in his arms tensed through his checked shirt.

I tried to move forward, past Mason, but he held my arm a little tighter keeping me in place. "You need to back the hell off." Mason seethed, becoming visibly more agitated by the second. This really wasn't going well.

Any other male wolf would have had their shoulders hunched and their heads down. None would dare to speak to Mason like that in the fear he'd tear their neck to shreds. Richard obviously didn't have that worry. "And you need to let Rainie go, you're hurting her."

Within seconds of those words falling from Richard's mouth, Mason turned to me, his features twisted with concern. I noticed his eyes weren't quite the electric blue they usually are, but they weren't entirely black either. "I'm sorry, my love." He whispered as his grip loosened.

He seemed almost pained at the thought of hurting me and his voice held such a sincerity, any words that were about to come out were stuck in my throat. Mason had never been like this towards me and I don't think he had apologized to anyone in the sixteen years of his existence.

Staring into his cerulean eyes, my lips lifted into a small smile telling him I was okay. I knew he was still having an internal battle with his wolf. Though he seemed to have more control over him then he did before, the protective and loving side of his wolf was still coming through strong and though I could hear my own wolf's protests trying to convince me otherwise, I knew it was only because his wolf that I was seeing this side to Mason.

"I think it's time for us to leave." Richard made an attempt to step closer to us, but was quickly stopped by the rumbling growl that bubbled inside of Mason's chest.

Turning his back to me, I flinched at Mason's voice. "You won't be taking her anywhere. You can go where you want, but Rain stays here." My own body started trembling, but it wasn't because my wolf wanted to come out - far from it - it was nothing but panic that was pulsating through me.

I didn't want Mason and Richard to fight; I just wanted everything to stop getting so damn complicated. Our packs barely spoke unless they had to and now two of them were standing square on ready to take each other out. "You will not tell her what to do. You're not her father and you're not her Alpha." Mason voice was laced with rage and authority.

Richard's fisted clenched and contracted at his sides. "I'm more to her than you are." He was normally the composed one in our pack, but I could see him slowly losing his temper. "How dare you think you can speak for someone from another pack?"