Chapter 1 - Morning Video-Chat

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

Hey everyone! Thanks so much for all the lovely comments on last week's Prologue - I'm so excited to see so many familiar usernames posting again :) I can't wait to hear your thoughts on this first chapter, I'm still writing the book as I go so it's really helpful to me to know what you like or don't like about the story!

Today's picture is a cover made by TheChronicCreator - I love how bright and quirky this design is, it's definitely a favourite of mine! More covers in chapters to come, and if anyone wants to send me their own designs or fan-art then just PM me :D

Please vote, comment and help spread the word as I'd love to get some more hits on here :3

Now let's get on with the story woohoo!
Becky xx

***

Chapter 1

Morning Video-Chat

It's been around twelve hours since I first watched the video. It was uploaded last night at 8.02pm. I clicked on it the moment it came up on my Facebook feed and I think the exact time will be forever burned into my brain for as long as I live.

I thought it had been an ordinary Youtube video, just like all the others that Sue-Ella uploads every week. She's my all-time favourite vlogger and I can't get enough of peering into her amazing world. She records videos on every topic under the sun, from clothes hauls to holidays to diary entries talking honestly about her daily life.

This was a video like that. A video about her life.

I never thought that watching someone else's life would completely destroy my own in the process.

I'm currently sitting on my bed, staring blankly at the white wall in front of me. I thought that maybe an early night would make me feel better. That somehow I would wake up and feel different, but the truth is that I don't. I still feel absolutely broken, like my heart has been physically torn out of my chest.

I don't understand why this is happening to me.

And now I'm just thinking about the moment all over again. When I watched the video and saw Sue-Ella talking with her infuriatingly pretty face up close to the camera. And of course, her big blue eyes and her flawless skin and her long, glossy brown hair were all looking as perfect as always.

The second she said it (three minutes and forty-two seconds into the video to be exact), my whole body jolted in shock. I thought I'd heard it wrong. It had to be a mistake. It HAD to be.

But then she turned the camera around and there he was. Right there. In her house. On her sofa. With her. Laughing his head off and holding up a hand to his face, begging not to be in the video and for her to stop filming him.

I can't bear this. It's looping around and around in my head non-stop. It's been replaying endlessly through the whole night and oh my God, I can't stop crying. I literally can't stop crying. I think I'm having a panic attack. I. Can't. Breathe.

It can't be real. It's just a nightmare. Or a prank. She's going to release another video any minute now saying it was just one big prank.

Only I keep refreshing her homepage on my phone, again and again and again, and nothing's coming up. Why is nothing coming up?!

I scramble off the bed and switch on my laptop in the corner of the room. I need to talk to someone. I need to talk to my friends. Right now. The screen takes so long to load that I feel like I'm about to go crazy.