Chapter 11 - Crush

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

Hey guys! Got a Chunk-heavy chapter for you today :D Aw I love him so much <3

Also, big thank you to @fni-bee who has set up an Ask Blog for The Apple Inn on Tumblr! If anyone has any questions for Ash, Benji or Taylor then feel free to send them a message there:

http://ask-appleinn.tumblr.com/

Hope you're all still enjoying this story, can't believe it's been running 11 weeks now eeek :D

Much love,
Becky xxx

***

Chapter 11

Crush

I peer through the window of Chunk's shop before I walk through the door. Sure enough, he's there at the counter, looking a little worse for wear after our big night out. I can tell that he's also watching the racing on his phone because he doesn't look up once, not even when I finally enter the room.

"You know I don't get the appeal," I say, making him jump. "It's just a load of cars going round in a circle. You can't even see the hot guys under their helmets."

He rips a pair of headphones out of his ears and throws them hastily to the side. "Ash! What are you doing here?"

"Sorry, didn't mean to interrupt," I titter. "I know you were probably expecting an easy morning."

"Saturday's never an easy morning," Chunk answers, rubbing his face in his hands. He looks deathly white. I think he had a lot more to drink than I did last night. "I begged my Dad to swap shifts but he wouldn't do it. I think he just loves seeing me suffer."

I start to wander around the little store, looking for something I can pretend to buy. The truth is we don't need much, just potatoes. But I need to be in here longer if I want to get any info on Jaxon.

"You've got a brother right?" I ask, striking up conversation. Come on Ash, try to sound at least semi-normal. "Doesn't he ever do a shift here?"

Chunk shakes his head. "Nah, Max moved away last year. He's never been interested in the family business, he wants to do filmmaking instead. Dad was so disappointed."

My eyes widen in interest. "Really? Filmmaking sounds quite cool to me."

"Oh yeah, he's really good too. Luckily he's got his baby bro to step in and do fruit and veg duty while he gets to go off being all creative."

It's weird. I know so many people around my age in the village who work in their parent's shops or businesses. Most places in Westerfield are family-run and it prides itself on not having any chain stores or restaurants. That's why it's so surprising to hear of anyone leaving here to do something like Chunk's brother is doing. Sometimes you just forget that there's actually a whole world outside of Westerfield.

I feel a small pang in my stomach. A world outside of Westerfield. A world that my best friends and maybe even my brother might be venturing into very soon. Without me.

I have to change the subject.

"So, it was a great night last night wasn't it? Thanks so much for inviting me out."

"No problem," Chunk replies. He seems a little more subdued than normal. I hope he's not still feeling awkward about interrupting my kiss with Jaxon. It wasn't his fault, he was only trying to be helpful.

"And thanks for bringing me that glass of water," I continue, trying to make him feel better about the situation. "It was very thoughtful of you."

"You're welcome." Chunk doesn't meet my eye. Oh gosh, it's definitely still awkward. "How are you feeling now?"