Chapter 6 - Everything Changes

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

Hey y'all! This chapter features a lot of Sarah and Annabelle so I thought I'd put them up the top :) I decided to change Sarah to Zendaya since she's styled the cool dreadlocks I've always imagined Sarah to have. 

Leave a vote and comment to let me know what you think so far :D 
Much love,

Becky xx

***

Chapter 6

Everything Changes

The world is edging past the train window one inch at a time. Even in the dimming evening light, I can still make out the shape of the trees outside as they lurch in the distance. There are trees everywhere in Westerfield. They line the whole of the village like leafy prison bars.

I press my forehead against the window, taking in the two nervous green eyes reflecting back at me. I don't know if I'm ready for this. Annabelle and Sarah gave me a makeover before we came out, covering my face in their most expensive make-up. My skin looks flawless and my eyelashes are long and glittery. But it's all an illusion. Behind the foundation and mascara, I'm a red, blotchy mess.

I'm disguising myself as someone who wants to go out and have fun. And I don't think I'm fooling anyone. Least of all myself.

"What are you doing?" Annabelle laughs, pulling me away from the window. "You're gonna smear all my beautiful handiwork."

"Sorry," I mumble. "I was just looking at the rabbits outside."

My best friend doesn't look convinced at my lie. "Are you sure about that? Because it looks to me like you're still mooning over Kieran."

"No..." I can't quite meet her eye.

"Ash! You need to forget about him! Just focus on tonight and having a good time."

Sarah is sitting on the seats opposite us and she's nodding enthusiastically at Annabelle's words. "Yeah, exactly. You suggested we go out in the first place so you can't back out now!"

I shrink in my seat. All my bravado from earlier has disappeared. Now I just want to go back home and hide under my duvet. "I know..."

"Come on, buck up," Annabelle commands. "We're going to have a great night. And you look amazing in my dress. Maybe you'll pull someone really fit. That will definitely take your mind off Kieran."

There are so many things wrong with that sentence. First of all, I don't look amazing in Annabelle's dress, however much she and Sarah insists it suits me. Before we left, they spent an hour dressing me up in various pieces of clothing from Annabelle's wardrobe and I've ended up in something black and sparkly with a wide skirt. I love the design, but the problem is that Annabelle is taller than me so the straps keep slipping off my shoulders. I should have just stuck to my own outfit, but they were adamant that I needed a fresh new look to get over my heartbreak.

Secondly, I don't want to think about finding another guy right now. There is no one who will ever match up to Kieran. Not now. Maybe not ever. And anyway, who would even fancy me round here? I'm not glamorous and confident like Annabelle and Sarah. Relationships come easily to them and they always have boys who like them. I find stuff like that much, much harder.

Still, I know they're only trying to help. I guess I should be grateful that they're making an effort now since I was obviously getting on their nerves this morning.

"I doubt that I'll be pulling anything tonight," I reply, forcing a tiny smile. "Except maybe my leg in these heels." I wiggle my feet which are decked in black stilettos with silver sparkles on the toe. They are my favourite shoes in the world but I can barely walk a step in them without slipping up.